New GPU needed, please assist.

CeePeeBee

Hi all,

Brief background here...I've been running an HD7850 for a year or so with no problems. I've just grabbed 2 new monitors to use with a desk mount and thought I'd treat myself to a new GPU.

In the black Friday deals I managed to get hold of a Powercolor R9 290x for just £200. However as the more savvy of you will no doubt have guessed already, I'm not happy with it at all. Idle temps of 70 and a fan noise that is frankly akin to a Boeing taking off means I'm sending it back and in the lookout for something else.

Budget is £300 at most and my requirements are low noise and low temps. I'm happy to accept that at the cost of performance, as long as the card recommended gives a decent improvement over the HD7850 I have.

I've got a Seasonic 650w 80+ Gold PSU which seemed to deal with the 290x well enough for all of the 20mins I used it so I'm not expecting that to be an issue.

Many thanks in advance.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g - Has a 0dB feature

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970wf3oc4gd - Doesn't have 0dB feature but is still very quiet and is the best cooler out there.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hi all,

Brief background here...I've been running an HD7850 for a year or so with no problems. I've just grabbed 2 new monitors to use with a desk mount and thought I'd treat myself to a new GPU.

In the black Friday deals I managed to get hold of a Powercolor R9 290x for just £200. However as the more savvy of you will no doubt have guessed already, I'm not happy with it at all. Idle temps of 70 and a fan noise that is frankly akin to a Boeing taking off means I'm sending it back and in the lookout for something else.

Budget is £300 at most and my requirements are low noise and low temps. I'm happy to accept that at the cost of performance, as long as the card recommended gives a decent improvement over the HD7850 I have.

I've got a Seasonic 650w 80+ Gold PSU which seemed to deal with the 290x well enough for all of the 20mins I used it so I'm not expecting that to be an issue.

Many thanks in advance.

70 at idle??? you should RMA it

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

GTX 970. Asus Strix and MSI Twin Frozr versions are semi-passive. The fans turn off when they're less than 60 Celsius.

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

gtx 970 g1 from GIGAbyte: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-gigabyte-gtx-970-g1-gaming-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1178mhz-boost-1329mhz-1664-cores-3x-dp-1x-hdmi-1x-d

2446355-l-a.jpg

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Definitely recommend the ASUS STRIX GTX970, i picked 2 of them up from Ebuyer for £298 each + free games (Far cry 4, AC Unity).

Idle temps for are 39-41C and 70-74 under load aaand still very quite compared to my previous Xfire HD6970's.

Here's a link http://www.ebuyer.com/666705-asus-gtx-970-strix-directcu-ii-oc-4gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-strix-gtx970-dc2oc-4gd5

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

RMA the 290x. Sell it or return it if its a reference card.

I recommend a G1 Gaming 970 if it costs the same as a Strix-MSI card.

You wont see too much difference between the G1 970 and the Strix 970, even though the G1 Gaming have higher clocks and more OC potential, it's a 970, and the difference is going to be like 1-2 FPS.

If you can afford it, get it, it's one of the best 970's, the cooler is awesome.

I don't like passively cooled cards, because the Strix and MSI cards aren't cooling VRM's so well, the G1 Gaming heatsink is directly touching VRM's to cool them.

I agree with the GTX 970. I've got the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NQ862GY and highly recommend it. I've also worked with the MSI GTX 980 Gaming and the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX and both of those are excellent coolers/cards as well so I would imagine their 970 counterparts are the same.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

ok, thanks for the recommendations.

One follow up question though.  I've seen a coiuple of people comment that the Windforce / G1 Gaming Gigabyte cards push air to the side which manifests in rising hot air to the CPU if side fans are not mounted on the case.

Anyone have experience of that with these cards....primary concerns here are temperatures, and then noise (i.e. if temp is low fans stay quiet...)

ok,

Anyone have experience of that with these cards...

When you use multimonitors it does not declock as far down in idle mode.

Thats why it's hotter.

300/1250 or 500/1250 is usually the new idle clocks for multi-mon.

