Crazy water cooling idea

Go to solution Solved by mrmonmon2,

Well you can ghetto it like this guy did

post-58744-0-74375900-1418098987.jpg

post-58744-0-22692400-1418098999.jpg

Okay so i've got an i7 4790k with an h100i. Long story short Its probably the most disappointing cpu i've ever purchased. Regardless of that It wasn't cheap so now i'm stuck with it so my best option to increase its performance is to overclock. Unfortunately Its already running extremely hot under load. (78+C) Its not a bad mount or the thermal compound.

Here is my concept. I'm planning on using a car radiator from a b18c1 Honda motor as both my radiator and reservoir for a loop on my CPU. So what i'm looking for is a pump and CPU block capable of moving high volume. Any suggestions?

erm.

Crazy doesn't even begin to make terms of this. My i7-4790k runs idle at 24 degrees and no more than 45-55 under load with a H105 (and a OC to 4.6Ghz). I won the silicon lottery. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Why is it disappointing?

Its one of the best CPUs on the market, far better than anything from AMD...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've seen this done before and it isn't really necessary at all, you can do just fine with a custom loop with a decent amount of rad space. Another reason why your CPU might be so hot is down to there being too much/not enough TIM under the IHS which many people end up delidding the CPU to get the temps down to further their OC.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

erm.

Crazy doesn't even begin to make terms of this. My i7-4790k runs idle at 24 degrees and no more than 45-55 under load with a H105 (and a OC to 4.6Ghz). I won the silicon lottery. 

unfortunately I don't think 4.6 ghz will be enough. The reason I'm considering this is because I already have the tubes and radiator. It would be much more affordable.

Why is it disappointing?

Its one of the best CPUs on the market, far better than anything from AMD...

I was much happier with the 9590 A overpriced quad core was a mistake. My next rig will probably be a dual xeon. Most applications I use are too intensive for a quad core cpu.

I've seen this done before and it isn't really necessary at all, you can do just fine with a custom loop with a decent amount of rad space. Another reason why your CPU might be so hot is down to there being too much/not enough TIM under the IHS which many people end up delidding the CPU to get the temps down to further their OC.

Unfortunately if i break my cpu in the process i will not be able to afford a replacement and im not really comfortable delidding my cpu without a backup.

I was much happier with the 9590 A overpriced quad core was a mistake. My next rig will probably be a dual xeon. Most applications I use are too intensive for a quad core cpu.

The 4790k is a hyperthreaded quad core...8 threads...

And it also performs far better than the 9590

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The 4790k is a hyperthreaded quad core...8 threads...

And it also performs far better than the 9590

hyper threading is not as effective is physical cores. On top of that not all applications take advantage of hyper threading. I understand that under certain conditions the 4790k performs better. But not for most applications that I use. Ones that take advantage of more cores.

hyper threading is not as effective is physical cores. On top of that not all applications take advantage of hyper threading. I understand that under certain conditions the 4790k performs better. But not for most applications that I use. Ones that take advantage of more cores.

The 9590 does not have 8 physical cores. It has 8 "half cores" as linus calls them.

They share resources of 4 full cores and are managed as 8, just like hyperthreading does.

They just dont call it anything special and just refer to it as 8 cores.

Also if you needed an upgrade from your 9590 you should probably have gone for a 6 core 12 thread extreme edition for your type of work. It would have been a much more noticeable upgrade.

Spoiler

The FX chips don't have 8 physical cores though, as for delidding, there are a few ways to do it, if temps are bothering you and you want to drop them by up to 20c then delidding is the way to go as far as my research has gone. The safest way to do it is to cut the sealant on a corner then use a store card to get rid of the rest. I understand your fear but at the same time, in the pursuit of performance, I'll do anything!  :D

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

The 9590 does not have 8 physical cores. It has 8 "half cores" as linus calls them.

They share resources of 4 full cores and are managed as 8, just like hyperthreading does.

Also if you needed an upgrade from your 9590 you should probably have gone for a 6 core 12 thread extreme edition for your type of work. It would have been a much more noticeable upgrade.

Those are typically more expensive then xeon last I remember. And even then I couldn't add a 2nd cpu.

The FX chips don't have 8 physical cores though, as for delidding, there are a few ways to do it, if temps are bothering you and you want to drop them by up to 20c then delidding is the way to go as far as my research has gone. The safest way to do it is to cut the sealant on a corner then use a store card to get rid of the rest. I understand your fear but at the same time, in the pursuit of performance, I'll do anything!  :D

So then I would apply the cooler directly to the delidded cpu with a small amount of thermal compound?

how is that so hot? ive seen 4790ks on stock fans running cooler

mostly because a 4790k cant handle things like after effects or most DAW's. My cpu usage stays consistently at 100%

what are your idle temps? also try adding more fans on the rad and everything else first, it works well 90 some percent of the time, more airflow the better.

Those are typically more expensive then xeon last I remember. And even then I couldn't add a 2nd cpu.

So then I would apply the cooler directly to the delidded cpu with a small amount of thermal compound?

No you could just put the IHS back on and use the socket clamp to keep the IHS in place when mount up the cooler again like nothing happened or you can buy kits that let you do a direct mount but from what I read it requires a lot of patience and precision so you don't crack the delicate die.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

what are your idle temps? also try adding more fans on the rad and everything else first, it works well 90 some percent of the time, more airflow the better.

I'm idling at 34C. I actually have filled every fan slot in my case right now. (antec p280) and unfortunately I cant add more fans to my rad because it barely fits past my mobo (msi z97 gaming 5) so i can only do a push configuration,

No you could just put the IHS back on and use the socket clamp to keep the IHS in place when mount up the cooler again like nothing happened or you can buy kits that let you do a direct mount but from what I read it requires a lot of patience and precision so you don't crack the delicate die.

Sorry Im a little bit behind on terminology. What does IHS stand for? I've never looked to deeply into the anatomy of a cpu

Sorry Im a little bit behind on terminology. What does IHS stand for? I've never looked to deeply into the anatomy of a cpu

Its just the heat spreader on the actual CPU, the metal lid.  :)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

well for starters see if you can get the rad out of the case and then do push pull.

also are you okay with 34 idle?? personally that's a bit high for idle

Its just the heat spreader on the actual CPU, the metal lid.  :)

So basically i would remove the lid, clean and re apply the compound, then re apply the lid?

well for starters see if you can get the rad out of the case and then do push pull.

also are you okay with 34 idle?? personally that's a bit high for idle

It is a little high. My Gpu's generate a lot of case heat also. Also I'm not sure how i would run the rad out of the case.

post-165110-0-00647000-1418096901_thumb.

AMD FX processors have 8 cores. They are in bundles of two and the two cores in the bundle share cache.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

AMD FX processors have 8 cores. They are in bundles of two and the two cores in the bundle share cache.

AMD processors have 4 modules that show up as 8 "cores".

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1e8226/

Spoiler

No but each module has 2 cores in it.

except with a bunch of features shared over the cores for "cost saving purposes" and because AMD's engineers though they would "not be a necessary performance improvement"

Spoiler

except with a bunch of features shared over the cores for "cost saving purposes" and because AMD's engineers though they would "not be a necessary performance improvement"

They still are 8 integer capable cores. For double point it pretty much needs both of the cores in the bundle and thus acts as a 4 core, but all eight can do independent integers. They have some shared stuff that is kinda dumb as a saving measure.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come