MSI H81M-E35 V2 not booting

bugman12

Hi guys,

I have recently finished assembling my new rig and it looks amazing. However there is a tiny issue that it does not boot at all! I am using a pentium G3258 with this mobo, is it compatibility issues that I have to update the mobo first before I can use this cpu with this mobo?

Otherwise I see no reason why it cannot boot :(

Thank You

The G3258 is a haswell refresh CPU and so only 97 (h97 and z97) boards are guaranteed to work with it out of the box. Your motherboard probably supports the CPU, but needs a bios update.

The catch-22 is you need to update the bios to make your CPU work, but you need a working CPU to update the bios.

The G3258 is a haswell refresh CPU and so only 97 (h97 and z97) boards are guaranteed to work with it out of the box. Your motherboard probably supports the CPU, but needs a bios update.

The catch-22 is you need to update the bios to make your CPU work, but you need a working CPU to update the bios.

As I feared.. Is there anyway for me to check its BIOS version without booting up? (because I cant, and I want to make sure this is the problem) thanks :) 

If there is, check your manual. I'm personally not aware of one though as I don't own that board.

you might be out of luck here

go back to the store to get a cheap Celeron CPU to boot to BIOS then update from there the BIOS which your download into your thumbdrive

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

you might be out of luck here

go back to the store to get a cheap Celeron CPU to boot to BIOS then update from there the BIOS which your download into your thumbdrive

How do I know which cpu are supported? Assuming the mb has the oldest bios version

How do I know which cpu are supported? Assuming the mb has the oldest bios version

most board will work with the Haswell CPU

just ask for the cheapest CPU which can fit the LGA1150 socket

the Pentium G3258 is considered to be Haswell Refresh

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Original haswell CPUs are supported while haswell refresh CPUs are not.

most board will work with the Haswell CPU

just ask for the cheapest CPU which can fit the LGA1150 socket

the Pentium G3258 is considered to be Haswell Refresh

Wow thanks so much for the help! Now i need to find another cpu ... :wacko:

Here you go. On the right by result is the BIOS file. "...M0" is the oldest, "...M2" is newest.

http://us.msi.com/support/mb/H81ME35_V2.html#support-cpu

Thank you! This webpage doesn't load on my mobile hence I thought the site was spoilt. It seems to be the latest firmware M2 hence I think thats the issue ...