Recommend me some good headphones.

Go to solution Solved by SpyRosL,

A safe choice is the audio technica m50x. It matches all your criteria.

Don't even think about the DT 990. The impedance is too high for any phones or PCs without a good sound card/DAC.

I'm looking for new headphones after my $40 Sony pair was broken, and I'm looking to go a step up in quality. I currently am carrying around my Turtle Beach X12's with a USB battery , but they are way too complex for being carried around and they have a few problems. First, the cord on the X12 is horrid. Every month or so I have to hang them from the ceiling so the accumulated tangles will spin themselves out. Second, the plastic sides are breaking and falling off in pieces. Third, the 2.5 mm cord for Xbox 360 is broken and my voice will randomly cut out sometimes. I'm looking to replace this setup by getting a nice microphone on a boom and getting a pair of ~$200 headphones to use both at home and when traveling. I will use these recording youtube gameplay and commentary, listening to a lot of youtube, listening to mostly monstercat record label music. At home I'll be driving them with a HP motherboard's built in audio, and when I'm elsewhere I use my Iphone 5S. They should be mainly metal construction or at least shouldn't have large portions of plastic. I've found three possibilities on my own, the AudioTechnica ATH-A900x, the Beyerdynamic DT 660, and  the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I'm not sure if the 990's at 250 ohms would be a good idea for being driven off an Iphone 5S, however. Before choosing I thought I'd just see if anyone else has a better recommendation. Thanks for repsonding!

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Don't even think about the DT 990. The impedance is too high for any phones or PCs without a good sound card/DAC.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Seems like you're right. Thanks!

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Not sure if this helps, but the Steelseries Flux are really good for phones, I use them on my PC with the split cable(2x3.5mm) and they sound amazing with the onboard sound card, one major plus is the fact that the cable is removable and you get 2 cables, one for the pc with 2x3.5mm and one 3.5mm one with inline mic for mobile devices(phones/tablets/laptops).When I go somewhere(not school, those fuckers would break them if they see such high tech stuff on me, so I use samsung s5 in ears) I just unplug the cable from my headphones(the one connected to the pc) and connect the single 3.5mm one  to my phone :)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

I see your signature and raise you an "Impedance is just a number".

(Actually a serious post.)

If you're not sure what you're talking about it's probably best to voice your uncertainty.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I see your signature and raise you an "Impedance is just a number".

(Actually a serious post.)

If you're not sure what you're talking about it's probably best to voice your uncertainty.

So,you are saying that an iphone can drive the DT990s with that hefty impedance as fine as a good low impedance headphones?

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

So,you are saying that an iphone can drive the DT990s with that hefty impedance as fine as a good low impedance headphones?

DT line is pretty sensitive at 96 dB/mW. This compensates for the impedance.

In some ways it's harder to power the low impedance headphones correctly.

Also, your original post was that most PC's can even "handle it". I've plugged my HD800s everywhere. Some sources have bad noise floor and other problems but that occurs for every headphone/earphone. Also, often it is brought up that the hardest to drive headphone on the market today has an impedance of below 100ohms. Especially your statement telling him not to even think about DT990s. They have different version with different impedances. On top of that I wouldn't really have qualms even running the 600 ohm version on my onboard. If one is worried they can just pick the 250 or lower.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Never tried the DT990, but what I've tried was the 300 ohms HD650, which can run straight of Ipad3 with headache level of loudness, louder than the 35 ohms HE400.

Let that sink for a moment. Also it's best if you can find a store that carries lots of brands and types, and test them for yourself. You'll understand what wizzie said, 'impedance is just a number'

DT line is pretty sensitive at 96 dB/mW. This compensates for the impedance.

Also, your original post was that most PC's can even "handle it". I've plugged my HD800s everywhere. Some sources have bad noise floor and other problems but that occurs for every headphone/earphone. Also, often it is brought up that the hardest to drive headphone on the market today has an impedance of below 100ohms. Especially your statement telling him not to even think about DT990s. They have different version with different impedances. On top of that I wouldn't really have qualms even running the 600 ohm version on my onboard. If one is worried they can just pick the 250 or lower.

Never tried the DT990, but what I've tried was the 300 ohms HD650, which can run straight of Ipad3 with headache level of loudness, louder than the 35 ohms HE400.

Let that sink for a moment. Also it's best if you can find a store that carries lots of brands and types, and test them for yourself. You'll understand what wizzie said, 'impedance is just a number'

Ok,thanks for the tips :)

Ok,thanks for the tips :)

This 'headphone X is 250 ohms, therefore it's absolutely definitely certainly cannot be powered off mobile phones, thus needs a powerful amp' is getting a bit out of hand. Not just in this topic, but in other topics as well.

Let me ask you this then: say if I get myself a sound level meter (device that measures loudness level), and take pictures of the measurements of some high impedance headphones, compared to a low impedance headphone (I'll be using my 35 ohms HE400 as the static comparison), and post the pictures, would that change your mindset about 'high impedance = absolutely definitely needs an amp'?

I'm genuinely asking, because if it turns out that even with said pictures, the mindset stays the same, then I'd have wasted efforts in vain.

I plug my T1 into my Note 3 all the time. Works.  Not TERRIBLY loud, but keep in mind I'm not advocating hearing damage either. 

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I plug my T1 into my Note 3 all the time. Works.  Not TERRIBLY loud, but keep in mind I'm not advocating hearing damage either. 

Yeh I used to use my LCD-2 with my nexus 7 2013, and it works fine with my HD800's as well.

It actually got quite loud, definitely enough to damage hearing over the course of a listening session.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627277/headphones-arent-getting-loud-enough

General statement, but If you read head-fi long enough you'll come to understand just how many people have REAL hearing damage from listening to music WAY too loud.

Buy anything you want, but don't hurt your ears. Please.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."