Budget i7 950 (LGA 1366) cooler?

So my i7 950 never got an upgrade from the stock cooler. I don't know that I need to OC it yet, as I haven't ever really maxxed it out.

Normally I just game on this machine. I don't know that I've ever REALLY taxed the cpu enough to OC but I'd like to open up the option by beefing up the cooling from the stock cooler.

Can I get away with a cheap but better than stock heatsink/fan (and what would you recommend under $50) or should I suck it up and start saving for a water cooled solution (and what might you recommend for a no frills, inexpensive closed loop setup) ?

Cheers.

post-175725-0-80201800-1419788292.jpg

Hyper 212 Evo if you want a budget cooler.

/thread

Sig under construction.

So my i7 950 never got an upgrade from the stock cooler. I don't know that I need to OC it yet, as I haven't ever really maxxed it out.

Normally I just game on this machine. I don't know that I've ever REALLY taxed the cpu enough to OC but I'd like to open up the option by beefing up the cooling from the stock cooler.

Can I get away with a cheap but better than stock heatsink/fan (and what would you recommend under $50) or should I suck it up and start saving for a water cooled solution (and what might you recommend for a no frills, inexpensive closed loop setup) ?

Cheers.

Maybe save up some more and get an NH-U12S? Noctua will give you a free 1366 mounting kit.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hyper 212 Evo if you want a budget cooler.

/thread

At ~$10 more than the noctua above, less heat pipes, and less airflow, how did you come about this decision?

Is there really nothing in the sub ~$50 range that's worth replacing the stock cooler with?

I haven't bought a cpu cooler since my old AMD 5000+ black edition. 

Maybe save up some more and get an NH-U12S? Noctua will give you a free 1366 mounting kit.

Got a link to where noctua shows they make a 1366 kit for that cooler? I'm not seeing anything on the compatibility chart on their website.

Got a link to where noctua shows they make a 1366 kit for that cooler? I'm not seeing anything on the compatibility chart on their website.

Here you go. http://noctua.at/main.php?show=nm_i3_upgrade_order

You can order the 1366 mounting kit here for free (after ordering the cooler and providing a proof of purchase for that CPU).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.