Spotify vs iTunes

Michael McAllister

Currently using a Spotify trial.  Anyone here use it?  Does moving over to a subscription service make more sense now?  I already have a pretty big music collection on my computer, but à la carte is definitely much more expensive.  Thoughts?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Currently using a Spotify trial.  Anyone here use it?  Does moving over to a subscription service make more sense now?  I already have a pretty big music collection on my computer, but à la carte is definitely much more expensive.  Thoughts?

I have had it for a year now i think.

i use it on multiple platforms so for me yes it does. and i don't have to deal with commercials. +1

Price is subjective (i have premium) and id like it if it was a tad cheaper but hey! it works!

Have you tried SoundCloud? its also an option and it works on Phones and Tablets a well, but it eats more Data.

as for iTunes...i never Liked it and that one time i had to use it for someone else it ended up Factory resetting the Iphone 4....

so uh yeah No...I rather buy CD`s

I use Sound Cloud mainly for podcasts.  I didn't even know that mainstream musicians even use it.

I use Sound Cloud mainly for podcasts.  I didn't even know that mainstream musicians even use it.

Ah yeah i don't think they do.....it´s more for indie musicians like MonsterCat (i think he is indie)

I havent really bothered exploring that far, i just listen to whatever i dont find on spotify.

Edit: ok Monstercat is available on Spotify as well so....i dunno :P

I use Spotify free, with EZBlocker.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

We don't support Addblocks around here...... please take it down.

Do behave.

Most people here use Adblock, but whitelist the LTT site. As for Spotify, bollocks to 'em.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If you have a student email address, Spotify offers 50% off their plans, I'm only paying $5 per month for the premium service. 

Aside from that, since the library is on your computer, why not Google Play?  Spotify has a nice assortment of music, but I can tell you from experience it (as well as many other services) is also missing a lot of things.  I miss my live and acoustic sets of songs. 

If you're a student, Spotify offers 50% off their plans, I'm only paying $5 per month for the premium service. 

Aside from that, since the library is on your computer, why not Google Play?  Spotify has a nice assortment of music, but I can tell you from experience it (as well as many other services) is also missing a lot of things.  I miss my live and acoustic sets of songs. 

I have about 4,000 3,000 or so songs on my computer.  Is Google Play pretty similar to Pandora or is it closer to Spotify?  How big is the Google Play library?

I have about 4,000 3,000 or so songs on my computer.  Is Google Play pretty similar to Pandora or is it closer to Spotify?  How big is the Google Play library?

google play library is huge! 

its kinda like spotify but you can download the songs 

It lets you start a playlist from on song and plays songs like it 

That's it?  You're good Let's just say i have that many Artists on my Google Play library

It's more of an Itunes interface

Edit: ok Monstercat is available on Spotify as well so....i dunno :P

Dude, Beastmilk are on Spotify. They had around 500 likes on Facebook when I started listening to them 12 months ago. They're a little bigger now, but, their first album is on Spotify, and they still aren't that big. Spotify's availability is good

How's the quality? Is GPM 320 kbps MP3, AAC, or Vogg Orbis?

Quality depends. 96kbps on Mobile, 160kbps on desktop or 320kbps for Premium subscribers

I've been subscribed to Spotify for a little over a year now. Seriously, for the $10 a month I don't even notice missing from my bank account, it's totally worth it. It's not even worth pirating music when it's that cheap. Not to mention it can also recommend music. I've found a couple of nifty bands like this through Spotify

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I have about 4,000 3,000 or so songs on my computer.  

And after cutting down my music collection, to just over 35,000 songs i thought my collection was small...

Dude, Beastmilk are on Spotify. They had around 500 likes on Facebook when I started listening to them 12 months ago. They're a little bigger now, but, their first album is on Spotify, and they still aren't that big. Spotify's availability is good

Quality depends. 96kbps on Mobile, 160kbps on desktop or 320kbps for Premium subscribers

I've been subscribed to Spotify for a little over a year now. Seriously, for the $10 a month I don't even notice missing from my bank account, it's totally worth it. It's not even worth pirating music when it's that cheap. Not to mention it can also recommend music. I've found a couple of nifty bands like this through Spotify

Never heard of them, also FYI i only heard maybe 3-4 songs from Monstercat...Dubstep is not much cup of tea.

But yeah some "indie" bands are on Spotify, Like Star Bomb. So i guess its down to the Music people if they feel like there stuff should be there or not.

Also you can change the quality on the download/stream on mobile in the settings, its "medium" by default so it wont consume your Storage/Data but than again even at high quality it consumes less then SoundCloud, according to my Data usage in 1 week.

And to add, i think the library on Google Play is smaller then spotify, i dont remember where i read it but yeah, its smaller.

How much smaller? dont remember, maybe 1/4 

Neither. Youtube to mp3.

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Spotify is great if you listen to a lot of varied music. I'd think it wouldn't be great if your playlist is only a few thousand songs.

Most people here use Adblock, but whitelist the LTT site. As for Spotify, bollocks to 'em.

I do use adblock for all my internet browsing, including LTT and youtube, but blocking ads on something that is otherwise a paid service like Spotify does seem a bit douchy.

Spotify is great if you listen to a lot of varied music. I'd think it wouldn't be great if your playlist is only a few thousand songs.

I do use adblock for all my internet browsing, including LTT and youtube, but blocking ads on something that is otherwise a paid service like Spotify does seem a bit douchy.

tumblr_inline_n7zgy3NCPg1sb61vt.gif

Right now I prefer spotify. It's just nice to have all my songs sync between all my various devices. It also has a majority of the songs I listen to, and if it doens't you can just add them to your library. However, in the future YouTube Music Key may be the way to go due to the huge library of music on YouTube (assuming most of it will work with Music Key).

I have a question regarding the offline mode.  If I create a playlist, and I lose my Internet connection, will the playlist automatically fall back to offline mode?  If not, is there any workaround for this?  Do you just put all of your playlists in offline mode even when an Internet connection is present?

I have a question regarding the offline mode.  If I create a playlist, and I lose my Internet connection, will the playlist automatically fall back to offline mode?  If not, is there any workaround for this?  Do you just put all of your playlists in offline mode even when an Internet connection is present?

Traditionally, if you're listening to music via Playlist and lost connection, the music will stop.  It won't stop dead, it'll reach the end of the buffered portion of the song and stop, similar as to watching a YouTube video, then losing connection in the process. The entire app will go into Offline Mode until connection is re-established.  You can still view playlists, but obviously you cannot play the music or search for new music. This will continue until connection is re-established.

From what I can tell, the app buffers one full song at a time.

IF you download your playlist, you no longer need an internet connection to listen BUT the app must sync once every 30 days or it will not play the playlist. 

You can select which playlists to download and which to only stream.  That being said, if you have the same song on 2 playlists, one playlist downloaded and the other not, the song will be available offline on both playlists. 

The playlist is 'downloaded' when offline mode is enabled in the playlist?  Do I have to do this for each individual playlist, or is there a setting to make all playlists available offline?

The playlist is 'downloaded' when offline mode is enabled in the playlist? Do I have to do this for each individual playlist, or is there a setting to make all playlists available offline?

Both are an option, there is an option to download your entire playlist to your device/pc.