HDD to SSD Cloning Help!

QuadNine

So I have an hdd from one of my old computer, and am planning to get an SSD, If I conle it will the Windows come with it, cause I have an windows 7 upgrade, so I was wondering will that work?

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

i would save my data on a usb key or HDD external or not. its always better to start with a fresh installation. imho.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

i would save my data on a usb key or HDD external or not. its always better to start with a fresh installation. imho.

Wait what do you mean, I have a HDD with Windows, will I be able to transfer it to my SSD With no problems, Then upgrade it to windows 7 with an upgrade disc.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Basically it's best to do a clean install onto the SSD without the HDD plugged into the system, then once it's set up and running, you can plug the HDD in and access your stuff, copy what you want to save to an external drive or the SSD, then reformat the HDD and continue from there, it's touch & go cloning windows 7 across to an SSD from a HDD

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Basically it's best to do a clean install onto the SSD without the HDD plugged into the system, then once it's set up and running, you can plug the HDD in and access your stuff, copy what you want to save to an external drive or the SSD, then reformat the HDD and continue from there, it's touch & go cloning windows 7 across to an SSD from a HDD

Im a bit confused, about "Clean Install"

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Im a bit confused, about "Clean Install"

i meant a windows installation from scrach, same cd-key and all, implying you have a Win7 installation disk/drive. then you download all your favorite utilities with this

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

i meant a windows installation from scrach, same cd-key and all, implying you have a Win7 installation disk/drive. then you download all your favorite utilities with this

The disk that I have is just an upgrade. So am I able to move the windows from a HDD to my SSD then upgrade it. The disc is just an upgrade disc.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Hi there @QuadNine!

I agree with @OnekillWalter here that it will be better to do a fresh installation of Windows.

However, if you decide to clone the drive and then upgrade the OS, there wouldn't be any problems to do so. 

Cheers and happy holidays! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/