Macbook Pro with a GTX 980 Setup Guide & Benchmarks [eGPU setup, Windows 10]

Firearm2112

The CPU will absolutely toast and probably bottleneck the Titan X, any way to help with cooling would make this much safer for the macbook.

As far as I know, there is no way to do what you are suggesting. I think there are pcie enclosures with 2 TB ports, but I do not believe it is possible to split the GPU bandwith between the two different connections.

I am not an expert on the topic, so take what I said with a grain of salt, but until OP responds, I would say this is the best answer you're going to get.

You got a parts list that will be under 500 use that will be good with a titan x?

If you don't mind bending the inner cage of the AKiTiO you just need:

- AKiTiO

- modern PSU <500W and enough PCIe plugs for the Titan X

- Molex to barrel plug to power the AKiTiO from the new PSU

You got a parts list that will be under 500 use that will be good with a titan x?

any 80+ Bronze 300 watt minimum psu that has 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin pcie power connector (corsair, evga, seasonic, xfx, rosewill, just a few brands there)

optional: any kind of case or enclosure you want

strongly recommended: a psu power jumper

optional: decoration

should come in to less than $220 USD

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

any 80+ Bronze 300 watt minimum psu that has 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin pcie power connector (corsair, evga, seasonic, xfx, rosewill, just a few brands there)

Imho, you shouldn't go cheap (low wattage). In theory 300W is fine, but most PSUs in that range don't provide the required 2x6-Pin (or 6+8-Pin) PCIe plugs or can handle the load on the 12V rail. I've read about so many people having problems with their eGPU system because of crappy PSUs.

Still, any not too old PSU with all the cables should be fine.

Imho, you shouldn't go cheap (low wattage). In theory 300W is fine, but most PSUs in that range don't provide the required 2x6-Pin (or 6+8-Pin) PCIe plugs or can handle the load on the 12V rail. I've read about so many people having problems with their eGPU system because of crappy PSUs.

Still, any not too old PSU with all the cables should be fine.

I haven't read about any eGPU "crappy PSU" problems with eGPUs and I've read a lot.  Can you link some?

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

I haven't read about any eGPU "crappy PSU" problems with eGPUs and I've read a lot.  Can you link some?

Its best to get a good quality PSU. I have the CX 430M and its on the cheap side, I would have gotten a higher quality one if I had more money

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

At techinferno there are often people writing stuff like... "and then I changed to a better PSU and all works now".

Can look up some of that posts :D

Its best to get a good quality PSU. I have the CX 430M and its on the cheap side, I would have gotten a higher quality one if I had more money

That is totally fine. It's more about people using 10 yeat old noname PSUs ;)

Weak PSUs just might have the problem that they can't provide enough power on the 12V rail and the eGPU system is not stable.

optional: any kind of case or enclosure you want

strongly recommended: a psu power jumper

optional: decoration

should come in to less than $220 USD

Is there an ITX case that I can combine with the AKiTiO? Also how bad will TB1 bottleneck a titan x?

Is there an ITX case that I can combine with the AKiTiO? Also how bad will TB1 bottleneck a titan x?

you would have to take the AKiTiO hardware and remove it from its chassis and then you could probably put it in any case you wanted if you didn't mind maybe drilling a few holes or something, OP did it to his (removing the hardware from the chassis) and he built his own case, you could do that too.

TB1 will horribly bottleneck a titan x is my guess.  its 10gb/s which can only be used as 8gb/s due to pcie and that is I believe equivalent to a PCIE 3.0 x1 connection, but don't quote me on this, I'm not quite sure

you would have to take the AKiTiO hardware and remove it from its chassis and then you could probably put it in any case you wanted if you didn't mind maybe drilling a few holes or something, OP did it to his (removing the hardware from the chassis) and he built his own case, you could do that too.

TB1 will horribly bottleneck a titan x is my guess. its 10gb/s which can only be used as 8gb/s due to pcie and that is I believe equivalent to a PCIE 3.0 x1 connection, but don't quote me on this, I'm not quite sure

Good to know. Will have to look into this. You got a good itx case in mind?

Please be aware that putting the eGPU into a ITX case will make you need a riser. Riser cables are currently argued about at techinferno to cause trouble.

Please be aware that putting the eGPU into a ITX case will make you need a riser. Riser cables are currently argued about at techinferno to cause trouble.

He won't need a riser unless he mounts the akitio hardware on the motherboard tray.  If he just drills some holes in the bottom, then providing it fits, his setup would be good to go as is.

Good to know. Will have to look into this. You got a good itx case in mind?

The Phanteks Enthoo Lux ITX looks pretty good, and has a large side panel window to show off your sexy Titan X.  Maybe stick some green or white LEDs in there and then bam that would be sexy.

He won't need a riser unless he mounts the akitio hardware on the motherboard tray.  If he just drills some holes in the bottom, then providing it fits, his setup would be good to go as is.

I got a power drill and some DIY ideas to go with. You Think the Enthoo Primo is good?

I got a power drill and some DIY ideas to go with. You Think the Enthoo Primo is good?

Thats not a mini ITX case, but go ahead

How can I connect the PSU to the Akitio Thunder2 so they boot up at the same time?

How can I connect the PSU to the Akitio Thunder2 so they boot up at the same time?

Plug both into a power strip.

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Thats not a mini ITX case, but go ahead

My bad the lux lol the primo is huge

My bad the lux lol the primo is huge

Ok that makes a lot more sense.  Have fun making it look sexy

There is an easy way:

- get a 2xMolex->6-Pin adapter

- cut of the 6-Pin adapter

- get a barrel plug (5.5 and 2.5mm) (inside 12V connection, outside is ground)

- connect the 2x12V to the barrel plug

- connect the 2,3,4xground to the barrel plug

- now you can power your AKiTiO with only one PSU!

Plug both into a power strip.

Please don't recommend using both PSUs at the same time. They provide 12v and ground each and can cause ground loops or high load on the PCB or PSUs itself and fail.

There is an easy way:

- get a 2xMolex->6-Pin adapter

- cut of the 6-Pin adapter

- get a barrel plug (5.5 and 2.5mm) (inside 12V connection, outside is ground)

- connect the 2x12V to the barrel plug

- connect the 2,3,4xground to the barrel plug

- now you can power your AKiTiO with only one PSU!

Please don't recommend using both PSUs at the same time. They provide 12v and ground each and can cause ground loops or high load on the PCB or PSUs itself and fail.

My setup refuses to work unless I use both PSUs

Did you tested a DIY barrel plug connected to the desktop PC PSU? The AKiTiO itself doesn't where the 12V is actually coming from…

Working great that way with the 220W Dell DA-2 on my system. The DA-2 is powering the AKiTiO (with a DIY barrel plug) and the GTX 970 with 2x6-Pin PCIe.

Your PSU should be able to provide enough power for the AKiTiO through one or two Molex 4-Pin plugs.

Did you tested a DIY barrel plug connected to the desktop PC PSU? The AKiTiO itself doesn't where the 12V is actually coming from…

Working great that way with the 220W Dell DA-2 on my system. The DA-2 is powering the AKiTiO (with a DIY barrel plug) and the GTX 970 with 2x6-Pin PCIe.

Your PSU should be able to provide enough power for the AKiTiO through one or two Molex 4-Pin plugs.

That must be a very iffy setup, 220W is barely enough for GTX 970 and a AKiTiO, especially considering its a Dell psu, probably not even 80+ rated

Working great for me and 10+ other people. Running my setup with a GTX 970@1480MHz rock stable.

And the PSU itself is actually rated to output 12V 18A = 216W