Fractal Core 1000 front panel Mod

TJStamp
Go to solution Solved by HCP,

Found a pic in a build log, not mine. -> http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b4/b42d7a93_33-CaseShowcaseC.jpeg

I have mine in the closet somewhere, not used anymore, i can take more pics if you want.

I've not been able to find this out anywhere but hopefully there are some inventive Fractal Core 1000 owners on here. The front panel has a pair of 5.25" bays, which is nice... The mesh below is the same width all the way to the bottom and from the photos I've found of it seem to suggest that there may be room for you to remove the mesh front completely and gain 6 additional 5.25" bays. I'm looking into using it potentially for a new NAS build and some 5-in-3 drive cages would suit this case size/design perfectly. Has anyone tried this or figured out if it is possible?

I'm on a horse...

Gaming Rig | Storage Server | Virtual Server | HTPC

Could be possible but I would pick the R4 anyday, the R5 just came out and the R4 is on sale at like $80 on rebate. you can add 8 HDD and 2 SSD at the back of the mobo. Also the case is VERY silent. 

you can also add 2 HDD in the 5.25 bay, so that's a total of 10 HDD.

You can, but its alot of cutting the case structure. You are better off buying another case.

I solved my Core1000 NAS like this, 6 drives + ssd

3-bay hotswap in the top, 3bay internal bay from another case in the bottom with sticky tape - rock solid :)

fractal-core1000-mod4.jpg
More pics -> http://www.howi.se/projects-mods/fractal-design-core-1000/

You can, but its alot of cutting the case structure. You are better off buying another case.

I solved my Core1000 NAS like this, 6 drives + ssd

3-bay hotswap in the top, 3bay internal bay from another case in the bottom with sticky tape - rock solid :)

Great looking build ! It's pretty much the same thing I was hoping to do, I just want all the drives to be hot-swappable. I might just get the case anyway, don't suppose you ever took any photos of the front of the case with the panel removed? Curious to see how much metal would need removing.

I'm on a horse...

Found a pic in a build log, not mine. -> http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b4/b42d7a93_33-CaseShowcaseC.jpeg

I have mine in the closet somewhere, not used anymore, i can take more pics if you want.

Thanks for digging that up, was looking for hours earlier and couldn't find any :)  That's pretty clear, doesn't look like modding the front would be too difficult to do, will have to get one and sharpen the dremel

I'm on a horse...