Texting / SMS Turns 22 Years Old...

You've got mail.

text_message_received.jpg

Now that's a huge text message :P

On December 3, 1992, Neil Papworth sent the worlds first ever text via short message service . His 15 character missive  ‘merry christmas’ was sent to colleague Richard Jarvis..Since then the technique was adapted & popularised by public medium as a must for day to day communication, A personal computer was used to type in the text since mobile phones at that time didn’t have keyboards..

Today, an estimated 2,500 text messages are sent every second in Canada alone.

Origin of the SMS

Hillebrand who was the chairman of the non-voice services committee for the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) was tasked with developing a technology capable of transmitting, receiving and displaying text messages. The limited bandwidth available on wireless networks, which at the time were the sole reserve of car phones,

Friedhelm-Hillebrand.jpg

Friedhelm Hillebrand

Hillebrand and his team had to find a data pipeline capable of sending short messages across all cellular carriers and to all mobile phones.the idea of harnessing an existing radio channel that was already used to alert cellphones about reception strength.

They tested that it could send 160 characters, but wasn't convinced that no-one ever going to send more than 160 characters :/ Friedhelm Hillebrand found that most complete sentences and questions ran around 160 characters, So thus the standard (old) .Now a days mobile devices support larger & much diverse ways to send a message..

sms-messages.jpg

“I don’t think even creators of the GSM standards would have imagined all the uses it has been put to in the last 22 years.”

-Neil Papworth

Early GSM handsets did not support SMS, and when they began to, the protocol was only used to inform recipients of a voicemail. It took a further seven years for cross-network SMS to become available.SMS nearly didn’t happen. It was so slow out of the gate, it threatened to simply give up and head back to the stable.

During the 90s and early 2000s, teenagers adopted the technology in turn escalated it's popularity among their generation

texting.jpg

The original Nokia phone beep was actually Morse code for “SMS.”

It took operators a while to “realize the profit they could make from charging more for sending outside the network,”

- Neil Papworth.

Texting is so popular that among adults aged 26-35 only 1 out of every 10 people would prefer to meet up face-to-face rather than send a text message , Annual text traffic is expected to reach 9.4 trillion by 2016.

Flipsyde:

Here's a different perspective at things, Texting maybe very useful for everyone But sometimes people take it too far & it has it's "side-effects" it has accounted for numerous fatality on road while texting & driving , Drivers in their 20s make up 27% of the distracted drivers in fatal crashes according to NHTSA

1041.jpg

move bitch.. get out the waay.. get out the way bitch..

If you want to communicate with your dad, your friends and your nephews and nieces, there are a plethora of options. But the only one you can guarantee will reach all of them is SMS. That’s why we’re still talking about it..

- Neil

With that out of the way..Here are some fun facts:

• Teenager Marcel Fernandes Filho recently became the world’s fastest texter by writing this message in 18.19 seconds with the text “The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human” go & try that.. :P
  • Texting is so popular that among adults aged 26-35 only 1 out of every 10 people would prefer to meet up face-to-face rather than send a text message.
  • 63% of teens text on a daily basis, with some sending as many as 100 text messages per day.
  • British surgeon David Nott performed a life-saving operation on a teenage boy in the Congo. He had never done the surgery before few in the world had but he pulled it off by receiving text message instructions on the procedure from a colleague.
  • Research shows that elementary school students who text are actually better spellers than their students who don’t text. (AFAIK / YOLO/ SWAG)

Neils paperworth

image.jpeg

Neils paperworth was 22 years old at the time of the inaugural text, working as a software engineer for the British company Vodafone to improve pager and cellphone messaging systems at a time when few people even carried cellphones.

Richard Jarvis the person who he was sending the message to was at a Vodaphone Christmas party :D

Pretty cool news Imo, Post your thoughts on this down below...

Bonus:

Batman has trouble making calls..

bruceman-i-mean-batwayne-dammit-46251.jp

Link:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/07/texting-turns-22/

Details separate people.

I read title as 'Sexting is 22yrs old' :o

Cool post, thanks for sharing.

Don't really have many thoughts on it... I hardly use/like using mobiles.

Oldschool.

That Operating table SMS procedure... lol, Imagine the co-workers  - "Is this guy for real?"

& This "The original Nokia phone beep was actually Morse code for “SMS.” <-- pretty cool, didn't know that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Cool post, thanks for sharing.

Don't really have any thoughts on it... I hardly use/like using mobiles.

Oldschool.

Go rinse out your dirty mind.

System: Thinkpad T460

Go rinse out your dirty mind.

Cleaning it out will only run the risk of adopting newer dirty ideas :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That too :P

Thank you for this article, remember all the emotions we try to do using characters? miss those days

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Was expecting it to say texting sms turns 22 years old paraplegic in car accident or something good thing its not lol

So its been around 3 years before i was born? pretty decent amount of time.

I was 2 :) I remember even when I was a young kid, people still did not have phones that could text, and they were all amazed at their new nokias and stuff that had SMS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think the SMS is dieing. Most people use What's App or Hangouts now, especially in Germany

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I think the SMS is dieing. Most people use What's App or Hangouts now, especially in Germany

Carriers are finally looking into ways to put up internet based services of sms where sms messages are send over the internet, but when you don't have any data of wifi it will send it as an standard text message. I just can't seem to remember what it was called though.

I turn 23 next month. I feel older than texting.

Well, it's probably not wrong.