What's our motivation?

marc23

Ever wonder why PC builders build PC’s? What is their motivation to build? What sparked that interest both individually and as a community?

I may have the answer to some of those questions. I recently wrote a research paper for my writing class. My research question asked how the PC building ecosystem grew and continues to grow and what fuels this expansion into the unknown. The question was a good starting point to gather my ideas and research more about this silent community. Nevertheless, throughout my research, I came across a lot of interesting information that I would like to share.

There was some secondary research conducted using the internet and my school's library. But more importantly, administering the survey I made yielded the more critical information; primary research is what I needed to get done. The survey was posted both here (linustechtips) and /r/buildapc on Reddit. I used Google Forums to create the survey. 120 responses were received from both communities.

From what I gathered and analyzed, I believe that PC builders dedicate their time to building computers because it provides an enjoyable pastime to a final product that, in today’s world, is invaluable and can not only teach us things, but allow us to share our knowledge with others. For instance, connecting to the internet and partake in the world. The majority of my work pointed to enjoyment, hobbies, and expressing common interest with others. The important thing to realize is that community is supporting the individual and vice versa. Without the motivation for the individual builder, there would be no PC building community. And without the community and the support behind it, PC building would be a rarity. Furthermore, the desire to build better and stronger machines is always in play. The aspiration to build better, cheaper, and faster computers. We communicate with each other and talk to each other. This forum is a great example of this type of system. It works really well. As a LinusTechTips forum member, I feel right at home and that I could talk about anything computers to the community. I can also ask for help if I run into any technical troubles.

The purpose of doing this research was not only to spread the knowledge of the PC master race (it's a joke, calm down, and move on), but to find out more about the workings of the community and the builder as an individual. This assignment gave me a great excuse to survey the community. I have always wanted to bring together the PC building community and learn about them, and ultimately see how the individual affects the community. Here are the results of the survey organized neatly in tables. I did not include all the questions that were asked because some didn't have much relation to what needs to be said here. The four questions shown below are sufficient enough to summarize the survey results.   

MWjv1PN.png

If you love what you do, it's not work.

This is quite an interesting study, but don't you think it shows more about why people have hobbies, rather than it saying something about the PC hobbyists?

Apart from the PC specific points, it more or less tells the background of every item focused community. The car enthusiasts, the music enthusiasts and the model train community(?) would probably mention alot of the same things.

They have something in common (their hobbies) and that fuel their passion for that hobby.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

When you used ''pc master race'' made me stop reading. I think that is a bit ignorant to everything else. Especially consoles

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

When you used ''pc master race'' made me stop reading. I think that is a bit ignorant to everything else. Especially consoles

Just a joke. Chill.

I keep upgrading and customizing my PC because of that warm feeling it gives me when I look at it and it looks beautiful...

mh4RwdX.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I keep upgrading and customizing my PC because of that warm feeling it gives me when I look at it and it looks beautiful...

mh4RwdX.jpg

Sick PC!

Sick PC!

:D thanks

i still need to post my mod/build log this weekend

just teasing ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

mh4RwdX.jpg

That's really pretty. Saw the customisation log. Hows the H100i doing? 

Sorry if we are too good for you. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Sorry if we are too good for you. 

Well I also enjoy pc gaming but its very ignorant to say ''pc master race''. Like only pc is good, everything else sucks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Well I also enjoy pc gaming but its very ignorant to say ''pc master race''. Like only pc is good, everything else sucks

You know it is a joke right? It shouldn't be taken to heart. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Because it's cheaper to get what I want, and easier to cherry pick the precise components I want.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

That's really pretty. Saw the customisation log. Hows the H100i doing? 

H100i is great. It actually is completely silent in the upright position.

When I had it horizontally at the top of my 800D the microbubbles would easily get into the loop and make noise.

With the resevoir and barbs on the top, now its quiet all the time, even when I move it :)

I was actually looking around recently at liquid coolers hoping to find something better.

The only thing I really liked was the fractal design AiOs. They are not 140mm, but I would be able to use my nb e-loops and change the tubing on it.

The CPU block would also be much easier to paint since it doesnt have a bunch of ports and plugs around the side :)

Sadly I think they are only available in europe, and idk if they have even been released yet.

Spoiler

H100i is great. It actually is completely silent in the upright position.

When I had it horizontally at the top of my 800D the microbubbles would easily get into the loop and make noise.

With the resevoir and barbs on the top, now its quiet all the time, even when I move it :)

I was actually looking around recently at liquid coolers hoping to find something better.

The only thing I really liked was the fractal design AiOs. They are not 140mm, but I would be able to use my nb e-loops and change the tubing on it.

The CPU block would also be much easier to paint since it doesnt have a bunch of ports and plugs around the side :)

Sadly I think they are only available in europe, and idk if they have even been released yet.

Nice. What about the painted tubing? Any cracking?

Nice. What about the painted tubing? Any cracking?

Nope, the tubing is perfect :)

Very flexible.

If I ever change coolers, I pan to use the EK ZMT norprene tubing and plastidip it white.

I like the matte white look of it, plus the tubing has no plasticizer at all :)

Spoiler

mh4RwdX.jpg

You finally got rid of your 800D right?

Nope, the tubing is perfect :)

Very flexible.

If I ever change coolers, I pan to use the EK ZMT norprene tubing and plastidip it white.

I like the matte white look of it, plus the tubing has no plasticizer at all :)

How would you go about fitting that?

How would you go about fitting that?

The fractal design coolers are refillable, and have 1/4" threads so I would just need to buy some fittings and it would work :)

Spoiler

You finally got rid of your 800D right?

Yup :)

Spoiler

The fractal design coolers are refillable, and have 1/4" threads so I would just need to buy some fittings and it would work :)

Oh yeah.

Brain, function normally please.