"Why DSLR" convincing?

Ok, so I have the Canon G12, a pretty advanced Point-And-Shoot that can take pictures. (not good pictures, but meh)

It excels in close up shots, portraits, and macros, but Suffers severly in anything else. Taking photos outside results in HORRIBLE sharpness (if you zoom in just a bit on the photo it looks like minecraft:P) and video is 720p 30FPS only, pretty low end at this point.

The fact that I get more pleasing images on the iphone 5 annoys me quite a bit (not necessarily BETTER technically, just looks more pleasing)

I have my eyes on the Canon T3i, (or 650D) and the T5 (1200D) and maybe even the SL1 (100D)

But my only roadblock from actually getting one, is my dad..

He still thinks that getting a DSLR is like in the olden days (like 10 years ago) and thinks DSLR's are for SUPER experienced photographers, while really now, DSLR's have come to the point where they have models designed for beginner photographers. He thinks that because the images look bad on the G12, I will not use the DSLR to the full potential (thinks I dont know how to use the features properly :P, but I do.) 

Now I need some good convincing points for why we need a good DSLR rather than use our horrid G12 for the next 10 years :P

Thanks

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

so why do you actually need one? 

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

He still thinks that getting a DSLR is like in the olden days (like 10 years ago) and thinks DSLR's are for SUPER experienced photographers, while really now, DSLR's have come to the point where they have models designed for beginner photographers. He thinks that because the images look bad on the G12, I will not use the DSLR to the full potential (thinks I dont know how to use the features properly :P, but I do.) 

Prove him wrong.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I went from a G9 to D7000 myself, and holy crap...the difference is ridiculous; I'm by no means a professional photographer, but I love taking pictures and not only have I become much better at it, it's also a lot more fun as it's MUCH easier to play around with the settings on the fly (especially since I have a dedicated wheel for shutter speed and one for aperture, and with two auxiliary buttons I get on-the-fly control of ISO/white balance.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

so why do you actually need one? 

Pretty much the same reason why @djdwosk97 did, except with bragging rights as well ;P 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Show him the automatic and manual mods, take him to a local store and show him. I started with the t3i (600D) and just got a 70D.

Get it and dont look back.

I went from a G9 to D7000 myself, and holy crap...the difference is ridiculous; I'm by no means a professional photographer, but I love taking pictures and not only have I become much better at it, it's also a lot more fun as it's MUCH easier to play around with the settings on the fly (especially since I have a dedicated wheel for shutter speed and one for aperture, and with two auxiliary buttons I get on-the-fly control of ISO/white balance.

High 5

I also have a D7000

I like the dual SD card slots.

Prove him wrong.

My relative recently got a D5700 (nikon) and they'll bring it over one day which I will use to convince my dad that the DSLR is SO MUCH betar

Well let me just start by saying a better camera won't make you a better photographer.

Don't get the t5, it's the lowest end up-to-date Canon DSLR (it's not bad, there's just better options). Get a t5i if you like doing video as well (and you can afford it) if you can't, a t3i will do just fine.

Also, when you step into the DSLR world, you're likely going to spend much more on lenses than on the body (assuming you get into photography). 

You need (ok you don't need, but they help) a macro lens, telephoto lens, 35/50 1.8 for low light and super short DoF, super wide angle lens, etc. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Well let me just start by saying a better camera won't make you a better photographer.

Don't get the t5, it's the lowest end up-to-date Canon DSLR (it's not bad, there's just better options). Get a t5i if you like doing video as well (and you can afford it) if you can't, a t3i will do just fine.

Also, when you step into the DSLR world, you're likely going to spend much more on lenses than on the body (assuming you get into photography). 

You need (ok you don't need, but they help) a macro lens, telephoto lens, 35/50 1.8 for low light and super short DoF, super wide angle lens, etc. 

Im going to probably get the Kit lens at first, then get one of those value bundles with Filters, Lens Hoods, Lenses, and cleaners etc.

The T5 is dirt cheap on a trusted seller on ebay, but Im probably going with the T3i or SL1

IM not doing it to instantly take better picutres, I want to be able to fiddle with settings and make the photos I take "mine"

What is about a Panasonic G5 or G6

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

What is about a Panasonic G5 or G6

the G5 with kit lens is really expensive for me, Im trying to stay under the $500 USD budget for Body+Kit lens

the G5 with kit lens is really expensive for me, Im trying to stay under the $500 USD budget for Body+Kit lens

D3300

Probably gonna be more expensive at Costco but it includes more things like SD card, lenses, camera bag, etc

Ok, so I have the Canon G12, a pretty advanced Point-And-Shoot that can take pictures. (not good pictures, but meh)

It excels in close up shots, portraits, and macros, but Suffers severly in anything else. Taking photos outside results in HORRIBLE sharpness (if you zoom in just a bit on the photo it looks like minecraft:P) and video is 720p 30FPS only, pretty low end at this point.

The fact that I get more pleasing images on the iphone 5 annoys me quite a bit (not necessarily BETTER technically, just looks more pleasing)

I have my eyes on the Canon T3i, (or 650D) and the T5 (1200D) and maybe even the SL1 (100D)

But my only roadblock from actually getting one, is my dad..

Now I need some good convincing points for why we need a good DSLR rather than use our horrid G12 for the next 10 years :P

Thanks

Looks more pleasing on screen, or on the computer/printed out? You have to remember the LCD on the Canon is shit. It's also quite old, so the processing won't be the best.

I'd probably go T3i or Nikon equivilant. Don't mess around with the really low end stuff.

You could always show your dad the sensor size difference between the two. It makes a difference, unlike film cameras (iirc) where it has less of an impact.

