AMD GPUs can be massively bottlenecked by low end CPUs[COD: AW] [Digital Foundry]

Sharkyx1

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for optimizing software to better leverage all hardware resources, but AMD also needs to bring the hardware ffs... (CPU side anyway).

I agree. They are lacking in the CPU department as well for sure. :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

soooo....

whats new?

we've known this for a while.

basically buy nvidia or amd and dont cheap out on an i3. xD i3's are poision for gaming. 

mid level i5 and a 280 kicks ass. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I agree. They are lacking in the CPU department as well for sure. :(

i also agree. 

i do hope that they release either a new line or cazziro as the new primary high end CPU line.

i have high hopes for cazziro, just cause its an APU doesnt mean its not good for a standalone cpu, and seeing what all kaveri could do with their non-cpu cores in thsoe chips im quite excited.

also, 390X YOU BETTER GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE ASAP

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I'm not denying the performance of a G3258 in single or dual threaded games....I understand thats it's an amazing choice for single and dual threaded games, but it becomes a terrible choice once you start playing games that use more than two cores (bf4 for example).

And that first link uses an ivy i3, not a Haswell i3; a Haswell i3 would perform even better. 

yup.

i want either more affordable i5s to come out (without dropping preformance, hell, make a gamer line if you have to, drop the integrated gpu and just push a 6 core i5 at 150$, its not that hard. really.)

, or for some more love on the athlon line to happen.

the athlon x4 760K and 860K are great chips for the price. 

-Jim Hensen

yup.

i want either more affordable i5s to come out (without dropping preformance, hell, make a gamer line if you have to, drop the integrated gpu and just push a 6 core i5 at 150$, its not that hard. really.)

, or for some more love on the athlon line to happen.

the athlon x4 760K and 860K are great chips for the price. 

The whole world is moving towards heterogeneous computing. Standalone CPUs are dead both for Intel and AMD after 2018 I guarantee it. Iris Pro 5200 has more compute power than the 4 CPU cores themselves have, by a ton more than what you'd gain by putting in 2 more CPU cores. Serial computing (which is what CPU cores are good at) is only ever going to get so fast. The future is parallel, and both major chip makers have accepted that and are building on it.

That requires a big paradigm shift in the programming world. If games used iGPU acceleration for physics and AI neural networks, you'd have some BADASS games right now, but to get that skill in the games industry means the scientific computing community practically has to find that level of skill beneath them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I don't really buy this. I don't even consider i3 to be a low end cpu, probably a mid tier one. This just shows that AMD needs to get their sht together in the driver department, because as far as i remember nvidia launched a driver few months ago to reduce the cpu overhead and stuff like that.

So to summ it up, it's not the CPU problem, it's the AMD drivers.

Or maybe you need to wake up and start considering I3's as the cheap low end CPU they're and are intended to be.

Not saying AMD don't have driver issues how ever because clearly they do but there's no arguing that I3's are low end cpu's.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Strange. I use an R9 280 and an i5 to game in 1080p - I get 60 FPS in new AAA titles, and well over 120 in MMOGs and older FPSers.  I feel like we need more information about the hardware being used in these tests.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Well I said it a lot; Mantle is only doing great against their own Directx but doing a lil bit better than Nvidia's DX. Their drivers cause tons of CPU overhead being the reason why theyre like at half of nvidia's performance because the CPU holded them back. The driver 337.50 adressed a large amount of overhead and after a year AMD still didn't respond rather than gimmicking Mantle all over the place.

Seeing a 50% difference between a 980 & 290x with a 5960x is far from what it should be.

Another one;

Both site need to re-test it with 14.11.x beta driver that have optimization for COD:AW imo, the Geforce driver was optimized for COD:AW but not the Catalyst driver.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |