Crazy water cooling idea

Go to solution Solved by mrmonmon2,

Well you can ghetto it like this guy did

post-58744-0-74375900-1418098987.jpg

post-58744-0-22692400-1418098999.jpg

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Yeah I was about to mention something about this, it seems to be a pretty common problem with Corsair AIOs.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Okay so i've got an i7 4790k with an h100i. Long story short Its probably the most disappointing cpu i've ever purchased. Regardless of that It wasn't cheap so now i'm stuck with it so my best option to increase its performance is to overclock. Unfortunately Its already running extremely hot under load. (78+C) Its not a bad mount or the thermal compound.

Here is my concept. I'm planning on using a car radiator from a b18c1 Honda motor as both my radiator and reservoir for a loop on my CPU. So what i'm looking for is a pump and CPU block capable of moving high volume. Any suggestions?

Here are some links:

Read Posts #1 and #3

Corsair Forum Washer Mod

cm6m.jpg

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I didn't know this was a problem, will keep this in mind next time someone has a similar issue, post liked!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Car radiators aren't that crazy of an idea, before there was legit PC watercooling gear people used what they had access to eg, car radiators.

You should probably try find out what the real issue is here, your 100i should be cooling more than it is, therefor throwing more radiator at it probably wont help at all.

I'd give what has been mentioned above a go.

I'm gonna look into this

Car radiators aren't that crazy of an idea, before there was legit PC watercooling gear people used what they had access to eg, car radiators.

You should probably try find out what the real issue is here, your 100i should be cooling more than it is, therefor throwing more radiator at it probably wont help at all.

I'd give what has been mentioned above a go.

This cpu has always been hot. before i got an aftermarket cooler it would idle at 70+c

depending how long you've had it for, if its that hot you should be able to RMA it. or take out Intel Performance Turning Protection and cook it, then get a replacement http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

depending how long you've had it for, if its that hot you should be able to RMA it. or take out Intel Performance Turning Protection and cook it, then get a replacement http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I'm probably going to get it protected just because its going to fry sooner rather than later. But I'd rather have a time machine to stop myself from buying it.

I'm probably going to get it protected just because its going to fry sooner rather than later. But I'd rather have a time machine to stop myself from buying it.

That sucks, I had a 3770k that was very bad. I spent over $1000 on watercooling it and it was still very bad (single cores hitting 100degrees on farCry 3). I ended up delidding and dropping temps over over 20degrees. I just received my  4790k today, hopefully its OK but... i'll be delidding it as well...

Is it on all cores or just a couple of hot cores?

That sucks, I had a 3770k that was very bad. I spent over $1000 on watercooling it and it was still very bad (single cores hitting 100degrees on farCry 3). I ended up delidding and dropping temps over over 20degrees. I just received my  4790k today, hopefully its OK but... i'll be delidding it as well...

Is it on all cores or just a couple of hot cores?

Theres very slight differences between cores but its not consistent. I'm considering delidding. just really scary.

Theres very slight differences between cores but its not consistent. I'm considering delidding. just really scary.

The way I justified is when looking at my system the CPU was almost the component was the cheapest single part. At that hot it's basically unusable, got the chop :). I did the razor method on the 3770k, I'll be going the vice only method on the 4790k

dude before you delid try the rubber washer methed and also pulling the rad out of the case first or pull your side panel and have a normal fan blowing on the side.

dude before you delid try the rubber washer methed and also pulling the rad out of the case first or pull your side panel and have a normal fan blowing on the side.

Do this first, then delid if you do not get any usable temps. Also If you are scared of damaging the CPU use the method where you cut the sealant on the corner than use a card that is thin enough to fit under the IHS to remove it as paper/card will not damage the CPU. If you do decide to delid, then I highly suggest doing all your research first.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Do this first, then delid if you do not get any usable temps. Also If you are scared of damaging the CPU use the method where you cut the sealant on the corner than use a card that is thin enough to fit under the IHS to remove it as paper/card will not damage the CPU. If you do decide to delid, then I highly suggest doing all your research first.

The way I justified is when looking at my system the CPU was almost the component was the cheapest single part. At that hot it's basically unusable, got the chop :). I did the razor method on the 3770k, I'll be going the vice only method on the 4790k

Solved! Took ran the radiator outside of the case ( my gpu was generating a lot of case heat) and added 2 more fans to the rad. cranked em to the max and also got overclocker's protection. Now I'm running 5.2 Ghz at 54C during normal use and 72 at max load. Peaked once during startup to 84C for a brief second.

Thanks everyone for your help! I suppose my next step is to work on getting better airflow in my case (and probably a bigger case)

heres what i did

5.2ghz normal use? Run IBT AVX and see how stable that is please  ;)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

heres what i did

That's nothing. I've got an h110 in push/pull in the top of my air 540

hQ42tvT.jpg

Had to put the 2 noctua's in pull on top of the case because of mobo heatsink clearance 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5.2ghz normal use? Run IBT AVX and see how stable that is please

Actually I think its dead. 5 beeps on boot.

Actually I think its dead. 5 beeps on boot.

5.2 for an intel chip is very taxing, and your cooler wouldn't be able to keep that sort of heat down, going into custom loop territory. Try clocking everything down and see if it boots. Might not be dead just yet man.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

5.2 for an intel chip is very taxing, and your cooler wouldn't be able to keep that sort of heat down, going into custom loop territory. Try clocking everything down and see if it boots. Might not be dead just yet man.

Could't get into bios. Took out the cmos battery and it booted

you should look at how much heat the thing will actually make and how much cooling capacity it needs, you will quickly reach a point where your are wasting space/time/effort/money on this.. something, anything the size of a car radiator is overkill for a cpu, even a whole systems loop, even a very hot one. 

that case you have has cooling line holes going out the back to use an external radiator