Make a boot-able Windows USB installer the correct way

Cyanotical

Often people turn to online tools, and they never quite work right for windows, however, the tools for making a boot-able USB drive are build into all versions of Windows since Vista and 2K8:

Standard Installer (Vista/7/8/Server):

first, insert your windows vista/7/8/server disk or mount the iso, as well as the USB dive you will be using, take note of the assigned drive letters.

in this case i'll be using L: for the DVD drive, and M: for the USB drive

9IphX5xl.png

next, right click the USB drive and select 'Format':

HsJumGtl.png

select 'NTFS' as the file system, name the drive, and click format:

WGGJiqRl.png

next, open an elevated command prompt or powershell (right click and 'run as administrator')

navigate to the DVD/ISO boot folder by typing cd x:\boot ('x' is the letter of the DVD drive or ISO)

4FgHG7Sl.png

next, type bootsect /nt60 y: ('y' is the letter of your USB drive you just formatted)

byFbWWAl.png

next, simply go to your DVD/ISO and copy all the files, then paste them into your USB drive

yQ1kgKHl.png

and that's it, you're done, no looking through 10 websites for a boot tool, or risking viruses, malware, or whatever

one thing to note, this only works for Windows, if you want to use Linux, are currently using Linux, or simply want a tool anyway, get Unetbootin

also, if you want to make a universal Win7 installer, (you can pick which version you want to install, such as home or pro, but not x86 or x64)

in your win7 ISO, or USB drive, go to :/sources/ and delete the file named ei.cfg

mXA7cFGl.png

UEFI Installer (8/Server 2012):

this is for the most part a CLI drive management partitioning and then a simple copy/paste

first open a elevated command prompt or powershell (right click, 'run as administrator'):

type diskpart:

ofYjLeTl.png

next type list disk:

VMx8aSql.png

now, look for the USB drive you are using, it is very important that you select the right one (judge by capacity, they don't make 8GB hard drives anymore)

in this case my USB drive is disk 7

type select disk x ('x' is the number of your disk)

zjbPkoFl.png

now type clean (this will erase any data on the disk)

oewGY45l.png

now type create partition primary:

amXLtX7l.png

next type active:

leMTFvnl.png

now type format fs fat32 quick:

sl34GgUl.png

now type assign (this will cause the explorer to pop up with the drive)

E6RWeuZl.png

go back to the command line and type exit, then go to your Win8/Server2k12 DVD/ISO, select all the files, and copy them

LcvWtaNl.png

now just paste them into the USB drive:

mmBrVqel.png

that's it, no bootsect or boot partitioning needed, it's possible to do this through Disk Management, but CLI is a bit faster and linear

all you have to do next is plug the drive into the computer, the USB drive should be detected as a UEFI option

as for the actual install, not every EFI motherboard is ready for an actual UEFI install, some may just not work (cough*rampage IV extreme)

nice guide, ill still use my good old wintoflash which never have failed me :) but in case everything should fail, ill do it manually :)

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

Very useful guide, it's in my bookmark for my future build.

Note that when you format your USB drive, it will wipe all the data (I think).

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Easiest windows to USB drive tool I've used so far :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

not all tools work all the time, especially when going between vista/7/8 and various server versions, or if you are using a ARM based tablet, such as the Surface

You can also use the Microsoft Windows USB/DVD Tool

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

yeah that's true :) command prompt super seeds past all the bull shit

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Darn beat me to it. I was actually just using it the other night to make my windows 8 installation. Dead simple, Just gotta wait til I can get my new SSD and see how fast I can Install from a USB 3 drive.

I liked this tutorial :-) I think its fun to do it this way! =)

Good tutorial. There should be a tutorial on how to make a windows to go flash drive. I made one over the summer and it is really interesting.

Ill book mark this, its nice using USB for everything because not everything has an optical, and opticals are usually pretty slow. For making an OS X boot disk or bootable USB for a Mac use Transmac, for Linux or any other bootable ISO use Universal USB Installer, for multiple bootable ISOs on the same flash drive use YUMI. I have used these so many times that I cant count.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I like Windows USB installer's, I have 3 of them. 1 with windows XP ( just for those old school customers), 1 with windows 7 on it, and one with windows 8 on it. I really like the USB installers over the traditional ODD. much easier to reformat on the fly if need be.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Why u no post like 2 days ago. Just installed windows then, and I couldn't figure out how to make a usb, so I had to use (God forgive me for my sins) a cd. DUN DUN DUUUNNNN

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

CDs are much better simply because they are cheap.

Just burn a copy of windows to a dvd and you have it forever.

A USB; you will most likely format after you use it. Then if you ever need windows for some random reason. (crash for example) you won't have it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

A USB; you will most likely format after you use it. Then if you ever need windows for some random reason. (crash for example) you won't have it.

Of course, I have a copy of Windows 7 and XP, on DVD/CD. But when you have to install the OS on bunch of computers, an USB is much faster. Plus, many people don't build their rigs with DVD burners any more. (including myself), so the only way to install an OS is through USB.

Cheers :D

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

This guide, my friend, is the best of its kind. Good job!

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

Not at all saying its a bad thing. I remember my first build without a floppy disk drive.

I regretted it almost straight away because I had all my drivers on floppies.

But I guess times are changing. Drivers are still an ass to install without disks sometimes as you need drivers to access the internet sometimes, etc.

I can't imagine a rig without a DVD burner.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

This is why i keep an external DVD drive lying around. Can't remember the last time I used it though

is this possible to do with an ext hdd?

The Win8 Pro update includes the ability to make an ISO image file, as well as a bootable USB thumb drive

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

My CMD and Powershell doesn't recognise 'bootsect'. Anyone know why?

Thanks! I am so going to try this!

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

i have had times where i needed a disk drive to install Drivers. but other than that and for watching BluRays i have not used my drive in a long time. i install the OS from a USB. use of a disk drive is very limited these days. so IMO this tutorial is going to be very helpful to many.

BTW i used to have 2 DVD burners on my PC 5 years ago an i used both of them at the same time