[In-Progress / On Hold] iSwitched

ImBleu

a3b9593e2c.png

Enjoy the read, pictures and the amount of mistakes I've made. If you want a TL;DR, Switched from a Macbook Pro (non-Retina) & Playstation 3 to an Z97 build.

Prolouge (Mid 2013-Late 2013)

Been promising this build log for quite a while now and I decided I'd give it a start. So a bit of background knowledge about 1.5-2 years ago I started getting into the idea of getting a desktop as my friends that I played Minecraft with ( I know, l33t gaming ) started moving to Planetside 2. I had a Macbook Pro and a Playstation 3, So I wasn't going anywhere soon.

Where does one first look? Alienware. I checked out alienware, CyberPower PC, iBuyPower and other boutique builders after first considering to get a Dell WorkStation-class PC with a Sandy Bridge i7 and a GT610. Needless to say after getting yelled at I considered building my own as one of my friends told me it was 'like adult lego'. So I set off. Started finding shops and prices and had some plans and eventually decided to spend my pocket money and buy a case. My CM Silencio 352 case was nothing fancy but was never used, I went about 2 weeks later to the same shop to buy a Motherboard and came out with an MSI Z87-G45 coupled with a CM Ex2 725w PSU and an i5-4670k.

I was the happiest person ever. But the ATX motherboard didn't fit in the MATX Case. So I went back to try and exchange it but they wouldnt let me. About a month later I went and bought a Corsair 750D. Kinda weird since at the time Corsair's logo was the ugliest logo I could think of. I also bought a Corsair H100i and put it on my CPU and finally had it all planned out. I got home and it didn't work. Long story short I forgot to plug in the CPU power 8pin :P

Corsair RMA (Early 2014)

Then about 2 months into my build I noticed the LED died on my H100i and thought nothing of it, monitoring my temperatures I noticed my CPU running in the 90+ degree range and was really confused. I opened my case and saw that the h100i was very hot and there was liquid running down the side of my motherboard (which was later found out to be the Thermal paste). I was really pissed off as I had to then send my H100i to the USA and had to pay for it and I'd have to buy a new Motherboard (it totaled the PCI-E 16x) and a new CPU as it was still getting hot with an underclock to 2.5Ghz. 

Luckily when explaining all this to Corsair they offered to pay for everything to be shipped over. PSU, CPU, Motherboard and H100i. Unfortunately it was about this time that a lot of IRL stuff happened and I had no time at all to get around to it after the cancer diagnosis and later the death of my Father.

I got around to sending it all to Corsair in the USA from Hong Kong in late August. This was also about the same time I bought a Surface Pro 3 to replace my macbook pro which was approaching 3 years old. They replied 3 DAYS LATER (after waiting months for me) offering to replace my PSU with an Ax760, my Cooler with a H105 and refund me for my Motherboard and CPU (full sticker price).

I was estatic to say the least.

The Plan (Late 2014)

This then lead to me receiving my AX760 and H105 from corsair (they sent it in a shipping container, with just my 2 boxes..). I now wanted to continue my quest to my first PC V2. I planned to get a ROG Ranger and an i5-4690k w/ GTX970 and then decided that for a small increase I could get an ROG Hero + i7 4790k and had that planned. Eventually I ended up with an i7-5820k build that was only marginally more expensive than the i7-4790k build plan.

In the end, I settled on an i7-4790k, GTX 980 and a Asus Maximus VII Hero. 

The Parts list (Late 2014)

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6Ghz)

Asus Maximus VII Hero

Inno3D GTX 980

Corsair Force LS 128GB SSD

WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD

Kingson HyperX 8GB RAM

Corsair H105 Cooler

Corsair 750D Case

So from my hate of the Corsair logo, to my admiration and overall love for it was a pretty big change. 

Upgrade Path (Early 2015)

I plan on upgrading my Ram to 16GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro (Red) to more suit my build than current. I also plan to add more WD Drives and maybe a second Force LS Drive for even more steam games on an SSD. I'm also planning on a Corsair K70 RGB and a Corsair M65 RGB / Razer Deathadder to replace my current Membrane keyboard and less-than-stellar mouse. 

And for the biggest sin of all? This is plugged into a 1080p TV until I buy a better monitor. Possibly a second 980 if I see the need.

Picture Gallery

To be added soon, Issue with my Camera's SD Card

qFumuL3.png

I'd like to also take the chance to thank Raymond from Corsair, My original friends that convinced me to get into the PC world, Countless forum members for the help on my build plans and @LinusTech for his videos that I used to get reviews on everything, watching each video about a part I was considering multiple times. 

And a special shoutout to the people who, off the top of my head, have helped me a lot when it comes to my countless build plans. @Geekazoid , @XTankSlayerX and @Jerakl amount others. 

I'll update this space when I add to my build or do any modding. Feel free to comment on anything you think I should add as well as any grammatical errors I might have made.

What better way to celebrate my #1337'th post :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Reserved

at least someone had a good RMA experience...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No worries mate! I always can respect people who are thankful. It makes a heck of difference, IMO, because it makes you want to help that same person next time with any future help that they may need. So, thanks for saying thanks! :)

As far as errors go, near the top of your post there is a typo. You wrote "buid" instead of "build. ;):)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm on a list! :o

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

No worries mate! I always can respect people who are thankful. It makes a heck of difference, IMO, because it makes you want to help that same person next time with any future help that they may need. So, thanks for saying thanks! :)

As far as errors go, near the top of your post there is a typo. You wrote "buid" instead of "build. ;):)

There had be to be one somewhere :P

Was a typo. I'll remove you. (totally not sarcastic)

I am too! Isn't it amazing?! :P:D JK

There had be to be one somewhere :P

Was a typo. I'll remove you. (totally not sarcastic)

top kek

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

There had to be one somewhere :P.

Haha, damn straight! LOL

what a story; I liked it. Enjoy your rig :)

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]