No Recognition Between Z97-A Motherboard and GTX 970 Card

I am installing the card into my old desktop now, also the BIOS reset did not help the nvidia driver to recognize the card

With that old desktop, install both cards one by one to see if they both work. If they do, it only reinforces my idea that the motherboard is the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With that old desktop, install both cards one by one to see if they both work. If they do, it only reinforces my idea that the motherboard is the issue.

The Battery is VERY old and isn't modular like the one I have and there simply aren't enough cables to power the card.  I have decided to take the system apart and build it outside of the case from scratch.  Thank you very much though for all the help, I did not expect this much help from a website forum!  I will update this post later tomorrow if the reconstruction worked or not though.  Again I appreciate the help, PCMASTERRACE :) 

If the old computer recognizes each card the problem is for sure somewhere in the newer system, but it might not be a bad board, it could just need an updated BIOS.

If the old computer recognizes each card the problem is for sure somewhere in the newer system, but it might not be a bad board, it could just need an updated BIOS.

I don't think the BIOS is the issue. I'm using a Z77 board with an out of the box BIOS with a GTX 970.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The Battery is VERY old and isn't modular like the one I have and there simply aren't enough cables to power the card. I have decided to take the system apart and build it outside of the case from scratch. Thank you very much though for all the help, I did not expect this much help from a website forum! I will update this post later tomorrow if the reconstruction worked or not though. Again I appreciate the help, PCMASTERRACE :)

I mean using them individually. Not at the same time.

The Battery is VERY old and isn't modular like the one I have and there simply aren't enough cables to power the card

Not sure what you mean by that.  Each 970 will need a 6+2 and 6 pin connection, and the PSU must be able to provide enough juice to properly supply each.  If the PSU cannot supply enough power the operating voltages will drop and neither card will work properly.

I don't think the BIOS is the issue. I'm using a Z77 board with an out of the box BIOS with a GTX 970.

You are probably correct, but I'd still want to rule out every possible easy fix before declaring the diagnosis.

Not sure what you mean by that. Each 970 will need a 6+2 and 6 pin connection, and the PSU must be able to provide enough juice to properly supply each. If the PSU cannot supply enough power the operating voltages will drop and neither card will work properly.

Or something more... Magical will happen.

OP, are you actually referring to the battery or the power supply unit?

Are you plugging the hdmi cable into the motherboard? Or the GPU. Try booting with the hdmi in the GPU

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Is there an option in the BIOS to turn integrated graphics off? Try that.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm having exactly the same problem with my Z97-A and my MIS GTX 970 (no SLI - just 1 GPU). Did you found a solution?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Okay now im worried, I bought the asus z97a and my gigabyte g1 970 will be here tomorrow. This is my 1st build and I hope I don't run into issues. Im going to follow the asus guide video and get it to post before installing everything and also update the bios w a flash drive like he did. Hoping that will go smooth since idk a whole lot.

The HDMI cord was also connected to the motherboard when it worked during the single card test. (which worked)

This means it did not work. You were using the integrated graphics. That's why your nvidia drivers would not install.

I don't know why but no one seems to have pointed this out.

If you're plugging the monitor into the motherboard port you are NOT using your graphics cards. You need to do this in steps.

1. Plug HDMI into motherboard video

2. Boot into the BIOS

3. Disable the Integrated Graphics, and set PCI-E to first display initialized.

4. Save and exit. Unplug HDMI from motherboard, plug into top video card.

If it doesn't work from here, you have a problem. Try each card on its own first. Also if you have a DVI cable try that too, sometimes HDMI just doesn't like to come out and play.

Try the steps I listed and if they don't work then we'll investigate further.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to pass on what worked for me with a z97-a installing an r9 290. In my case onboard graphics disabled as expected when I installed the card in the slot but nothing coming out of the card, so no display at all. Nevertheless may be a similar issue. I unplugged the card so could use onboard again, went into the NB PCIe config in bios and changed the PCIe speed from auto to gen3. Booted again with the card back in and lo there was light and all worked.

If nothing else works from what other users told you, you may have a dud card.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud