Headphones and Comfort

rdeng2614

Today I bought home a pair of DT 990's and I don't even know how, same thing happened with the HyperX Cloud. The headband can't really fit my head. I stretched the headband to the max and the earcups are not quite there yet (A little more and they would have been perfect) , making the headphones quite uncomfortable.

Any kind of headphones that accommodate HUGE heads like mine (Honestly any headphones under 300$, used or not, are fine, even if they have bad audio quality, my first priority is to get it to fit) ? I honestly never knew it was this big until now lol.

Thanks

Have you worn it in? Headphones sometimes need some time to fit right on your head.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

if your head is rather large you want head phones with a self adjusting style headband like this.  well for my large head its the best

817CXFrQmRL._SL1500_.jpg

Have you worn it in? Headphones sometimes need some time to fit right on your head.

I don't know what you mean by wearing it in, I have worn them for about a week. My problem is not that there is too much clamping force, it is the fact that the earcups do not fully encompass my ear because my head is too big.

if your head is rather large you want head phones with a self adjusting style headband like this.  well for my large head its the best

817CXFrQmRL._SL1500_.jpg

What kind of these self-adjusting headbands do you recommend?

I want them to have very good comfort.

Thanks

I don't know what you mean by wearing it in, I have worn them for about a week. My problem is not that there is too much clamping force, it is the fact that the earcups do not fully encompass my ear because my head is too big.

Some headphones loosen up with some time - more than a week. If you can't bother wear the DT 990's, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, they fit fine on @Slick so you shouldn't have any troubles.

Thanks

Don't know the price but the AKG K701's are good.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Thanks

anything similar to the one pictured. 

samson sasr850c is pretty good if your on a budget.

akg k240 MKII if your have a bit mroe to spend

and akg K702 ( has the flat bad and not the bumpy one) if you want to go even higher up the headphone ladder

Some headphones loosen up with some time - more than a week. If you can't bother wear the DT 990's, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, they fit fine on @Slick so you shouldn't have any troubles.

Don't know the price but the AKG K701's are good.

OH NO NO NO NO don't recommend AKG to people with big head

My Q701 barely fits on my head (i use HD558 on maximum length headband to get a snug fit) 

I would recommend AD-900X, headphones that uses wing mechanism, if it still doesn't fit, time to get CIEM :D

The AKG suspension isn't great with big heads. The Beyerdynamics are actually very comfortable once you stretch the band out. You can leave it around your case or some kind of box stretched for a few days and also bend the headband backwards. Don't worry about breaking it. I've tried pretty much every brand of headphone and the ones that are the most comfortable right out of the box were the modded Fostex headphones. Look into those. I highly recommend any of the Mayflower versions. I had the V3 and they were fantastic. 

@h264, is the M50 headband larger than the DT series? I don't know how having a head this big is possible, but whatever.

@h264, is the M50 headband larger than the DT series? I don't know how having a head this big is possible, but whatever.

The m50 band is bigger and it's more comfortable out of the box but the Beyerdynamics are better after they're broken in. Also then premium versions are a bit better for big heads than the pro.

HD600 band is pretty huge i think. I only used it midway before it fits, and they are super comfortable. My suggestion would be second hand HD600 and since you had Q701 my wild guess is you own an amp too

I just envisioned you being a conehead...

Cqs1309413313q.jpg

Anyway, some heaphones I've tried that have very large headbands include the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, but their pads are so bad that I can't stand them, and the pads are basically on-ear for me. the other is the Pioneer SE-A1000, the pads on these are better, but sorta weird. Also check out the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 / 500 / 900 and A700 / 500 / 900, they may fit you.

It's not the clamp force, it's the actual size of the headband. OP said so himself, please read the posts properly. that includes you too, NannerBeans.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

It's not the clamp force, it's the actual size of the headband. OP said so himself, please read the posts properly. that includes you too, NannerBeans.

My recommendation still stands either way. Modded Fostex fit the biggest heads. 

It's a bit bigger.  I don't even have to extend the M50 headband at all.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."