Is moving a PC to various rooms of the house bad?

Snoogans2you

Hi all!

I built my first PC this summer for gaming and while I love it, my goal was to be able to use Nvidia Gamestream, or Steam in-home streaming to play games on my living room and bedroom TVs when I didn't want to sit in my office. While the game streaming technology is good, it's not great for 1080p/60fps streaming, even on a wired ethernet connection (there's just too much stutter for my liking). I'm wondering if I just get something like this, and roll the PC to the room I want to use it in, plug it in via hdmi, would that be bad for it? I'm very careful with my tech, but if it's bad for the computer to be disconnected and reconnected semi-regularly, I won't risk it.

Any thoughts, or advice would be appreciaetd!

That's what she said.

I actually have my whole desk on wheels, so I can move it wherever I want, but I'm assuming you just want to move your PC only. I don't think it will be affected much.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

As long as you don't throw your PC down when you get to the room, you'll definitely be okay. PC's don't have a built in GPS so that they can break themselves when they sense movement, as long as you're careful and it's not suffocated it's A-OKAY.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

No its not. Just make sure that you don't suffocate the psu on carpet (if, it is facing down on bottom), and try and stay clear of pet hair. So you should be fine.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Actually you CAN damage the HDD if the PC is moving (and obviously the pc is open)
It's unlikely to damage the HDD but if you so this for years then it might die :P
If the PC is closed or the HDD is inactive or you have an SSD, there will be no problem.

youll be fine i take mine to work with me a lot and i dont any issues ever

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Actually you CAN damage the HDD if the PC is moving (and obviously the pc is open)

It's unlikely to damage the HDD but if you so this for years then it might die :P

If the PC is closed or the HDD is inactive or you have an SSD, there will be no problem.

i totally agree with this statement but i dont really care since i get free hdd all the time 

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

You'll be fine as long as you're careful. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

So long as you don't kick your PC down the stairs and yell "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!!" You will be just fine.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

the computer is not made out of glass so i dont see whats the problem 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

If you're careful then its fine. It will be a pain having to shut down and start again every time you move it, but maybe it doesnt matter that much to you if you have an SSD.

Another option to not have to restart every time you move it is to buy a small UPS, so that when you unplug it to move it your PC will stay on for a few minutes, enough time for you to move it and plug it back in wherever you move it :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're asking about moving the PC from place to place physically damaging the computer, no. Nothing will happen to it. As long as it has fresh air and isn't being thrown down the stairs, you'll be okay.

Before I bought my car, I used to transport my LAN rig in a small suitcase with wheels. Needless to say, I wasn't that carfull with it and it got the occasional scratch, bump, ect and it sems to run fine. Make sure to take any HDD out before you move it though, just to make sure, if it's a SSD, don't bother, it couldn't care less if it was being moved or not. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

If the pc is like, sliding, doesn't matter, but for example if you take it down stairs in those things, you might harm the HDD, as long as you just slide it on that, it's fine.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Thanks for the replies, all! I ended up getting the wheel base for the pc to slide around my 1-story home (should have mentioned that in the original post). Working great so far!

That's what she said.

Thanks for the replies, all! I ended up getting the wheel base for the pc to slide around my 1-story home (should have mentioned that in the original post). Working great so far!

I would love a Build Log

Because he had a hard drive.