Is having a lot of RAM a "must-need" for VR headsets such as the Oculus Rift?

InfamousMEE

One of my friends told me this. I have researched this but not found anybody supporting this fact.

If I'm wrong or not. What is needed or recommended for for the best experience?

I believe the DK2 has 2 1024x1024 displays.

You would need a PC that can run that resolution at high/ultra, for an enjoyable experience.

Depends on the game., but some games might require more than 8 GB (the pretty much standard for PC gaming at this moment.), but not anything over the top (like it doesn't need 64 GB..)

How much RAM were you thinking about?
And don't forget to follow your topics @InfamousMEE

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

One of my friends told me this. I have researched this but not found anybody supporting this fact.

system ram? should be no diffrent then if it was on any other display. VRAM? will, its 1080P 3d. so, because its 3d your rendering the image twice. so will most likely benefit from more vram. but system ram? probably no difference. 

I run 4k comfortably with 8gb of ram :) I can see no reason whatsoever why 2048x1024 should require any more than that...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You would need a PC that can run that resolution at high/ultra, for an enjoyable experience.

Depends on the game., but some games might require more than 8 GB (the pretty much standard for PC gaming at this moment.), but not anything over the top (like it doesn't need 64 GB..)

I was thinking 32 would be the best for it

yah yah about following it, i forget sometimes, i wish it just followed automatically.

I was thinking 32 would be the best for it

yah yah about following it, i forget sometimes, i wish it just followed automatically.

I feel like 32 GB might be a little bit overkill.. For now.

Lots of games now require 4 GB and recommend 8 GB. Lets say that number is doubled because of the 2x rendering (probably a bad comparison.. But hey..)

You get like 16 GB. I feel like 16 GB at the moment should be enough for the Rift

EDIT: I already asked if they could make following opt out instead of opt in, so following would be standard.

They said they couldn't do it right now, but will in the next site update or something

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The current DK2 has a single 1080p display, which is split to render an image for each eye.

If you can run games at 75Hz with VSync on the settings you want at 1080p, you should be fine.

There is an additional overhead for the rendering in 3D, but to my knowledge its about 15% drop maximum.

System RAM shouldn't be required in anyway more than normal games need it.

Just because its being used on the Rift doesn't add more RAM requirements.

Same should hold for the consumer version when that is out, just the resolution requirement will go up and the frame rate requirement will be 90Hz to my knowledge.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

DK2 has 2x 1080*960 screens so it is basically 1920*1080 screen split into two screens and anyways, afaik resolution does not affect how much ram your pc uses, but it has high effect on how much vram your pc uses.

Curing shitposts by shitposts