GTX 970 Not Impressing..

Parkergk

Hi guys, so I very recently upgraded my GTX 760 for an 970. I was expecting to really see a difference in games, but I don't really feel that I have..

I play modded Skyrim and BF4 a lot, and was already running both of them on max settings with the 760. Before, I'd see dips into the 30s and max as high as 80s, with the averages being around 40-55 in BF4, and now with the 970, I really can't tell it's any higher..

In Skyrim (maybe it's just the mod itself) but there's a few particularly resource intensive areas in the game, for a test standing in a certain spot and looking a certain direction I got 18 fps with the 760, then I swapped to the 970 and that same test only yielded 21 fps.. Again, maybe it's just the mod itself, but, I was just hoping for more..

The upgrade did at least raise my Valley score by 33%, so I know there's an improvement..

My system is in my bio but I'll post it here for ease:

- AMD Phenom II x4 960t

- EVGA GTX 970

- Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600

- ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Thanks

I believe your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi guys, so I very recently upgraded my GTX 760 for an 970. I was expecting to really see a difference in games, but I don't really feel that I have..

I play modded Skyrim and BF4 a lot, and was already running both of them on max settings with the 760. Before, I'd see dips into the 30s and max as high as 80s, with the averages being around 40-55 in BF4, and now with the 970, I really can't tell it's any higher..

In Skyrim (maybe it's just the mod itself) but there's a few particularly resource intensive areas in the game, for a test standing in a certain spot and looking a certain direction I got 18 fps with the 760, then I swapped to the 970 and that same test only yielded 21 fps.. Again, maybe it's just the mod itself, but, I was just hoping for more..

The upgrade did at least raise my Valley score by 25%, so I know there's an improvement..

- AMD Phenom II x4 960t

- EVGA GTX 970

- ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Thanks

I smell bottlenecking.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Yeah that cpu is a bottleneck

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

That is a pretty old CPU. Check your GPU and CPU usage in game. Its likely the CPU is the bottleneck

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Looks to me like a CPU bottleneck.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Darn, others beat me to it. I was checking the specs of the CPU >.<

Yeah, possible bottleneck?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

Do you have your power on high performance

May be a cpu bottleneck

Merry Christmas

Wolffangs147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

You guys think it's really that bad that it would keep me from seeing an increase from the 760?

Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU.

Step up to an i5 as a minimum.  NOT an FX.  The FX will bottleneck it too.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You guys think it's really that bad that it would keep me from seeing an increase from the 760?

Yes you are matching one of the best gpu right now with a weak and subpar cpu of course the performance increase is not noticeable because the gpu cannot give 100% since the cpu is holding it back so hard. Linus did alot of video talking about bottlenecking before like this 

If you want to know more just watch this  videos. You can fix this problem by getting a better cpu i reccomend a haswell i5 like a 4690k or 4460 if you want something cheaper but it will also mean that you have to update your motherboard since your current one only support amd cpu.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

BottleNeCkInG fOr SuRe! :/ :\ 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

The phenom is bottlenecking. 
Upgrade to an i5 at least and you will see a pretty good jump in fps.
Skyrim is dependent on single threaded performance, and your phenom is very weak in this department. Thus, you are not seeing a difference between the 760 and 970. 

Any future plans for the old 760?  :P

Haha, it's for sale right now, I've got it on eBay. Perfect working condition, zero scratches or blemishes, and it never even went over 63c in my case. EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 2GB

The phenom is bottlenecking. 

Upgrade to an i5 at least and you will see a pretty good jump in fps.

Skyrim is dependent on single threaded performance, and your phenom is very weak in this department. Thus, you are not seeing a difference between the 760 and 970. 

Well awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping for, that if it was holding it back, then when I upgrade my processor, I would see a dramatic jump in performance.

And yes I plan on getting either an i5-4670k or the 4690k, whichever one I just happen to get a deal on.

Lol thought my brother was the only person still rocking the amd phenom x4 970 BE!

There are dozens of us DOZENS!  :rolleyes:

Since a GTX 760 = GTX 670 and 670 and 680 are 5% different in performance, a GTX 690 is 10% faster than a GTX 970 so you should see a double in performance and FPS for most games. Although your CPU looks like a bottlenecked mentioned by other members.

Your temps probably never went over 63C because the GPU was probably never able to hit it's max potential.

The upgrade did at least raise my Valley score by 25%, so I know there's an improvement..

