Corsair CX750M PSU Failure? (refurbished)

Hello,

I recently made an account on this forum to ask you all about a recent problem I have been experiencing with my newly updated rig (linked at very bottom). Originally I was running:

- Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB

-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU OEM

Everything was running great but I decided that this Black Friday would be a great time to update my rig. I updated to the parts lists in the part PCpartpicker link

(TL:DR, I updated these parts)

-CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V (refurbished)

-SAPPHIRE 100363-4L Radeon R9 280X 3GB

-AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) 

I bought the 750 watt psu because the Newegg page said that it was necessary for it to run properly. I replaced all the parts in my computer and booted it up, SUCCESS! almost

I booted up BF4 and switch to max settings and I was getting well over 60fps. I spawned in a jet and took off. Suddenly the screen went black and said NO INPUT DETECTED??? The computer then proceeded to reboot all on its own. When I logged back in, the date and time was reset to 1/1/2008 but everything else was fine (I think). Wierd..... So I tried the game that came with my CPU, Theif. I maxed out the settings then ran the Benchmark option from the main menu. The camera moved passed through the gate and passed the heavily armed guards and toward the body cart. As soon I passed the body cart............you guessed it black screen and a reset. I did the usual forum troubleshooting and I found a few other similar situations. The replies to the situation outlined three possible problems.

- overheating GPU

- overheating CPU

- faulty PSU

...Great the three things that I bought are the three issues..... I used a program called Speccy and check on the temperature of the GPU and CPU.

Summary
Operating System
         -Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
         -AMD FX-6300 21 °C
         -Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
         -8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
         -ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 (Socket 942) 27 °C
Graphics
         -ASUS VS238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
         -3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 32 °C
Storage
         -931GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SATA Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
         -DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
         -ASUS DRW-24B1ST c SATA CdRom Device
Audio
        -Realtek High Definition Audio

(these measurements were recorded whilst writing this post, and only running Chrome (4 tabs) and Spotify)

As far as I can tell there is nothing too crazy here, so the problem must be the PSU. I plan to send in my PSU for a new one and see if that fixes things. So here are my questions:

- Is the PSU at fault

- would my old PSU (above) be able to run my rig with few problems

- What do you think is the issue

P.S. if you need more info just ask =)

( http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HzczWZ )

So, does it not work then? Have you tried contacting Corsair? They apparently have AMAZING customer support

So, does it not work then? Have you tried contacting Corsair? They apparently have AMAZING customer support

I will give it a shot, thanks.

Also to answer your queston: Yes the computer is running fine but I don't dare run any graphics intensive tasks because I'm 90% sure It will reboot again and I don't want to risk damages

The Corsair ticket could take a day or two, so I still have some issues. ALSO it would be helpful if I mentioned that this is my first "modular" power supply. Is there any major trick to setting these up, because I might have done it improperly.

UPDATE: 12/6/14 7:12pm

I removed the CX750M from my setup and put in the older rose will PSU. Everything appeared to be fixed, BF4  ran on ultra and I had yet to test any other games.  According to the Cooler Master PSU calculator, mentioned in one of Linus's Tech Quickie videos, my computer should only need 500W and thus my old 630W PSU should be fine. I was watching a video a little bit later, annnnnnd boom.......reset.............. I am running virus scans (Malwarebytes and AVG FREE 2015) on my computer see if that fixes the problem, but I am not really sure how much good that will do. I have a slight suspicion that the power strip I'm using might be faulty due to its age but I doubt that because it seems strange that it would fail the same time I upgrade some parts. Anyway I hope that the Virus scan goes well and my computer returns to normal but I don't know. I don't want to consider this topic answered yet because:

- I still don't know what was going wrong and this post might help someone else

- What should I do with the 750W PSU? (it has a 1 year  warranty)

LAST UPDATE BEFORE I GO TO BED

- I tried swapping out just the graphics card = a system crash but no reboot and an annoying screeching in my headphones......

- I tried swapping out just the PSU = same instant reboot issue

- I tried removing the H60 off of my CPU because I was using a very crappy old thermal paste as a place holder, and in its place I put the stock cooler. Then I attached 3 120mm case fans to make up for the lack of cooling and the machine sound like its about to take off into space.......again same reboot problem.

- I tried non-graphics-intensive games (i.e. RISK OF RAIN)....Crash

- The only thing I have left to try is the CPU, but I need some thermal paste so I might go out tomorrow and buy some tomorrow at Radio Shack (if they even sell some)

At this point I am at a loss of what to do. I see that as of now 100 people have view this post and only one could offer any advice (thank you NeatSquidNT btw). Is this really an anomaly?

Anyway I'm going to go to bed and think happy thoughts. Please help me out if you can

Are you booting windows off your Hard Drive or are you booting it from an SSD? If you're using a hard drive or SSD it may have bad sectors, and when it tries writing to the disk it can fail causing it to reboot. I had this problem myself and did a scan for bad sectors using the Hard drive tools. If you're using western digital do a google search for Western Digital Life guard tools and if you're using another type of hard drive or SSD just use HDDScan.

Are you booting windows off your Hard Drive or are you booting it from an SSD? If you're using a hard drive or SSD it may have bad sectors, and when it tries writing to the disk it can fail causing it to reboot. I had this problem myself and did a scan for bad sectors using the Hard drive tools. If you're using western digital do a google search for Western Digital Life guard tools and if you're using another type of hard drive or SSD just use HDDScan.

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I will give this a try. I will let you know what the results are when I get around to trying it out.

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I will give this a try. I will let you know what the results are when I get around to trying it out.

Alright good luck

So I attempted to run the HDD Scan and I only got to 80 precent ( it took many hours) and the computer turned itself off again and rebooted. I was constantly measuring the temps of the computer while it was running, and the temperatures barely spiked at all. I have yet to try the other cpu because I have yet to be able to get some thermal paste yet. I'll keep monitoring this post to see if any of you have new thoughts

• 4 weeks later...