Single is 300/150

I'm currently at 44*c idle temps with my 290 cos i'm using 2 monitors (300/1250)

You'll also see variable clockspeeds even when idle, say 300mhz core can sway between 300-1000Mhz (or whatever is ur max) when doing random stuff, youtube/browsing/anything at all and it can dynamically rise up in corespeed.

You can use MSI to setup profiles, declock and saveto profile 1, normal clocks save to profile 2, go to profiles tab in options , set the auto switch to happen when it detects 2d3d load.

May mitigate some idle heat if you declock that memory 1250mhz down to say 500-800mhz (I don't know the lowest point you can go, maybe experiment with under 500mhz)

I also have an N600 case, no side panel fans, but have a fan on the backpanel which takes most of the GPU heat out (it runs at 40% constant)

My 120MM AIO CPU cooler is on the top panel at the front, so I'm lucky, if it was further back it would also get some more heat from the GPU.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm running dual monitors also.

I have an H60 on the backplate as an intake and then a 140 Noctua on the top panel exhausting.

I reckon it'll be fine.  When I ran this reference 290x at full whack and hit 90oC it didn't change the temps on the cpu...so air flow and intake/exhaust must be working well.  I'll grab a g1 gaming edition then - cheers guys!

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Wow, what were your GPU temps when playing games or a benchmark? My GPU is like 70c during max load.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Yeah, this is the R9 290x I'm sending back....was a reference card.  Sounded like a Boeing 747 taking off when it hit 95oC

first what case do you use maybe you just dont have enough to cool a 290x but i dont think so, just send it back.

i would also go with  a 970 it is a great performing card which one i dont know i have a msi gaming 4g, i think the 0db mode is verry nice when playing games that are'nt demanding like LOL it doesnt even turn on and whe it is at 99% load when playing the crew or grid for example it isnt even hearable.

@CeePeeBee

Gaming rig) i5-4690k@3,5ghz,4,1ghz turbo , gigabyte z97x-gaming 3, hyperx fury red 2x4gb(1600mhz), msi GTX 970 gaming 4, corsair cs650m PSU, corsair carbide spec-03 case, be quiet pure rock Cpu cooler, kingston v300 120gb ssd, samsung evo 830 120gb ssd, segate baracuda 1,5tb hdd, Laptop 1) HP pavilion power, i7 7700hq, 16gb ddr4, 256gb nvme ssd, 1tb hdd, nvdia gtx 1050 Laptop 2(linux mint)Dell Xps 15(2011), i3-2130m, nvidia gt525m, 4gb 1333mhz ram, 500gb hdd Laptop3(mint and windows)Dell inspiron 15z(2013), i5-3337u, hd 4000 graphics, 6gb 1600mhz ddr3, 500gb hdd, 32gb ssd(RST) First PC(still using for some windows XP programs)Amd athlon xp 1500+@1,96ghz, 2gb 300mhz ram, PNY geforce 6200, 80gb maxtor hdd, asus(tek) a7n8x-deluxe , 450W psu, spire case

The MSI GTX 970 that I have is absolutely amazing! I need better case cooling because idle it's 38c and load it's 70c but it usually idles at 30-31c and loads at 65c. Such an AMAZING card!

ok, thanks for the recommendations.

One follow up question though.  I've seen a coiuple of people comment that the Windforce / G1 Gaming Gigabyte cards push air to the side which manifests in rising hot air to the CPU if side fans are not mounted on the case.

Anyone have experience of that with these cards....primary concerns here are temperatures, and then noise (i.e. if temp is low fans stay quiet...)

Yes, it´ll heat up your cpu about 5-10°C (if you don´t have a side fan that blows the heat out)

I just got a gtx 970 from Gigabyte, got 70c running fur stress test, this card doesn't have 0 rpm like msi or Asus but this card is really quiet

I went and purchased a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming as per the recommendations.  If it heats my CPU up I'll just rearrange the fans...by christ I've got like 3 Noctua's and 6 Corsair SPs lying about....I now just wish I could find an optimum mounting position for my H60... :)

Cheers for the help, I'll post about H60 elsewhere - cheers