my 970 is not folding properly

I've been away a lot and busy, but I thought I'd stop by and ask what the hell is up with my first 970 on my folding rig? (reference, no OC)

I just don't have the time to solve it myself. 

I install F@H, it does 1 or 2 god damn core 17 WUs, and only gets about 50k PPD while doing it. Then it switches to core 18 and gets less than 25k PPD at best, sometimes it get less than 1k. I have to re-install to even get core 17 to work again. 

Something aint right, I can run games while folding at full power. Shouldn't it be using like absolutely 100% of the GPU? IDK I have it set to be at full power. 

And don't give me that it'll even itself out crap, I folded for 3 days and got 9k points once. This aint right and I have no time or patience for that crap. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I've been away a lot and busy, but I thought I'd stop by and ask what the hell is up with my first 970 on my folding rig? (reference, no OC)

I just don't have the time to solve it myself. 

I install F@H, it does 1 or 2 god damn core 17 WUs, and only gets about 50k PPD while doing it. Then it switches to core 18 and gets less than 25k PPD at best, sometimes it get less than 1k. I have to re-install to even get core 17 to work again. 

Something aint right, I can run games while folding at full power. Shouldn't it be using like absolutely 100% of the GPU? IDK I have it set to be at full power. 

And don't give me that it'll even itself out crap, I folded for 3 days and got 9k points once. This aint right and I have no time or patience for that crap. 

mine uses 90%, but it is acting weird too. I am only getting 170k PPD and a 780 gets over 200k. Is this the core thing?: 0x18

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

mine uses 90%, but it is acting weird too. I am only getting 170k PPD and a 780 gets over 200k. Is this the core thing?: 0x18

I think partly. But even on core 17 I get 50k max. So only half of my issue. I do n't want to buy more 970s until I get this sorted out. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I think partly. But even on core 17 I get 50k max. So only half of my issue. I do n't want to buy more 970s until I get this sorted out. 

does your screen look like this? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/280476-setup-new-gpu-in-fh-did-i-do-it-correct/

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

idk my CPU is not folding, and I was getting like 400 ppd on core 18 towards the end...I just shut it off for now. Ridiculous. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@LarsReviews

did you end up solving your issue? 

muh specs 

All parts black

what's your TPF on the core 17 wu's? and what is your gpu utilization like?

it should be 90%+ and somewhat stable, i will assume that you have remembered

to enter a correct and valid passkey so you are not just receiving the base credit. 

You should see that in your client under estimated credit, whether it assumes you

will get QRB or just the base credit. 

And are you sure you are actually finishing the wu's and not failing ? considering i

can't see any wu's recently uploaded by you.

You are the only one that can solve this, all we can do is help troubleshooting. Don't 

run games while folding, that is just asking for trouble.. i am surprised you haven't 

crashed, which again leads me back to the question of gpu utilization from folding. 

what's your TPF on the core 17 wu's? and what is your gpu utilization like?

it should be 90%+ and somewhat stable, i will assume that you have remembered

to enter a correct and valid passkey so you are not just receiving the base credit. 

You should see that in your client under estimated credit, whether it assumes you

will get QRB or just the base credit. 

And are you sure you are actually finishing the wu's and not failing ? considering i

can't see any wu's recently uploaded by you.

You are the only one that can solve this, all we can do is help troubleshooting. Don't 

run games while folding, that is just asking for trouble.. i am surprised you haven't 

crashed, which again leads me back to the question of gpu utilization from folding. 

Well the games thing was just abnormal, and an accident I forgot to stop folding. It was only using about half the gpu power and not taking priority despite being set to do so, even in windows. The utilization was 90+ like normal, but the computer was usable, not right really. 

Now it's usable but wont even play videos, so I have progress in the right direction for usage. My numbers are much better on core 17.

I now have a random core 17 WU, and with some driver work it is now at like 2 mins 14 secs tpf, and the PPD seems to more reflect my GPU on startup, above 200k (but I expect it to be better over time)

Core 18 still blows when I get them, a driver issue on NVIDIAs part that as far as I'm aware has not been fix yet.

On OCN they suggested to run linux to get only core 17 if that's what I wanted, as core 18 and 15 apparently don't work on linux. 

Not all of my folding is done under Syntaxvgm btw, but I am starting it now. 

I don't expect any failed WUs, but I'll keep an eye on my log. I have no overclocks. 

muh specs 

All parts black