- AMD Phenom II x4 960t

- EVGA GTX 970

- ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Thanks

I had one of these boards and one day it randomly went all funky on me, couldn't run Dirt 3 at 30fps, turned out to be some form of power problem with the board got a Gigabyte UD5 and it ran the game using my HD6870 using a phenom 2 x3 at about 40-50fps only thing I changed was the faulty board. The phenom 2 is an old chip, so is the FX range, if you want balls to the wall power you're best moving to the blue team because in order to get close results you'd need to overclock several things and not many people have the patience with AMD chips.

Your temps probably never went over 63C because the GPU was probably never able to hit it's max potential.

Yea! Turn Vsync off!  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

While the bottlenecking suspicion is warranted(an AMD card and mantle would have likely helped), I think the gtx 970 is somewhat overrated when you look strictly at performance. People are so taken by its low TDP, lower price, and overclocking ability(which will always be somewhat hit or miss and often does little to improve gaming performance) that they largely overlook the fact it really doesn't offer much more performance than a gtx 780.

Nvidia itself has done a great job of selling these strong points, but at the end of the day what matters is gaming performance, and the 970 isn't all its cracked up to be. Its easily beaten by the gtx 780 ti in almost every situation in which its 3 gb of memory isn't a limiting factory, and its also beaten by the r9 290x in games in which the extra gb does matter.

If you understand that with the 970 you are basically getting a slightly improved, slightly cheaper, more power efficient gtx 780, you will be satisfied. If you are expecting a lot more than that you will be disappointed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The CPU is a gigantic bottleneck. :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Just because you have low temps doesn't mean your components aren't working, it means you have good cooling. My GPU was often hitting 100% utilization while my CPU topped out around 68%. Now that I have the GTX 970 I can see that they have swapped places, my CPU is often at 100% and my GPU is a good bit lower.

Yea! Turn Vsync off!  :ph34r:

The only game I play with Vsync is Minecraft, because I get screen tearing. However, Skyrim is actually frame capped at 60, you force the game above that and the physics and script engine falls apart..

While the bottlenecking suspicion is warranted(an AMD card and mantle would have likely helped), I think the gtx 970 is somewhat overrated when you look strictly at performance. People are so taken by its low TDP, lower price, and overclocking ability(which will always be somewhat hit or miss and often does little to improve gaming performance) that they largely overlook the fact it really doesn't offer much more performance than a gtx 780.

Nvidia itself has done a great job of selling these strong points, but at the end of the day what matters is gaming performance, and the 970 isn't all its cracked up to be. Its easily beaten by the gtx 780 ti in almost every situation in which its 3 gb of memory isn't a limiting factory, and its also beaten by the r9 290x in games in which the extra gb does matter.

If you understand that with the 970 you are basically getting a slightly improved, slightly cheaper, more power efficient gtx 780, you will be satisfied. If you are expecting a lot more than that you will be disappointed.

Not sure if you misread, but I'm coming from a GTX 760, not a 780. But, I understand what you're saying, and either way I should be seeing more performance, which now we all know is due to my CPU.

So, I'll be upgrading to an i5-4670k or i5-4690k, whichever I happen to get a deal on.  ;)

He went from a 760 to 970... Thats a massive upgrade, and with a proper overclock of 1400Mhz or more on the 970, it handily beats a 780.

The CPU is the problem.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

He went from a 760 to 970... Thats a massive upgrade, and with a proper overclock of 1400Mhz or more on the 970, it handily beats a 780.

The CPU is the problem.

Yeah exactly, the 970 actually is equal to or beats the 780 in a lot of tests, and it's $200 less. Plus the lower TDP (As he said).

Just because you have low temps doesn't mean your components aren't working, it means you have good cooling. My GPU was often hitting 100% utilization while my CPU topped out around 68%. Now that I have the GTX 970 I can see that they have swapped places, my CPU is often at 100% and my GPU is a good bit lower.

The only game I play with Vsync is Minecraft, because I get screen tearing. However, Skyrim is actually frame capped at 60, you force the game above that and the physics and script engine falls apart..

Not sure if you misread, but I'm coming from a GTX 760, not a 780. But, I understand what you're saying, and either way I should be seeing more performance, which now we all know is due to my CPU.

So, I'll be upgrading to an i5-4670k or i5-4690k, whichever I happen to get a deal on.  ;)

You know that you motherboard doesn't support those cpu right ? You need to upgrade your motherboard first since your current one only allow cpu with AMD 870 / SB850 chipset.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something.