GTX 780Ti or GTX 970

SodaYoda

Sup guys, i am not an expert on GPUs so i need some advice. I'm getting a new GPU for my PC and i cant decide between the gtx 780ti or the gtx 970.

My build at the moment is:

Intel CORE i7 4970K @4.4ghz

8Gbs Corsair Vengeance RAM

Coolermaster V650 PSU

Samsung Evo840 SSD

etc.

Btw the GTX 780ti is only $60 more than the GTX 970 so I just want to know which one performs better.

Some advice would be greatly appreiciated :P

Depends on the card, but the 980 is usually better.

You mean 970 I'm assuming (:

They trade blows in different games, but in general the 970 is the better card. 

Sup guys, i am not an expert on GPUs so i need some advice. I'm getting a new GPU for my PC and i cant decide between the gtx 780ti or the gtx 970.

My build at the moment is:

Intel CORE i7 4970K @4.4ghz

8Gbs Corsair Vengeance RAM

Coolermaster V650 PSU

Samsung Evo840 SSD

etc.

Btw the GTX 780ti is only $60 more than the GTX 970 so I just want to know which one performs better.

Some advice would be greatly appreiciated :P

the 780ti is better because its more torwards the performance of the 980 but the 970 will run cooler and use less power and the 780 is more torwards the 970

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The 780ti beats the 970 in a few small areas like memory bus, but the 970 is the better choice out of the 2

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

I'd go with the 970 because of the newer technologies, less power consumption and heat output

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

You mean 970 I'm assuming (:

They trade blows in different games, but in general the 970 is the better card. 

Well I read that wrong.  The 780 ti is better in the pure power sense.  It will beat the 970 in almost every game.

Well I read that wrong.  The 780 ti is better in the pure power sense.  It will beat the 970 in almost every game.

Yep, the 970 has more VRAM, higher clock speeds, and less power consumption. But the 780ti beats it is most tests. But I'd still go for the 970 for the price and preformance

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

The 780ti beats the 970 in a few small areas like memory bus, but the 970 is the better choice out of the 2

what are the main reason for the gtx 970 to be better?

the 780ti is better than it in nearly all games and other stuff

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'm saying over all, with everything considered. Power consumption, price, memory, clock speed, cores. Everything

Depends on the card, but the 980 is usually better.

It's either an Asus DC2 OC GTX 780ti(3GB) or the Asus Strix DC2 OC GTX 970 (4GB)

They both run pretty much on par with each other. So I suggest the 970 simply because it's newer and has 1 extra gig of vram. As it's newer you'll likely get access to Nvidia's new tech earlier. For example DSR came first to 980/970. Later then it came to older cards. (I think?)

the 970 is suppose to be weaker than the 780 ti and prolly will be in heavy GPGPU tasks but in gaming the 970 is either on par with it in most titles or beating/losing to it in others. i'd get the 970, the drivers for maxwell must be phenomenal or something

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

Unless you can get a 780ti for less than a GTX 970, the extra power draw and heat output generally isn't worth it. Besides, the 970 will have plenty of more driver updates to come out while 780ti won't last as long.

Unless you can get a 780ti for less than a GTX 970, the extra power draw and heat output generally isn't worth it. Besides, the 970 will have plenty of more driver updates to come out while 780ti won't last as long.

Cool, thanks. Gtx 970 it is!!