"Why DSLR" convincing?

What would the 55 zoom look like?

It looks like a 55mm lens :P 

But ummm....somewhere between 50-75 (on a crop sensor) would be good for a portrait lens -- i.e. bad for landscapes and bad for wildlife/sports photography. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It looks like a 55mm lens :P

But ummm....somewhere between 50-75 (on a crop sensor) would be good for a portrait lens -- i.e. bad for landscapes and bad for wildlife/sports photography.

I can't find a cheap 35mm lens

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I can't find a cheap 35mm lens

/don't feel like looking through the past 5 pages to see where this was discussed, but what are you intending to photograph?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

/don't feel like looking through the past 5 pages to see where this was discussed, but what are you intending to photograph?

I want to take some nice macro shots and of course long shots. Also video for maybe a future YouTube

I really want the 35mm for bokeh for segments of video and even photos

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

What would the 55 zoom look like?

gimme a sec and i'll do it. @Flight1sim It's my neighbour's aerial thingy and I took the photos around like 20-25m away from it.

55mm:

rKMsP0j.jpg

5iS0EU5.jpg

70mm: 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

gimme a sec and i'll do it. @Flight1sim It's my neighbour's aerial thingy and I took the photos around like 20-25m away from it.

55mm:

70mm: 

Aw that might be pretty terrible for the kind of shots I want to do 

(macro/w bokeh)

(portraits w/ bokeh)

(videos close up with bokeh)

EDIT:  *shudder* I'll live with that zoom :P

2 new from $973.50 9 used from $305.00 1 refurbished from $439.79

Also, Wish me good luck, I'll talk with my dad later about the Camera :D

Honestly, I would buy from BH Photo. refurbished long before I buy off ebay. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827670-REF/Canon_5169B018AA_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html - $499 Camera + Kit Lens.

50MM lens - this will be zoom on a crop sensor. I would HIGHLY reccomend getting 35mm 1.8, or at least seeing if you can rent a few lenses before dropping money on them. 

55-250 etc - I personally bought the cheap nikon version of this... and meh. I hardly ever use it, and wish i wouldnt have spent the money, and bought a faster (f2.8) sigma instead. Its too dark in anything but broad daylight, and the quality isnt the best.

Filter - You don't need one. My brother and I have had our lenses for several years and never use filters. If you drop a lens....a scratched piece of glass is going to be the least of your concerns. 

I bought my 5200 Kit, + 55-200. I wish I had not bought the kit, and bought body only (Maybe even a D7200) + 35mm. And then a better zoom later (like a sigma - I am not rich enough for good nikkor glass....) Hindsight 20-20. I never use the zoom or kit lens, And by never, I mean, I have $250-300 in lens that I have taken 10 pictures with. Versus thousands with the 35mm. 

But this is just me. I am a social shooter - I love streets and people, carry my camera everywhere. I also have never used anything but full manual. So, it's all up to you and what you want to do. 

Have fun :)

For the Filters, I actually use the ND filter on my G12 a LOT, so I might pick up a $5 one.

As for the 55-250, im getting a 75-300 instead, I do Like taking pictures from my bedroom window to the city (I live on the mountains of the valley, so pictures are fantastic up here) so I might like it. The 55-250 has horrid IS, this one is a step up.

50mm, I have to deal with, the 35mm is VERY expensive.

I use zoom a lot because I can take a pic of the city, so I will get a zoom lens.

I won't be taking a lot of outside pics tho, as my area is kind of boring. 

For the B&H, I don't know about that, the Ebay Refurbished T3i is from canon and $50 cheaper, free shipping

Aw that might be pretty terrible for the kind of shots I want to do 

(macro/w bokeh)

(portraits w/ bokeh)

(videos close up with bokeh)

EDIT:  *shudder* I'll live with that zoom :P

2 new from $973.50 9 used from $305.00 1 refurbished from $439.79

Also, Wish me good luck, I'll talk with my dad later about the Camera :D

It can do 'macro', but not legit macro:

CM0rxJ9.jpg

for portraits you'll want to get the 50mm f1.8 but if you can, the 85mm f1.8: 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

For the Filters, I actually use the ND filter on my G12 a LOT, so I might pick up a $5 one.

As for the 55-250, im getting a 75-300 instead, I do Like taking pictures from my bedroom window to the city (I live on the mountains of the valley, so pictures are fantastic up here) so I might like it. The 55-250 has horrid IS, this one is a step up.

I use zoom a lot because I can take a pic of the city, so I will get a zoom lens.

For the B&H, I don't know about that, the Ebay Refurbished T3i is from canon and $50 cheaper, free shipping

That is a bummer! Nikon has both a 35mm and 50mm 1.8 that are very cheap for their crop sensors, too bad cannon doesn't. :( 

If that ebay seller is Cannon, then go for it. I just like the peace of mind knowing when I get a refurb and there is an issue, that I have a reputable company to back up the warranty. :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'm afraid I don't know much about Canon's lineup as I'm a Nikon shooter myself, but check out Sigma and Tamron, both make pretty decent lenses (some of which are actually better than their Nikon/Canon counterparts -- just be sure to look up a review on a lens -- Kenrockwell.com has some very good camera/lens reviews as does dpreview.com). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG

Btw, I just found a CANON EOS ELAN II with a 24-80mm AF Lens :D 

It uses the EF-S mount right?

It uses the EF-S mount right?

No

No

Ef?

Yes

So it's full frame?

Yes

oh yeah, it has that little red dot :P

So it will be like ~35-100mm instead of 28-80mm?

It will be exactly what is says it is. So 24-80.

I mean on a crop sensor it would be zoomed in more right?

oh yeah, it has that little red dot :P

So it will be like ~35-100mm instead of 28-80mm?

I mean on a crop sensor it would be zoomed in more right?

All lenses are measured in the same focal length. A crop sensor 35mm less has the EXACT same focal length as an FX lens at 35mm; the difference is that one can be used on an FX sensor without being cropped -- if you use a crop sensor lens on an fx sensor then you end using the fx sensor as if it were a crop sensor.

/A 35mm FX lens on an FX camera is 35mm, but is 56mm on a crop sensor. whereas a 35mm crop sensor lens is 56mm on both an FX and crop sensor since the fx sensor will be cropped down. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

All lenses are measured in the same focal length. A crop sensor 35mm les has the EXACT same focal length as an FX lens at 35mm; the difference is that one can be used on an FX sensor without being cropped -- if you use a crop sensor lens on an fx sensor then youend you using the fx sensor as if it were a crop sensor.

but it still means that when you use a full-frame Lens (FX?) on a crop sensor it will be "cropped" or look more zoomed in compared to the Full Frame Sensor at the same focal distance right?

Multiply by 1.6

Somehow you are variating the focal length a bit and you never write the full name of the lens thus nobody knows which lens do you exactly mean.

but it still means that when you use a full-frame Lens (FX?) on a crop sensor it will be "cropped" or look more zoomed in compared to the Full Frame Sensor at the same focal distance right?

/A 35mm FX lens on an FX camera is 35mm, but is 56mm on a crop sensor. whereas a 35mm crop sensor lens is 56mm on both an FX and crop sensor since the fx sensor will be cropped down. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Multiply by 1.6

Somehow you are variating the focal length a bit and you never write the full name of the lens thus nobody knows which lens do you exactly mean.

it's the  Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 USM lens (focus is actually really quiet for a lens made in 1995 :D)

im guessing no IS though, no switch for it and also I believe IS was created later

yeh, it's an Ultrasonic lens so it's not that great (really cheap quality)