Dual 970s or Single 980

Go to solution Solved by Rulerofthecrayons,

Thanks.

So, so i am going to buy a new gaming pc and i want to last for well for new games in the forseable future. I don't have an unlimited budget, and right now I am trying to decide over dual 970s or a single 980. This will be used with a 1440p monitor. Again I would like this setup to last a while if possible.

Dual 970

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

dual 970 is more expensive in most cases  and performs better but the with the 980 you can upgrade to have 980 sli in the future

u wot m7+1

dual 970 is more expensive in most cases  and performs better but the with the 980 you can upgrade to have 980 sli in the future

You can go 3 way sli with 970s.

Dual 970 escalates too good to even take into account a single 980.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I'd go with just a single 980. More room to expand, less energy, less heat, more swag.

Edit: It really depends on how much you expect from your hardware, and for how long. Both ways are good, and expensive.

So, so i am going to buy a new gaming pc and i want to last for well for new games in the forseable future. I don't have an unlimited budget, and right now I am trying to decide over dual 970s or a single 980. This will be used with a 1440p monitor. Again I would like this setup to last a while if possible.

Dual 970s will be better. It's only a little bit more then a single 980 but will give you a bigger performance improvement then cost deficit. Maxwell solves two huge problems that previously would go against SLI configurations, heat and power consumption. Now that those aren't in the way anymore, there's really no reason to choose a single 980 if you're running ATX.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

single 980 because even though dual 970's might outperform it in the short term you can save up for a little bit and get another 980. That's what I'm planning on doing.

GTX 970 is a great deal, dual is true amazing at that, so personally I think you'd get more for your money with dual

Dual 970 smokes a 980 for just a bit more money. Unless you want even more expenditure, get a 980 now and add another later. However, 970s can be overclocked to 980 performance.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

dual 970 may have more value/price, but SLI would sometimes give you a lot of headaches, so single 980.

SLI 970s cost a little more and perform better then the 980. Pro tip: since you got DAT sexy SLI 970, play your games at 4K and downscale to what you're using (1440)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

SLI 970s cost a little more and perform better then the 980. Pro tip: since you got DAT sexy SLI 970, play your games at 4K and downscale to what you're using (1440)

But would it be an issue if I were to use a micro atx motherboard? I have a small to medium sized space and I do't know if a full sized case would fit so I am looking into some smaller more portable cases.

Aren't there already quite a few threads of "Sli 970s or single 980"?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

You can go 3 way sli with 970s.

Scaling is awful though. Not worth it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

But would it be an issue if I were to use a micro atx motherboard? I have a small to medium sized space and I do't know if a full sized case would fit so I am looking into some smaller more portable cases.

Look at your mobo box or manual and see if it's SLI certified, that'll tell you. For the case, it should work if it fits your mobo. Check the website is you're not sure

Edit: if you're looking for a M-ATX case, try the air 240 by corsair

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Scaling is awful though. Not worth it.

The heat output, power consumption, and price does not make it worth it unless you got some serious money that needs to be blown