OK my new pc pisses me off and now need another need help

Jesse221

so for those who saw my earlier posts I have been having hell with my amd setup.  so started life with amd 8120 and asrock extreme 3.  liked it for a while but never "smooth".  then tried stupid auto oc utility to try and make "smooth". somehow fucked cpu.  then bought amd 8350 same socket more power and no need to clean install figure wth right?  installed instangly gw2 way better in high cpu load like wvw sadly bf4 still kinda lack luster.  got heavily into gw2 and stoped playing bf4 so didn't care right?  well friends start doing more bf4 so I go back no frustrated again.  find my board no longer officially supports 8350.  great find out about vrm issues with extreme3.. so fine I already got the cpu lets take it to its potential right?  since im being detunes by the mobo vrms.  so get asrock 990fx fatal1ty killer.  set it up clean install with ssd. thinking finaly right?  no same shit hurky jerky jumpy crap play.  add another 270x same shit even in low.  find my mobo setting my ram to 1333.  manually set it to 1600.  better but still terrible.  find all this stuff about parked cores power savers etc etc etc.  run prime 95 and find my cpu dipping to 3.2ghs before even hitting 55c socket temp wtf?  go in and manually set everything and disable turbocore.  night and day diff finally on the right track.  game play still not perfect.  try to oc through bios fsb but cant seem to get it right crashed multiple times, got close to 70c socket at 4.6ghz with only 1.375v.  then tried 4.5 with 17 something mhx ram and it crashed (no boot).  lowered to like 1500 something MHz ram.  Question here whats more important cpu speed with slower ram or faster ram and slower cpu cause I cant hit perfect 1600mhz ram?

so anyway after all my testing I am now 110% sure it is and always has been cpu bottleneck.  I am currently at 4.4ghz with just multiplier (22) and a set 1.365 volts.  and tested prime 95 never went over 64c socket.  tried bf4 and FINALLY!!! a stable play at high settings.  but really needing to oc and xfire just to run in high?  gimme a break others are running ultra with single card. 

so convinced myself Im done with amd cpu, shouldn't be rocket science to get a upper line cpu to run games even in low. wtf?  why is auto so stupid it declocks me to 3.2ghz in the middle of game wtf??

not sure who t blame for that one asrock setting or amd?

so I think ill hold the gfx card for 30 days then return for credit and by cpu (roughly 180 credit so there is a 1/3 the cpu).  thinking i7 4790?  so as for mobo was thinking the asrock z97x fatal1ty killer as it is clone of my own and reports say it is good and have enjoyed asrock in the past (good boards that don't break the bank) but if it is asrock default setting fucking me over now with current build then screw that. I don't want to run into another headache.

basically I am armature and just want good reliable stock settings to work.  I don't want auto to be some stupid green tech for a "gaming" mobo.  its been fun amd I learned a lot about clock multipliers and voltage etc out of necessity just to get your 360.00 setup to run maybe = to intel i3 but really amd fan died today.

I fully learned the benefit/potential of ocing today but I just don't know what I am doing and this cpu is beyond me to make work.  I can "live" with it at 4.4 stable but since I can return one card for nearly a 1/3 a new i7 then why not since that will for sure run everything.

so good z97 i7 cpu?

good z97 mobo?

ill just swap my ddr3 1600 ram (16gb)

my friend just got evga mbo at like 319 and thing is crazy but im thinking do I really need 8+ sata ports?  I know everyone here will say asus and my gfx are asus and I do like asus but spec vs spec asrock always came out good for mobo but as I said if it is asock requiring me to do research like im preparing for the bar exam just to make my system run then im not that loyal.  had MSI in the past and was not impressed (bios features sucked). gigabyte heard mixed.

anyway Im open to suggestion I need a new system and saving 50 on a mobo now to spend another 300 later (then boat im in now) is not worth it,  so systems "guaranteed" to run bf4 smooth what im I looking at?

spry for wall of text just trying to make clear where ive been, where I am coming from and where I want to be.

You're issues can be solved, you just need to put more work into it. Please link me your previous help thread.

AMD has it's problems, and they all seem to appear in BF4. I myself have experienced this. 

Don't buy a new system yet, there is no need to waste your money.

If you're going to get a new PC, getting a 4790 with a z97 is dumb, because you can't overclock unless it's a "K processor"

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

This really depends on how much money you want to spend if you dont want to spend a whole lot you can just get like an i5 4690k and a new motherboard and your good, i have an msi gaming 3 and its decent i dont mess with anything. It inst necessary to have 8 sata ports unless you have a full tower and if your going to have a lot of hard drives.

So let's clear up your wall of text: More dot points please

Your rig's specs

What you've done/changed

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Spec to spec asrock may compare to asus, but component quality is a different story. Yet then again, i will say this, and someone will say I am completely wrong.

