Open mic headphones with Modmic (Sennheiser 558)

Harctor

I wan't to purchase Sennheiser HD 558's, which are open headphones. I want to attach a Modmic to them however. I don't think I've ever used open headphones in my life, I wouldn't have a clue as I've always bought cheap headsets which are most likely open. I'm wondering if other people speaking will be picked up by the Modmic if it's at a suitable noise level. Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G4ME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418994432&sr=8-4&keywords=363d&pebp=1418994454371

This is probably a simpler option for you. The mic on sennheiser's headsets are of top notch. I personally have no heard of other headsets with better microphones. But it does pick up a lot of background noise, depending on what you use to chat with people good software can be adjusted for thresholds you can set before the microphone will actually transmit sound.

This is a review for the 363d which to my knowledge are almost the exact same headset, with the difference being the 363d has an in line sound card with dolby 7.1 emulation. (sounds like poo for 90% of things)

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G4ME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418994432&sr=8-4&keywords=363d&pebp=1418994454371

This is probably a simpler option for you. The mic on sennheiser's headsets are of top notch. I personally have no heard of other headsets with better microphones. But it does pick up a lot of background noise, depending on what you use to chat with people good software can be adjusted for thresholds you can set before the microphone will actually transmit sound.

Thanks, good review, I will probably buy these if they are still in stock when I can afford them. Not like I can go wrong with Sennheiser anyway. I've never used amazon in my life, never knew it was so cheap.

Looking for more suggestions

Thanks, good review, I will probably buy these if they are still in stock when I can afford them. Not like I can go wrong with Sennheiser anyway. I've never used amazon in my life, never knew it was so cheap.

Looking for more suggestions

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418995600&sr=8-1&keywords=558&pebp=1418995601998

Even if you don't get that and you are looking for the 558's they are cheap on amazon as well. I suggest getting sennheisers from here because of how cheap they sell them. Amazon is a wonderful place to shop and you should always check amazon and newegg before getting and kind of tech, even if you want to shop at like best buy still they price match.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418995600&sr=8-1&keywords=558&pebp=1418995601998

Even if you don't get that and you are looking for the 558's they are cheap on amazon as well. I suggest getting sennheisers from here because of how cheap they sell them. Amazon is a wonderful place to shop and you should always check amazon and newegg before getting and kind of tech, even if you want to shop at like best buy still they price match.

Heh, I live in Australia so shipping has always been a huge factor for me, hopefully this FREE SHIPPING is free, regardless, it's still cheaper than retailers here.

Thanks mate, you've been very helpful. Here i was going to buy from retailers for 2/3 more the price. I should be able to make a good decision now, based off how cheap they are on amazon. 

I wan't to purchase Sennheiser HD 558's, which are open headphones. I want to attach a Modmic to them however. I don't think I've ever used open headphones in my life, I wouldn't have a clue as I've always bought cheap headsets which are most likely open. I'm wondering if other people speaking will be picked up by the Modmic if it's at a suitable noise level. Any ideas?

The ModMic is a directional microphone so it only picks up sound coming from where its pointed (ie. your mouth).Even though sound leaks from open headphones, it isn't nearly as loud as you might think. You will be perfectly fine with a 558+ModMic setup as it works perfectly fine for me and many others on this forum. 

I would assume the modmic will be just fine if you choose to go down that route since a lot of people use them and don't really complain.

But, if you're still interested in a gaming headset for convenience, I would recommend the Sennheiser G4ME ONE (a guy above me posted an amazon link), or the Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1. Linus did a review of the AG1 (the closed back counterpart) and the mic on it was sublime. Without a doubt the best mic I've heard on a gaming headset. Although, it does come at ~$100 more than the Sennheisers, which you might be more better off with a headphone/desk mic combo at almost a $300 price point.

I'm going to be grabbing a pair of G4ME ONES for Christmas most likely. I plan on doing some gameplay recording on YouTube to utilize my new build for the heck of it, and I'd like to have a mic that's at least presentable to people. The two mics I brought up are really the only ones out there that are acceptable for YouTube on gaming headsets in my opinion.

^Linus's review of the Audio-Techicas.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Mmmm tough choice... Those audio technicas are really nice but a bit pricey

So it's either between the G4ME ONES or HD 558's + modmic. I do want better sound quality which i would assume the 558's to have, but the g4me ones are more expensive so they might be better. The Modmic is probably a better mic than on the headset though. Argh. I really like both.

Any advice? How do both headphones and both mics compare? I am expecting that the g4me ones are better simply due to the higher price.. but it is a gaming headset

Even though I have neither of them, I would expect the sound quality of the 558 to be better because it is a listening headset and not labeled as gaming although the G4me might have more bass. As for the mic, I might say the same because dedicated mics tend be better and especially one like the mod mic. I would suggest you to go on Youtube and look up mic tests for both of them and decide which one you think sounds better. Also look for reviews for both of them as for sound quality.

558+Mod Mic would be cheaper though if you are worried about the price at all.