Anti Static Wristband

GreenLeafy

Hey everyone, I've always been wondering, if I were to build a PC, should I get an anti static wristband? I live in southern Ontario, and I'll probably be building it on a large wooden table on a tile floor. It's not very dry here, but it's not moist either, so it's somewhere imbetween. I rarely get shocked at all, so I don't really feel that purchasing an anti static wristband will be really necessary. I would probably just touch my computer case to discharge the static. Also, I've read that the power supply has to be in the case and connected to an outlet to be grounded; is this true? If it is, then what would happen if I just touched a case that wasn't grounded? If this is really necessary, then I'll go ahead and purchase one for five bucks; no big deal. But what are the chances of breaking an expensive part while building on a wooden table on a tile floor (without grounding by touching a case)? Thanks a lot.

Current Rig:

i7 4770k   ||    Z87 Sabertooth   ||   16gb Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600   ||   MSI GTX 780 Gaming   ||   Fractal Design Define R4 Window (Black Pearl)   ||   Intel 530 120gb   ||   Seagate Barracuda 1TB   ||   Corsair RM850   ||   Corsair H100i 

You don't really need one. Just touching the case every 5 minutes or so is fine, provided the case is plugged in which is what causes it to be grounded. With a wood table and tile floor you're unlikely to develop any static charge however if you're wearing certain things: sports shirts in particular those can develop a large static charge. I've actually seen on odd occasions electrical charge jumping around over my Arsenal shirt when I took it off in the dark - its because of the fabric.

I wear socks on carpet in the middle of Winter and have no problems. Just take off your jacket and fondle your PSU/case before touching anything.

I wear socks on carpet in the middle of Winter and have no problems. Just take off your jacket and fondle your PSU/case before touching anything.
I don't wear a jacket inside. Lolz. Thanks anyway.

Current Rig:

i7 4770k   ||    Z87 Sabertooth   ||   16gb Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600   ||   MSI GTX 780 Gaming   ||   Fractal Design Define R4 Window (Black Pearl)   ||   Intel 530 120gb   ||   Seagate Barracuda 1TB   ||   Corsair RM850   ||   Corsair H100i 

You don't really need one. Just touching the case every 5 minutes or so is fine, provided the case is plugged in which is what causes it to be grounded. With a wood table and tile floor you're unlikely to develop any static charge however if you're wearing certain things: sports shirts in particular those can develop a large static charge. I've actually seen on odd occasions electrical charge jumping around over my Arsenal shirt when I took it off in the dark - its because of the fabric.

Thanks a lot! I've also noticed that with different types of shirts. I usually just wear a cotton t-shirt and some PJs when I'm walking around the house, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Current Rig:

yeah, simply touching your case/chassis will discharge or equalize the static between you and your build. Electricity discharges due to a DIFFERENCE in voltage, therefore as long as you are in equilibrium with your case, there is no potential for harm. (to you or components)