If you want reliability, gigabyte is the best way to go, and seeing as the ud5h can easily do wonders in overclocking. 

Cpu for gaming, i5 4690k

You should be following your own thread! Click follow, top right.

so good z97 i7 cpu?

good z97 mobo?

I'd go with an i5 4690k. Games will not benefit from the i7 much, so you can save some money there. The k-version will allow for some overclocking in the future, so be sure to get that if you wish to overclock. 

No need for super spendy boards. I like the Gigabyte Gaming series. I have the Gaming-GT, but the Gaming 5 is also rated well. As is the Asus Z97-A or AF board. No need for more than a $200 board. Asrock is "fine", but the construction is sometimes not the best (I'm speaking from experience). 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

So since you're using the Asrock fatality, mobo VRM overheating is not the problem

Higher CPU clock speed > Higher Ram speed by far. Increased ram speed barely increases your fps (maybe 1 fps). 

The 4790(k) is pretty overkill for gaming. If you want a gaming CPU from Intel, get a 4690k.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I'd go with an i5 4690k. Games will not benefit from the i7 much. The k-version will allow for some overclocking in teh future.

I like the Gigabyte Gaming series. I have the Gaming-GT, but the Gaming 5 is rated well. As is the Asus Z97-A or AF board. No need for more than a $200 board. 

Spec to spec asrock may compare to asus, but component quality is a different story. Yet then again, i will say this, and someone will say I am completely wrong.

If you want reliability, gigabyte is the best way to go, and seeing as the ud5h can easily do wonders in overclocking. 

Cpu for gaming, i5 4690k

This really depends on how much money you want to spend if you dont want to spend a whole lot you can just get like an i5 4690k and a new motherboard and your good, i have an msi gaming 3 and its decent i dont mess with anything. It inst necessary to have 8 sata ports unless you have a full tower and if your going to have a lot of hard drives.

OP is clearly pissed off with the problem that his PC has. I know his feeling, a similar problem happened to me, with my AMD PC. However. I stuck it out, and fixed it, and it works well.

There's no need to make him spend a load of money all over again.

* Have you reinstalled Windows yet?

* Have you reset overclocks back to stock

thanks guys sorry steped away to eat some food.

yes I set manual to stock clocks and stock voltage (some confusion here) my mobo has stock as 1.3 others are all 1.375 yet at 1,375 mine hits temps guick and at (I think) I am at 1.35? and able to run 4.4 (could possibly go lower but got tired of crashing for one night)

so my full specs since I cant find other post.

as of current today specs

asrock 990fx fatal1ty killer

amd 8350 vishera

16 gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

250gb ocz arc 100

1tb wd black

2tb wd green (back up drive)

win 8.1 fully updated clean install

asus r9 270x rgb oc top edition x 2 crossfire

antec 1250 h20 cooler

antec eleven hundred v.2 with all fans installed (even behind mobo socket yet still hit temps quick)

antec 750m gamer high current

as you can see I didn't go full cheap and didn't go super duper crazy either but I would really expect it to run like freaking glass with low settings and auto in bios but nope 14fps fn amazing right?

so bios settings as of now after playing with fsb and couldn't quiet figure it out so just used multiplier even though they all say fsb gives better single thread which seems to be where I am really lacking.

so clock is stock 200 and 100.  multiplier is 22.  voltage 1.35? (forget last digit), APM disabled (this seems to help a lot) speed spectrum disabled, turbo core disabled, cool n quiet I left on, ram at stock 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 tried it at 17?? when fsb oc and it fail so cant go over the mhz there and not buying new ram for this already fail project (spending another 100+ will just go to cpu/mobo).  at these specs I can now finally play bf in high only with low aa and occlusions set to ssao and it will run smooth and not freeze/dip stutter when something explodes in front of me or I leave a tunnel and go into open area.  so it really seems system keeps powering down in auto.  however even in manual and at 4.4ghz it is just acceptable.

VRMS are just luke warm to touch so no issue there cpu socket creeps up pretty quick so that sucks, north bridge (I think its NB, the one right above 1st gfx card) gets way hot to the touch but its at stock so hopefully ok.

I don't know where to go from here.

I know I7 is overkill but I "thought" 8350 would suffice and here I am 2 cpu and two mobo later kicking myself in the ass.  saving 50.00 today to spend 200 tomorrow is not a savings.  ps I use this pc for autocad as well so multithread may apply there as I know my amd runs solidworks no issues at all.

so the vote seems to always be asrock "build quality" isn't the best yet actual functional reviews say they come out good so that's not too bad (I don't care if their solder joints are sharp I am only installing the thing once).  But I am not locked into it.  How are evga boards for intel?  if I cant get this thing to shine bright.

thanks guys really appreciate the help.

There is no need to upgrade just yet, ok. This is a problem with BF4, and just bf4, correct?

So you've done a clean reinstall of windows, and you've reset overclocks?

* Go into the BIOS, and load optimised defaults

* Have you tried mantle

* is bf4 running 64bit?

win is a fresh install with new ssd and new mobo (990 fx killer from 990fx extreme 3 with crap vrm).

using mantle

not sure how to tell what it runs in I am om 64 bit os so I would imagine it is in 64 bit.

no I didn't not reload the default uefi bios as those would be putting me back to auto which makes the system run like a 1998 Pentium 200mmx.  the stock bios setting are pure crap clock freq jumping all over the place 3ghz - 4.2 ghz and back and forth and just junk.

win is a fresh install with new ssd and new mobo (990 fx killer from 990fx extreme 3 with crap vrm).

using mantle

not sure how to tell what it runs in I am om 64 bit os so I would imagine it is in 64 bit.

no I didn't not reload the default uefi bios as those would be putting me back to auto which makes the system run like a 1998 Pentium 200mmx.  the stock bios setting are pure crap clock freq jumping all over the place 3ghz - 4.2 ghz and back and forth and just junk.

The fatality has a great vrm design. So VRM overheating shouldnt be the problem anymore

*stop using mantle, that could be the problem!

* to find out if your running 64bit BF4, right click on the game in origin, go game details -> game properties choose 64bit

* Go into the bios, and choose load optimised defaults, things can't get worse right.

* don't overclock, leave it, for now.

ok chose 64 bit.  will see if my bios has "optimize" I did not see that option in this bios but have in the past.  ill look some more.  ill switch to dx11. I will test tomorrow and let you know.  tonight it too late.  now following my post so I will know.

thanks again

I would like to have hope but fearfull of what I find tomorrow.

ok chose 64 bit.  will see if my bios has "optimize" I did not see that option in this bios but have in the past.  ill look some more.  ill switch to dx11. I will test tomorrow and let you know.  tonight it too late.  now following my post so I will know.

thanks again

I would like to have hope but fearfull of what I find tomorrow.

Thats great,

thanks for letting me know that you're finished for today, saves me from waiting for hours, expecting a reply :)

have hope!

ok well checked bios.  no such optimized defaults just basic defaults and can tell you right now that is a waste of a road to go down.  turns mem to 1333 sets voltage too low auto clock goes freaking crazy in apps and games it is junk.  so there goes that one.  I know I have seen "optimized" defaults in other stuff before but mine doesn't have.

ill try game in dx11 tomorrow.  thanks again.

ok well checked bios.  no such optimized defaults just basic defaults and can tell you right now that is a waste of a road to go down.  turns mem to 1333 sets voltage too low auto clock goes freaking crazy in apps and games it is junk.  so there goes that one.  I know I have seen "optimized" defaults in other stuff before but mine doesn't have.

ill try game in dx11 tomorrow.  thanks again.

OK, In future, please reply to my dot points with dot points in turn, it'll make things a lot easier for me :)

* have you had to update the BIOS?

* Which of these is your CPU (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/index.asp?cat=CPU)

I don't know too much about the Asrock BIOS. I would suggest you start another thread under troubleshooting.

Tell them your spec, that there's a problem with your PC that is being handled here (link the thread), and that you need some help with setting the right BIOS settings.

Post pictures of each page of your BIOS, and get them to help you setting it right.

thanks all for trying problem solved.  it was cpu.  got it up to 4.7ghz which let me run in high smoothly with x fire and if cpu intensive feature disabled it smoothed out so figured I was on right track.

as of today im on i7 4790k and asus mobo with all settings in auto except mem set to 1600 and OMG night and day.  everything from hard drive action to gaming is soo much better.  returned one gfx card so got roughly 200 back from that and bought 17 and mobo and can now run ultra single gfx card without a glitch at all.

thanks for trying guys but yea amd cpu is garbage.  good for scII and that is about it (not 4v4 either just 1v1 2v2 tops).  loved amd for the last 4 years but sadly they spread too thin and now don't have a market they are good in.  next gpu NVidia 970 as that is another ass kicker and less heat.

AMD take note If its truly just a setting thing then DO NOT ship you 990fx chipset as a default to save $1 a year wtf this is a gaming chipset make it game.  But I had all power savings off and oced and could only finally play in high that is not good and would really have me second guessing ever going back after so many trusted years.  not sure how you falsified your banches but there os no way that cpu run bf4 and for that matter GW2 I got 2x my old fps.

Not expacting the fx8350 to compete vs the i7 4790k as price is a lot different but from all ive gathered the i5 would still kill it and paying 199.99 for the 8350 when my 8120 crapped out I shoulda just went intel right then and saved myself this misery road.

thanks all for trying problem solved.  it was cpu.  got it up to 4.7ghz which let me run in high smoothly with x fire and if cpu intensive feature disabled it smoothed out so figured I was on right track.

as of today im on i7 4790k and asus mobo with all settings in auto except mem set to 1600 and OMG night and day.  everything from hard drive action to gaming is soo much better.  returned one gfx card so got roughly 200 back from that and bought 17 and mobo and can now run ultra single gfx card without a glitch at all.

thanks for trying guys but yea amd cpu is garbage.  good for scII and that is about it (not 4v4 either just 1v1 2v2 tops).  loved amd for the last 4 years but sadly they spread too thin and now don't have a market they are good in.  next gpu NVidia 970 as that is another ass kicker and less heat.

AMD take note If its truly just a setting thing then DO NOT ship you 990fx chipset as a default to save $1 a year wtf this is a gaming chipset make it game.  But I had all power savings off and oced and could only finally play in high that is not good and would really have me second guessing ever going back after so many trusted years.  not sure how you falsified your banches but there os no way that cpu run bf4 and for that matter GW2 I got 2x my old fps.

Not expacting the fx8350 to compete vs the i7 4790k as price is a lot different but from all ive gathered the i5 would still kill it and paying 199.99 for the 8350 when my 8120 crapped out I shoulda just went intel right then and saved myself this misery road.

So you ignored everything i told you and went and bought new hardware.

Of course an i7 is going to outperform an 8350, they are in different leagues.

glad your happy though

I didn't ignore what you said I had already set bios as optimal as possibly for a basic setting.. it is more like you ignored what I said.  I had it running at a constant 4.7 ghz in prime 95 no dips nothing so how could one ask for more then that.   aslo like I said the whole project was a nightmare. can you answer me why a gaming mobo and gaming chipset default to having an over aggressive clock cycle scheme to constantly de clock the cpu to save power to the point that it cant pklay? It is very common knowledge that as cool as turbo core sounds it actually hurts performance? (google it and youll see everyone gets smoother play with it off).  and now my new mobo with z97 has profiles to pick and guess what in power save it declock and in performance it stays high and default is performance like one would expect a gaming system to be (maybe that is asrock to blame I don't know) but still with all power save a constant 4.7ghs and 2 gfx cars cant run smooth yet here is ez pz set forget one gfx card and bam done.  works perfect.

so yes a better profile for what the system will be used for.  an extremely faster sata card (this ssd freaking screams now).  and just no headache.  I am sure even the i5 would go just as smooth and is simple set and forget no pulling your hair out trying to make something that really shouldn't work actually work by ocing and disabling every power feature etc.

so in short in stock form amd unplayable in low.  custom setup and oc to 4.7 all cores and stable and can play smooth ish in high with two cards.  go intel with one card (returned other so there is 2/3 the price the cpu right there) and now run ultra with no issues.  so why do amd boards even allow xfire or sli?  there is no use it cant feed the cards.  ask anyone bf4 why it doesn't run smooth and they ask what cpu you say amd they say that's your problem and sadly they are right.  Was an AMD fan but turned to team blue today and glad I did. hell even GW2 you know the game with AMD on the box supposed to be developed with amd well GW with 830 and 2 270x avg 29-31 fpd new setup constant 56fp with one card.  sorry but facts are facts.  I see a 970 in my future now too.

and yes the i7 and 8350 are absolutely in diff leagues but the i5 is probably just as good as i7 in most conditions (I would say for sure but haven't used but plenty of reviews and bf4 people to confirm).  I went i7 cause your starting to see more game allow multithread which is actually good for amd (crisis 3 is supposed to run well with amd) but the thing is everything will run well with intel but with amd if its a game you wanna play and your friends play it too well you may be SOL. and that sucks.

so thanks all but after boosting cpu clocks a step at a time and seing an improvement with every step. it essentialy confirmed im not gpu lagging im cpu lagging so tried this and finally can run this happily and boosted my whole system at same time. how could I ask for more? 

@Jesse221 I know how painful it is to have issues like that - I had similar troubles with my i5-4670k on z87. However my i7-4790k overclocks to 4.8Ghz like a charm and stays at 35 degrees idle, 60 degrees under load and my GTX980 follow just a few degrees higher. Sometimes you win the silicon lottery, sometimes you lose - painfully.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

interesting well your the first I heard had an issue with the i5.  but I didn't have any issues getting my 8350 to oc it just didn't prove to be worth it.  sure I made it go from able to play on low to able to play on high but for the cost at 40.00 more and people able to reliably all play that just seems a better deal to me.  I had two amd cpu very similar to each other 8120 and 8350 and yes the 8350 was better but by no mean worth the price just my opinion.

anyhow glad to be on team blue and finally glad something is working right for once.  maybe when amd released next gen architecture in 2016 or whenever ill be curious but definitely not going back until enough people trust them (phenom was awesome) but benches show the 8350 do one thing but in game its a totally different story.

Does your gaming 3 have audio distortion issues because of the killer Nic?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!