Is SLI as bad as Crossfire?

Cheddle

I crossfired r9 290's

I didnt like it... many games had issues and stuttering... some games didnt support it.

Is SLI the same deal? is it better?

Whats the go. can someone who has done both offer me some input?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

less microstuttering, but about the same scaing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There ya go

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

why tf you lookin to sli with a 980!?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Right now I have zero issues with my SLI configuration, I did have some microstuttering while playing Battlefield 4 so I turned off fraps and it went away.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

If you're the kind that play many type of games, better get a single card. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I guess the problem is that he is trying to drive a 4K monitor.

Multiple GPU setups almost always have coherent issues. That's why the TITAN was so big as it was when the first one ever launched. Personally I would be waiting out on the R9 390X to show its face as sticking to a single GPU solution is the best way to go.

This is why 4K gaming still seems to me like a really risky way to go. If you're relying on SLI/Crossfire just to get you to 60 FPS in many games, what are you going to do when SLI/Crossfire support is patchy or missing (which is often)? Play at ~30 FPS and/or low details on a several thousand dollar rig, I guess.

I don't know if SLI is drastically more reliable than Crossfire. Nvidia's tighter controls over SLI may result in somewhat better reliability at times, but that obviously has other downsides.

i haven't had any issues with my sli yet

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I have SLI 980s in a small mATX case. Airflow is good but not the best. I have heat issues in that the fans spin up quite a lot because one is starved for air but not enough to throttle. I deal with that by wearing headphones for games anyway so I don't notice it. Games are getting better at scaling and the only SLI issues I have are in games where SLI scaling is the least of its problems (Thanks Ubisoft)

I've done crossfire back when the ATI 4xxx series were the big cards. Dual 4870s and I even had a rig with 2 4870x2s. Both rigs were nothing but headaches.

Both technologies have come a long way since then but all my experiences with SLI have been better than those with my early experience with crossfire. I can't speak from experience about current crossfire, I just don't know enough about it.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

Actually Crossfire, especially starting from 290's, have lower frame times and the ripple is much lower than SLI.

I never have stutter with my SLI. But that may be just me. 

i havent had any real issues either

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

thanks all who commented with no issues.

4k monitor... 

I guess the problem is that he is trying to drive a 4K monitor.

mmm hmmm - its a PITA, but worth... about half the games I play run 50-60 fps on a single card, but others are more like 20-40 fps... I really like V-sync and at such low FPS the input lag is ruining my brain.

I play plenty of different games... but I am thinking the ones that really push the card are the AAA titles that usually have good support for dual cards

Multiple GPU setups almost always have coherent issues. That's why the TITAN was so big as it was when the first one ever launched. Personally I would be waiting out on the R9 390X to show its face as sticking to a single GPU solution is the best way to go.

I agree... the overall experience when it comes to driver update and installation procedure really leads me to favour Nvidia over AMD, I went from 6870 to a 770 to a 290 to crossfire 290s to 980s and AMD was a problem every time. Nvidia no such issue... I really want the tech in the AMD 390x to be great, maybe ill try one... but more than likely ill just use its launch as a price crash on the 980 and buy another one at that time

This is why 4K gaming still seems to me like a really risky way to go. If you're relying on SLI/Crossfire just to get you to 60 FPS in many games, what are you going to do when SLI/Crossfire support is patchy or missing (which is often)? Play at ~30 FPS and/or low details on a several thousand dollar rig, I guess.

I don't know if SLI is drastically more reliable than Crossfire. Nvidia's tighter controls over SLI may result in somewhat better reliability at times, but that obviously has other downsides.

its not exactly risky, I downscale to 1440p when I cant get good frames at 4k (maybe 20% of the time) and it still looks plenty better than 1080. if I had two cards and the SLI was terrible I would have to do the same, the problem would be sinking another $800 into my rig to have a better time, half the time... wasnt worth it with the r9 290's

I have SLI 980s in a small mATX case. Airflow is good but not the best. I have heat issues in that the fans spin up quite a lot because one is starved for air but not enough to throttle. I deal with that by wearing headphones for games anyway so I don't notice it. Games are getting better at scaling and the only SLI issues I have are in games where SLI scaling is the least of its problems (Thanks Ubisoft)

I've done crossfire back when the ATI 4xxx series were the big cards. Dual 4870s and I even had a rig with 2 4870x2s. Both rigs were nothing but headaches.

Both technologies have come a long way since then but all my experiences with SLI have been better than those with my early experience with crossfire. I can't speak from experience about current crossfire, I just don't know enough about it.

I actually have a spare rig with 4870s in it, I have a 4850 as well, played around and your right in that crossfire from those days really sucked... crossfire r9 290s was better.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

They're pretty much identical

Why not?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I've used both several times and have never had problems with either, sorry to hear you had problems with the 290s :/

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Only had issues in sli cuz of my stock/boost clocks on my cpu. I love sli. I always prefer two cards in my systems.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz