Case fan swap - SLI Cooling

Go to solution Solved by Mick Naughty,

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/238032-blower-vs-open-air-gpu-coolers-my-experience/#entry3264677

Blower is always better in sli.

Im sure you can get 540 for cheap, well worth a shot.

I forgot that you were hitting 95, It should help quite a bit then.

Specs:
CPU: 4770K @ 4.2
Case: Lian Li PC-B12SB (2x Front 140mm, 1 rear 120mm)
Mobo: Maximus Hero VI
PSU: Corsair AX1200I
GPUS: 2x Gigabyte GTX 780 ti Ghz Edition SLI

WP_20141105_013.jpg

Hi,

I aim to reduce the temperature of the top card in my SLI configuration for, as you can imagine, it can get extremely hot when under load; with an aggressive overclock it can easily hit its 95oC max recommended temp.

I am looking for some opinions as to whether or not replacing the front case fans with Noctua or some other high performance fans would make such a difference to render it worthwhile and, if so, which fans would be best suited for this task.

Thanks in advance.

Best thing to do is get a more airflow optimized case(maybe the air 540?).

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Strapping a nice fan on the side of the cards for exhaust and the front of the cards to shove air between them could be quiet beneficial. Zipties and custom brackets can do wonders.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Strapping a nice fan on the side of the cards for exhaust and the front of the cards to shove air between them could be quiet beneficial. Zipties and custom brackets can do wonders.

thats real ghetto style,  I like it hahahahaha

thats real ghetto style,  I like it hahahahaha

The 'right/non-ghetto way to do things' isn't always the most effective. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 'right/non-ghetto way to do things' isn't always the most effective. 

+1

50659fb1f8.jpg

Zipties included.

Put blower style coolers on them.

Air 540 wont help, been dealing with that for months.

Do the cards run better using the other sli fingers?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I like your creativity but my DIY skills are terrible at best. Haha.

I personally would recommend you to sell this case and get a case with more airflow

Best thing to do is get a more airflow optimized case(maybe the air 540?).

It would seem that a new case is in order. The air 540 seems to have good reviews (Linus was positive in his unboxing and AnandTech has an extensive review).

What other cases would be in the same category as the air 540?

Put blower style coolers on them.

Air 540 wont help, been dealing with that for months.

Do the cards run better using the other sli fingers?

I have switched the SLI fingers but it didn't seem to have any noticeable difference.

Could you please elaborate on any issue(s) with the air 450 and the reasons why it wouldn't 'help'?

Cheers guys.

Any case with a fan in the sidepanel facing the graphicscards will be good (if you get one, install it blowing the heat out of the case)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/238032-blower-vs-open-air-gpu-coolers-my-experience/#entry3264677

Blower is always better in sli.

Im sure you can get 540 for cheap, well worth a shot.

I forgot that you were hitting 95, It should help quite a bit then.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If I were you, I'd mod a fan on the side of your case at the height of the gpu's to exhaust all that hot air out of there. Your case is simply choked on air, doubt changing the fans will help out a lot.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

I am going to get the air 540. I'm half interested in going for a custom water cooling loop, although I have no experience in that area.

FYI: I'm choosing Mick, for he substantiated his answer with real world results.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

I am going to get the air 540. I'm half interested in going for a custom water cooling loop, although I have no experience in that area.

FYI: I'm choosing Mick, for he substantiated his answer with real world results.

I try to spread the word as much as I can. People always assume more then experiencing it for themselves.