Small Home Server - this time without Noctuas :( - yet! :D

enthalpy

Hey Guys! So I made up my mind... and my Home Server is going to be build over the next days ;) The Hardware has already been ordered =))

1060862.jpg

Under Construction! - Details later today!

What is the Server used for?

* NAS functionality (without RAID, because no need for)

* Teamspeak 3

* CS:GO Server for clan training and practice

* Webserver for a photography blog

* Backup for my data - lots of photos and videos!

* Media server for the family :)

What are the planned specs?

* Intel Celeron G1840 2x2.80 GHz --> Powerefficient 

* 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 --> more than enough

* 360 Watt Seasonic G Serie 360 (80+ GOLD) -->  most efficient low wattage PSU with enough connectors

* Cooltek W1 Mini ITX Tower

* ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac  <-- got it cheap (30€ off) and the Z97 offers a lot of SATA 6Gbit ;)

* 128GB Crucial MX100 2.5" for the OS and Gameservers

Harddrives

I too am following :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Thx for the follows :) The Case has been shipped today!

And I also dredged up some unused/old HDDs. No need for new ones yet. But I am going to order some 3TB WD-Red. 

HDDs so far:

1x 640GB WD Cavier Blue 

1x 750GB Samsung 7.200RPM

2x 1000GB Seagate Barracuda 7.200RPM

And 1x Crucial MX100 128GB for the OS and for the Gaming and Web Servers =)

Details to the main components (board, cpu etc) come as soon as the postman gave them to me :P not sure of the final specs yet!

post-17859-0-04646600-1419862161_thumb.j

Followed. Thats awesome, please post further Specs!

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

DONT U USE A FUCKING CELERON! I have one in my old pc and I regret it SO MUCH

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

what software are you going to use? my friend wants to do something identical and very curious

Windows Server 2012 R2 :)

DONT U USE A FUCKING CELERON! I have one in my old pc and I regret it SO MUCH

Thats sad to hear. But no worries. The celeron is 30€... if it is too slow, i put another cpu into the server :)

Windows Server 2012 R2 :)

Thats sad to hear. But no worries. The celeron is 30€... if it is too slow, i put another cpu into the server :)

and what software to make it a "nas"? and all the other servers will work just fine? and I was going to go with a pentium. tad more but for game servers, they will benefit. 

To be honest, it is the first time that i build a server ;) I don't need software to use it as a NAS, because i only use Samba shares. I won't use any RAID mode, because I don't need redundancy within the server. There is always an offline Backup that is generated every weekend and is not connected to system. Teamspeak, CSGO and other software should run just fine. Currently i am doing the same thing on an old laptop with Win7x64, but i want to learn about Windows Server 2012 R2, so i decided to give it a try :)

If the celeron is too weak, i will put my i3-4330 from little sister into the server and she gets an xeon :)

To be honest, it is the first time that i build a server ;) I don't need software to use it as a NAS, because i only use Samba shares. I won't use any RAID mode, because I don't need redundancy within the server. There is always an offline Backup that is generated every weekend and is not connected to system. Teamspeak, CSGO and other software should run just fine. Currently i am doing the same thing on an old laptop with Win7x64, but i want to learn about Windows Server 2012 R2, so i decided to give it a try :)

If the celeron is too weak, i will put my i3-4330 from little sister into the server and she gets an xeon :)

A $50 Pentium is enough for just shares. Anything above that is for specific scenarios which in your case you should be fine. 

Wait, Instead of putting the Xeon in the Server you put it in "Noctuas Little Sister", really?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Seems promising. Very curious to see how it turns out, good luck! :D

Wait, Instead of putting the Xeon in the Server you put it in "Noctuas Little Sister", really?

Yes. Because a fileserver with some TS3 and CSGO doesnt need a xeon. :) And Little Sister is a full gaming / LAN rig :) And also energy is not that cheap in germany :( idle 25W or 40W makes a huge difference :(

Interesting CPU Choice. Why didn't you got with a Pentium for just a little more power?

I got the 4330. It is fast enough for almost everything, but I feel like I need more threads. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I'm also confused on your choice for OS. You're using a Windows Server 2012 RC for a photo web site and shares? Why would you pop that much money into a server for something like that? Those wouldn't need the robustness of that server environment. You could easily get by with a free Ubuntu Server or even Windows 8. 

Interesting CPU Choice. Why didn't you got with a Pentium for just a little more power?

I got the 4330. It is fast enough for almost everything, but I feel like I need more threads. 

Because the Celeron has a better bang for the buck ratio ^^ If it is too slow, i dont care about 30€ :) but the next pentium was about 20-30% more expensive for 15% more power or sth like this. i had seen some benchmarks :)

I'm also confused on your choice for OS. You're using a Windows Server 2012 RC for a photo web site and shares? Why would you pop that much money into a server for something like that? Those wouldn't need the robustness of that server environment. You could easily get by with a free Ubuntu Server or even Windows 8. 

Windows 7/8 would also be an option :) I just want to try it out. I am getting all Windows versions for free at my university. but you are completely right! windows 7/8 would be really okay for a simple server like this

No Noctua's? I hate this build log already! 2/10 IGN

j/k looking forward to it! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Pretty case

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That triple monitor setup... JUST AMAZENG

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

You just had to put "server" in the thread title, didn't you? :P

That's like an auto-follow from me (well, almost). :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic