ol' Dotcom is now free

Fulgrim

Option 1 and 2 are basically "some people use it for illegal things so therefore it should be shut down". That's stupid.

Do you think Youtube should be shut down as well because people upload a lot of copyrighted content to it? Do you think Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive should be shut down because people upload copyrighted content to it?

We have safe harbor laws for a reason, and they protect people like Linus, Google, Microsoft as well as Kim Dotcom. Just look at my golf analogy again. Should all the legit users and the owner of the golf club be punished because someone decided to store weed in one of the lockers? Of course not. The only logical thing would be to go after the one who actually put the weed in the locker to begin with.

As for point 3, what kind of anti-piracy system would you suggest? There was already a report feature and the content creators themselves used it a lot (and to great success).

I didn't mean it was subjective because of "is piracy really bad?". I meant your statement was subjective because there is no objective measurement of "trying to fight piracy enough". Some might say the report button was enough and some might say it wasn't enough.

That's what I meant by "that's subjective".

I'm not saying it should be shut down, I'm saying it is a decision he could have made (to get him out of the mess) no skin off his teeth

The system would be his to implement, so he would have to decide how far it went. However, it was made transparent in one of the first court cases that the measures in place were not good enough.

Yes, it is indeed subjective, and I totally get that, I agree with you there.

Compatible with Windows 95

So long story short, the legal system would only find Kim innocent, or deliver a verdict one way or another, once Kim was out of money and they've milked him dry?

Nothing new here, people are full O'$h!7 and still suck.

C'mon guys, he did nothing wrong according to the law and as such he shouldn't have been charged let  alone had his assets ceased,  however, he knew his service was being used for illegal activity and made only a superficial effort to stop it.  What he did was unethical, not illegal, but certainly unethical.

The golf course analogy doesn't work because in that analogy the golf course owners didn't know the locker was being used for illegal activity,  if they did then they are guilty too. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.