Macbook Pro with a GTX 980 Setup Guide & Benchmarks [eGPU setup, Windows 10]

Firearm2112

@Firearm2112 Would I be correct to think that the 2.8GHz i7 (4980HQ) in the 15" RMBP would hold back a Titan X by quite a bit?

I wonder this because I sort of would rather spend $1k on a GPU rather than a whole build to compliment a cheaper RMBP. Also because I want to run a higher than FHD display.

Though I run into another issue is that I am then spending an extra $1k on a higher resolution monitor (UHD/1440p or QHD/4k) so really it's like I sort of hope that LG launches a 29" 4k display that has Freesync and is possibly 21:9.

What year did that come out in? As long as its 2013 or after it shouldnt be that bad of a hold back

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

What year did that come out in? As long as its 2013 or after it shouldnt be that bad of a hold back

2014 RMBP 15" is the one I'm referring to. Though each peiece may be a slow acquisition considering the total would run me out of my initial/start-up max of $5,500 (which includes bits and pieces for making the configuration I'm planning for next year really be useful). Of course I suspect that when/if Apple updates the 15" RMBP this year it'll run basically the same-broadwell equivalent.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

@Firearm2112 Would I be correct to think that the 2.8GHz i7 (4980HQ) in the 15" RMBP would hold back a Titan X by quite a bit?

I wonder this because I sort of would rather spend $1k on a GPU rather than a whole build to compliment a cheaper RMBP. Also because I want to run a higher than FHD display.

Though I run into another issue is that I am then spending an extra $1k on a higher resolution monitor (UHD/1440p or QHD/4k) so really it's like I sort of hope that LG launches a 29" 4k display that has Freesync and is possibly 21:9.

Nvidia GPUs don't support Free-Sync so the Free-Sync capabilities of that monitor would be totally useless.

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

Nvidia GPUs don't support Free-Sync so the Free-Sync capabilities of that monitor would be totally useless.

I know, I'd buy a R9 390X instead since it's expected to be comparable to a Titan X. 

Fixed your first image, looked way too warm. ;)

-snip-

thanks man! will use this

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Hi man!

I just bought and installed the PSU, Akitio thunderbolt 2 and geforce 980 as shown :)

When I turn on my imac at the same time as the akitio and PSU, looks like it disable my wireless card and xtreme ethernet card. I can see it in the device manager of Windows 8.1

When I turn on my akiktio / psu at the same time as the windows logo appear, my wireless card and extreme ethernet card works. The problem is that in the device manager, I can only see my old geforce card. The 980 doesn’t appear? Do you have an idea. The driver is up to date. 

Thanks!!

Vince

Hi man!

I just bought and installed the PSU, Akitio thunderbolt 2 and geforce 980 as shown :)

When I turn on my imac at the same time as the akitio and PSU, looks like it disable my wireless card and xtreme ethernet card. I can see it in the device manager of Windows 8.1

When I turn on my akiktio / psu at the same time as the windows logo appear, my wireless card and extreme ethernet card works. The problem is that in the device manager, I can only see my old geforce card. The 980 doesn’t appear? Do you have an idea. The driver is up to date. 

Thanks!!

Vince

When you turn on both at the same time does the GTX 980 show up in device manager

When you turn on both at the same time does the GTX 980 show up in device manager

I reinstall Windows and it worked! Thanks! 

Do I need to disable my internal geforce card? 

I reinstall Windows and it worked! Thanks! 

Do I need to disable my internal geforce card? 

Yes, I think. Let me know if you have any other questions

I know, I'd buy a R9 390X instead since it's expected to be comparable to a Titan X. 

If the 390X is even with a suspected 980Ti or remotely close to a Titan X, then AMD might have a serious powerhouse single gpu for the first time in forever and potentially make Nvidia step up there game.  I hope the 390X is good so we get actual competition between Nvidia and AMD...but personal GPU quibbles aside... I think people have been having problems getting this to work with non-Maxwell based cards.

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

If the 390X is even with a suspected 980Ti or remotely close to a Titan X, then AMD might have a serious powerhouse single gpu for the first time in forever and potentially make Nvidia step up there game.  I hope the 390X is good so we get actual competition between Nvidia and AMD...but personal GPU quibbles aside... I think people have been having problems getting this to work with non-Maxwell based cards.

I suppose more recently Apple has favored Nvidia GPUs it would only be most likely certain that Apple would be friendlier on Maxwell cards through their Windows drivers. Though on Windows, I would suspect that it's easier to bypass some Apple imposed limitations. 

I suppose more recently Apple has favored Nvidia GPUs it would only be most likely certain that Apple would be friendlier on Maxwell cards through their Windows drivers. Though on Windows, I would suspect that it's easier to bypass some Apple imposed limitations. 

Bypassing Apple limitations is much easier on windows.  Take this thread for example, eGPUs I know of one person who got an eGPU working in OS X versus the many who have gotten them working in windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have just finished my 3rd eGPU project to fit a Galax GTX 970 into a AKiTiO case and power everthing with an external Dell DA-2 220W PSU.

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg

Hi,

I have macbook pro early 2013 i7 2.4 GHz, 4 cores (thunderbolt 1).

How much % of the GPU power will I lose in the process?

Also, do I need to buy a monitor or can I just use the macbook screen?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have macbook pro early 2013 i7 2.4 GHz, 4 cores (thunderbolt 1).

How much % of the GPU power will I lose in the process?

Also, do I need to buy a monitor or can I just use the macbook screen?

Thanks!

It depends. In gaming, 5% or less. In other applications a little more

You do not need an external monitor if your CPU has Intel HD graphics

It depends. In gaming, 5% or less. In other applications a little more

You do not need an external monitor if your CPU has ONLY Intel HD graphics

FTFY

Also IIRC there's more of a performance hit using the internal monitor

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

My specs are in my signature, and my MacBook has TB2.  How much performance would I expect to lose?

My specs are in my signature, and my MacBook has TB2.  How much performance would I expect to lose?

Not much

ok thank you! And is the assembling complicated? And can I install Windows in boot camp or I need to do it the method you mentionned?

ok thank you! And is the assembling complicated? And can I install Windows in boot camp or I need to do it the method you mentionned?

The assembling is not super easy, but not super hard. Just be careful when slotting the GPU in the slot. Bootcamp works just fine

Hi, I have just finished my 3rd eGPU project to fit a Galax GTX 970 into a AKiTiO case and power everthing with an external Dell DA-2 220W PSU.

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg

That enclosed is sick!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

The assembling is not super easy, but not super hard. Just be careful when slotting the GPU in the slot. Bootcamp works just fine

Thanks! So basically, using a gtx 980 with my tb1 macbook pro will give me just about the performance of a gtx 970 on a normal desktop computer?

Thanks! So basically, using a gtx 980 with my tb1 macbook pro will give me just about the performance of a gtx 970 on a normal desktop computer?

depends on your cpu but sorta

depends on your cpu but sorta

4 core i7

Sorry if I am annoying I am just trying to make sure everything works fine before I buy!