Haha don't scare him! There's no real need for most of those lenses. I have a friend who does photoshoots etc pretty frequently and he has...one lens.

A really nice, all around lens is more than enough for most photographers for a good deal of the time, and definitely for the first year or two of learning.

Check out the Nikon's as well, they can be had around the same price and have a really nice build.

Though, if you do get into it, it's best to pick a side early on.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha don't scare him! There's no real need for most of those lenses. I have a friend who does photoshoots etc pretty frequently and he has...one lens.

A really nice, all around lens is more than enough for most photographers for a good deal of the time, and definitely for the first year or two of learning.

Yea maybe I was over-exaggerating a bit, but lenses are addicting xD

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Looks more pleasing on screen, or on the computer/printed out? You have to remember the LCD on the Canon is shit. It's also quite old, so the processing won't be the best.

I'd probably go T3i or Nikon equivilant. Don't mess around with the really low end stuff.

You could always show your dad the sensor size difference between the two. It makes a difference, unlike film cameras (iirc) where it has less of an impact.

Check out the Nikon's as well, they can be had around the same price and have a really nice build.

Though, if you do get into it, it's best to pick a side early on.

Looks like poo on the computer after taking off SSD :P

And my dad said taht those liittle numbers won't make an actual difference, and showed me pics online taken by the G12, of course they were all Macro shots ;P

I dunno why, But I like Canon over anything else

Yea maybe I was over-exaggerating a bit, but lenses are addicting xD

True but I'd take a nice piece of L glass over a bunch of $350 lenses any day ;)

Looks like poo on the computer after taking off SSD :P

And my dad said taht those liittle numbers won't make an actual difference, and showed me pics online taken by the G12, of course they were all Macro shots ;P

I dunno why, But I like Canon over anything else

Yeah, Canon makes some nice stuff. The kit lens is good enough for quite a while, don't even worry about upgrading.

I'd look at the quality of the stuff you get in the kits though, a lot of the time it's really, really cheap garbage and you're better off spending the extra $20 and sourcing quality items yourself.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

True but I'd take a nice piece of L glass over a bunch of $350 lenses any day ;)

Agreed, my 70-200 is way sharper and has much better build quality than all of my other lenses. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Agreed, my 70-200 is way sharper and has much better build quality than all of my other lenses. 

Yeah, Canon makes some nice stuff. The kit lens is good enough for quite a while, don't even worry about upgrading.

I'd look at the quality of the stuff you get in the kits though, a lot of the time it's really, really cheap garbage and you're better off spending the extra $20 and sourcing quality items yourself.

hows this kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-600D-Body-3-Lens-Kit-18-55mm-IS-24GB-DSLR-Top-Value-Kit-/171452324086?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27eb5ad8f6

Meh, it's basically just a bunch of cheap junk in that kit. You can get a used t3i for $350 and buy the rest of the stuff you need for ~$75-100. The stuff in that kit is probably like $35-50 total. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Meh, it's basically just a bunch of cheap junk in that kit. You can get a used t3i for $350 and buy the rest of the stuff you need for ~$75-100. The stuff in that kit is probably like $35-50 total. 

can you assist me on a good config of DSLR+Lens? Also filters if you can? :D

@Fate also, isnt 2 of those lenses and all the other stuff Canon brand? (like high quality?)

The telephoto and wide angle seem to be the only ones that aren't canon

And another thing, is it true that the T3i is just a T2i with the swiveling screen?

can you assist me on a good config of DSLR+Lens? Also filters if you can? :D

Just start out with the kit lens and maybe a 35/50mm 1.8 lens. The 35mm is a bit more wide angle but the 50mm is better for portraits (though still not the best) http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-Standard-AutoFocus-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417650934&sr=8-3&keywords=50+1.8. As for the filters it really depends on what you're going to be doing, I personally don't use any (most of the time).

One thing that is a must is a nice sturdy tripod. I can't personally recommend one though because I really don't know which one would be good on a tight budget. 

The lens on the top-right (and on the camera) of that ebay ad is the kit lens, I'm not sure about the other two but they're probably cheap, unsharp and have a lot of chromatic aberration.

"And another thing, is it true that the T3i is just a T2i with the swiveling screen?" 

I think so, but the t4i has better video & a touch screen which is useful imo. 

The t5i is pretty much the same as a t4i.

If you're not going to be doing video go with the t2i/t3i (though the video on those two is just fine). 

Oldest to newest it goes t2i>t3i>t4i>t5i

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Just start out with the kit lens and maybe a 35/50mm 1.8 lens. The 35mm is a bit more wide angle but the 50mm is better for portraits (though still not the best) http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-Standard-AutoFocus-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417650934&sr=8-3&keywords=50+1.8. As for the filters it really depends on what you're going to be doing, I personally don't use any (most of the time).

One thing that is a must is a nice sturdy tripod. I can't personally recommend one though because I really don't know which one would be good on a tight budget. 

The lens on the top-right (and on the camera) of that ebay ad is the kit lens, I'm not sure about the other two but they're probably cheap, unsharp and have a lot of chromatic aberration.

"And another thing, is it true that the T3i is just a T2i with the swiveling screen?" 

I think so, but the t4i has better video & a touch screen which is useful imo. 

The t5i is pretty much the same as a t4i.

If you're not going to be doing video go with the t2i/t3i (though the video on those two is just fine). 

Oldest to newest it goes t2i>t3i>t4i>t5i

So for that lens (please excuse my DSLR Noobiness)  can I mount other kit lenses to that lens? 

Are those telephoto and Macro lenses using a filter-type mount or something?

And finally, Does a normal Kit lens have Autofocus?