i7 4790K OC w/ corsair h50 tips

Go to solution Solved by kingdorian,

What should I. Lock it at? 4.3-4.4

Start at something like 4,3Ghz@1.275V or something. Stresstest it if it becomes unstable lower the multiplier or raise the voltage (not above 1.3-1.325 with that cooler I think) if it becomes to hot but its still stable (I bet this is not going to happen but still) lower the voltage untill it becomes unstable. If it doesn't become too hot or unstable raise the multiplier some more.

I've got mine currently running at 4,4Ghz@1.291V But I got it stable at 4.9Ghz@1.375V but I didn't feel comfortable with such a high voltage on my cpu and I didn't need the extra Ghz it was just for fun.

My Intel prosseser (4790k) got delayed (from limited stock or something) and that gave me time for oc tips with the h50. Right know I am thinking 4.5Ghz @1.3-1.333 volts. Will that work or could I go higher or should I go lower?

Plz Help,

MRE

You'll probably want to stop at 1.3v. You're expecting a lot from that cooler, it's obviously not the best.

IIRC around 1.35v should be the limit for Haswell chips.

You'll probably want to stop at 1.3v. You're expecting a lot from that cooler, it's obviously not the best.IIRC around 1.35v should be the limit for Haswell chips.

Start at something like 4,3Ghz@1.275V or something. Stresstest it if it becomes unstable lower the multiplier or raise the voltage (not above 1.3-1.325 with that cooler I think) if it becomes to hot but its still stable (I bet this is not going to happen but still) lower the voltage untill it becomes unstable. If it doesn't become too hot or unstable raise the multiplier some more.

I've got mine currently running at 4,4Ghz@1.291V But I got it stable at 4.9Ghz@1.375V but I didn't feel comfortable with such a high voltage on my cpu and I didn't need the extra Ghz it was just for fun.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Depends on the CPU, every single chip is different, so wait for it to see.

Also, don't start with a setting in mind when you OC; specially voltage, you have to go step by step, first increasing the clockspeed until there is any fail or instability, and then  bump up the voltage a bit. Repeat until big diminishing returns, or too hot temps.

That sounds more reasonable. Temperature increases very quickly with clock and volt on these chips.