Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Requires More Power to Drive Efficiently?

Michael McAllister

A week or two ago, I had bought Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphones to replace my 280 Pro set.  Unfortunately, I had to return them because oddly enough, I had to turn them up much higher to get the same amount of volume using my onboard audio.  This seems really weird to me considering that the impedance is lower than the older 280 Pro set.  The 280 Pro is 64 ohms while the 380 is 54 ohms.  Yes, I could have bought an amplifier, but I didn't feel like spending the money right now.  The bass seemed tighter and similarly analytical to what I was used to with the 280s.  You would think that the lower impedance would make the headphones easier to drive (Reltek ALC892).

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Its not just about impedance. Sensitivity also comes into play. You can get some decent sub $100 DAC/AMPS. The FiiO E10K is a solid choice. 

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

The thing about the E10K amplifier is that it has a very small knob, and I cannot turn my wrist very well.  The Fiio E09K amplifier that has a 6.35 mm jack has a much bigger knob that would be easier to turn, alas that amp has a 10 ohm impedance rating so I would run into an issue with dampening on lower impedence sets.

My 380 pro runs fine onboard, and i prefer it over running through a separate amp.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

think cheaper and try a Xonar external soundcard with headphone amp, i tried one few days ago and i got imprtessed about its quality. It cames with dolby theater 4 software and they have like four levels of amplification, up to 65 oms. All gold plated and its also a portable 7.1 soundcard. Unfortunately it wasnt enough for my G4Me zero headset asked for 180 oms. Now i have new rig. And that headset is badass

The thing about the E10K amplifier is that it has a very small knob, and I cannot turn my wrist very well.  The Fiio E09K amplifier that has a 6.35 mm jack has a much bigger knob that would be easier to turn, alas that amp has a 10 ohm impedance rating so I would run into an issue with dampening on lower impedence sets.

Dont have to use the volume knob, set it once then conyrol through windows. 

My 380 pro runs fine onboard, and i prefer it over running through a separate amp.

Good for you, doesnt mean it works for him.

think cheaper and try a Xonar external soundcard with headphone amp, i tried one few days ago and i got imprtessed about its quality. It cames with dolby theater 4 software and they have like four levels of amplification, up to 65 oms. All gold plated and its also a portable 7.1 soundcard. Unfortunately it wasnt enough for my G4Me zero headset asked for 180 oms. Now i have new rig. And that headset is badass

The Xonar U7 has a nice layout, but I cannot find any specs on the output impedence.

The Xonar U7 has a nice layout, but I cannot find any specs on the output impedence.

Check out the monoprice amp/dac. It has a huge knob. I usually turn it using the top of the known and moving my hand left or right and not actuality gripping the knob and turning my wrist.

Dont have to use the volume knob, set it once then conyrol through windows.

That might work.  Some people have said controlling the amp through the OS can present weird issues (I'm guessing noise).  Bullshit?

That might work. Some people have said controlling the amp through the OS can present weird issues (I'm guessing noise). Bullshit?

Its because they dont charge the flux capacitor, really it shouldnt make a difference.

Check out the monoprice amp/dac. It has a huge knob. I usually turn it using the top of the known and moving my hand left or right and not actuality gripping the knob and turning my wrist.

It says the impedence range is 16 - 600 ohms.  Not sure if that means the output impedence is 2 or anything in between...

Its because they dont charge the flux capacitor, really it shouldnt make a difference.

Damn, does the Fiio E10 do this? Pls respond I need 2 no

@MayflowerElectronics

What was your reasoning again behind not being able to implement a larger knob (http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/115673.jpg) ?

That was because the o2/odac is a lot shorter. It would touch the table and the amp wouldn't be flush on the table. And don't worry about the ouput impedance of the Monoprice one. It's should be pretty low.

yap, sorry retry with a couple from the shop. i just said, they worked well, but my photo was not idle. didnt sleep

http://i.imgur.com/fbO7Sn9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KFPrSam.jpg

remember im talking about a cheap solution for great drives

Those specs are not what they were talking about and I'm sorry but the Xonar U7 is a terrible product. 

A week or two ago, I had bought Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphones to replace my 280 Pro set.  Unfortunately, I had to return them because oddly enough, I had to turn them up much higher to get the same amount of volume using my onboard audio.  This seems really weird to me considering that the impedance is lower than the older 280 Pro set.  The 280 Pro is 64 ohms while the 380 is 54 ohms.  Yes, I could have bought an amplifier, but I didn't feel like spending the money right now.  The bass seemed tighter and similarly analytical to what I was used to with the 280s.  You would think that the lower impedance would make the headphones easier to drive (Reltek ALC892).

That's exceptionally weird. 

HD280 specs: 64 ohms, 102 dB

HD380 specs: 54 ohms, 110 dB

Rule of thumb (or stereotype), anything with efficiency of over 100dB should be laughably easy to drive. Add to the fact that all the numbers of HD380 indicates that it's more efficient than the 280, provided they don't lie about the numbers. 

I can only think of 2 possibilities:

- Defective product

- Exceptionally high output impedance from the onboard jack

Have you tried plugging the 380 to other devices, like phones, DAPs, etc? 

A Syba DAC could also be an alternative

41MDxx0CisL._SX300_.jpg

Doesn't matter how big the volume knob is, but if it's facing up, you can easily turn it around with 1 finger (no need to turn with your wrist)

That was because the o2/odac is a lot shorter. It would touch the table and the amp wouldn't be flush on the table. And don't worry about the ouput impedance of the Monoprice one. It's should be pretty low.

Couldn't the O2/ODAC's housing be made taller to accomodate it (like the E10K vs. the E09K)?

Is the Fiio E09K the same specs as the Monoprice?  The Fiio is available through Prime.  :)

Couldn't the O2/ODAC's housing be made taller to accomodate it (like the E10K vs. the E09K)?

Is the Fiio E09K the same specs as the Monoprice?  The Fiio is available through Prime.  :)

No. They wouldn't be able to source only one of the special housing. And even if they could, it would be ridiculously expensive. Keep in mind that this is machined metal that is done in factories. 

And no. The Monoprice is miles better than the E09k. The E09k is only an amp. 

That's exceptionally weird. 

HD280 specs: 64 ohms, 102 dB

HD380 specs: 54 ohms, 110 dB

Rule of thumb (or stereotype), anything with efficiency of over 100dB should be laughably easy to drive. Add to the fact that all the numbers of HD380 indicates that it's more efficient than the 280, provided they don't lie about the numbers. 

I can only think of 2 possibilities:

- Defective product

- Exceptionally high output impedance from the onboard jack

Have you tried plugging the 380 to other devices, like phones, DAPs, etc? 

A Syba DAC could also be an alternative

41MDxx0CisL._SX300_.jpg

Doesn't matter how big the volume knob is, but if it's facing up, you can easily turn it around with 1 finger (no need to turn with your wrist)

Don't have a cell phone and thanks for the suggestion.  :)