AIO Liquid Cooler Mounting Issue

Go to solution Solved by Lord Pantaloons,

This is a known issue

Likely a mounting problem [with the Corsair H100i], not making proper contact. Needs a washer mod.

Be careful when you mount your AIO liquid cooler, I've only experience with this on Corsair's coolers but it may happen with any other cooler with flat pre-applied thermal paste.

When you mount the cooler, the thermal paste doesn't come in full contact with the CPU, the thermal paste is flat and you screw in the corners.

This is not a problem if you apply your own thermal paste, because it will spread by itself evenly. However, the pre-applied paste is flat and Intel CPU's have a concave surface. Source

I removed the waterblock of my Corsair H60 off and this is what I found.

http://imgur.com/MRTtIPO

I thought my 4770K was a a bad chip. Turns out the middle of the pre-applied thermal paste didn't even touch the center of the IHS, causing unnecessary heat.

Not sure what the message would be; apply your own thermal paste? Corsair should have their thermal paste in a blob like the stock cooler does?  :huh:

Did you screw in each corner evenly? As in doing like 5 twists and doing the opposite one then adjacent then opposite and so on.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Yeah, I'd just apply my own anyways.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You should always use high quality thermal paste.

But just FYI, your title is wrong. It's not 'corsair coolers' have mounting issues. It is only the AiOs that use the custom square waterblock and mount, which is actually very few of their AiOs.

Oh and btw, not all the square AiOs will have this issue. Mine didn't have this problem at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is a known issue

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Did you screw in each corner evenly? As in doing like 5 twists and doing the opposite one then adjacent then opposite and so on.

Cross pattern evenly. It's just the thermal paste is flat and Intel's IHS is concave. Click on source to read on it.

You should always use high quality thermal paste. But just FYI, your title is wrong. It's not 'corsair coolers' have mounting issues. It is only the AiOs that use the custom square waterblock and mount, which is actually very few of their AiOs.

Be careful when you mount your AIO liquid cooler, I've only seen this happen to Corsair's coolers but it may happen with any other cooler as well.

Cross pattern evenly. It's just the thermal paste is flat and Intel's IHS is concave. Click on source to read on it.

Interesting, I had better luck with my H110. When It was applied already temps were the same as when I had applied my own. maybe its just with the older Asetek coolers.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Not the first time I've heard this about Corsair's blocks. They should do something about it

"Rawr XD"

Did you not read my post?

I said your title makes it sound like all corsair AiOs have this issue, and that is wrong. Do you not understand?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Did you not read my post?

I said your title makes it sound like all corsair AiOs have this issue, and that is wrong. Do you not understand?

So? Can I change the title then? /s

This is a known issue

I hope Corsair does something about it then, I should have known earlier. Maybe this post would give some awareness. Now I regret putting on the cooler because my CPU was overheating at 80C (lowered voltage, stock speeds) for 2 months straight. That's bad for the capacitors right?

So? Can I change the title then? /s

Yeah you can...

I see you just found that out after editing your post ;)

Spoiler

Yeah you can...

I see you just found that out after editing your post ;)

What? I just put a note in bold, how do you change the title?

What? I just put a note in bold, how do you change the title?

You click 'edit' then 'use full editor' then you type in your new title.

Spoiler

You click 'edit' then 'advanced options' then you type in your new title.

Oh ok. Fixed.

It is not a thermal paste problem, it is a mounting problem.  I think it has to do with not all motherboards being the same thickness.  Anyways, this is a very common problem, and it is most prevalent in Corsair AIOs.  It is not a coincidence that you see so many refurbished ones on Newegg, its because they don't work for everyone out of the box.  I cannot recommend Corsair AIOs, except the H105 to anyone because they are not guaranteed to work for everyone out of the box without washer mod.  Its a mounting problem, not thermal paste problem.  While using your own thermal paste is always helpful, it is not the root of the problem.

Here are some links:

Read Posts #1 and #3

Corsair Forum Washer Mod

cm6m.jpg

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."