Suitable air cooler for 4.0Ghz overclock?

Go to solution Solved by Excon,

I see. Yeah that's what i think i might have to do. I might look around and see if there are any light mods I can do like file the rear fans screw holes upwards a bit allowing me to push the rad all the way to the top, but the L9i just sounds convenient lol

And also isn't the h60 the same length and width as the h80i with thickness being the only difference? Atleast that's what Corsair's website told me.

That is correct, Im not to family with the SG09 so I just spent a minute looking at a bunch of them for clearance with something like a H60 and I dont see any issues.

Hey guys!

So I'm currently building my brother a microatx PC which will mostly be used for gaming and Solidworks/Matlab simulations for college. However I was stuck when it came to deciding on a cooler since we travel internationally when we go home (being international students) and tend to take our pcs with us. I didn't want to use a tower cooler like the Noctua's or be quiet!'s since i don't want the cooler's weight to physically stress the motherboard since airport staff don't really take the fragile stickers too seriously...

I got around it with my pc by using a corsair h100i, so only the pump stays attached. I remove my GPU whenever flying.

So that leaves me with either a 120mm AIO liquid cooler or a low profile cooler. I could use an h80i, but since I'm using a SIlverstone SG09 case, I've heard some folks having GPU clearance issues resulting in moving the GPU to a lower PCI slot. My other option was to use Noctua's NH-L9i.

I most likely will only overclock to 4.0Ghz at most, since any additional juice isn't really needed, I was wondering if I should just go with the NH-L9i. Unless you have any info of someone successfully using a 120mm AIO liquid cooler in the SG09/SG10.

Also if you have time, I was wondering if you have any good recommendations for a PSU that is compatible with the SG09, since the internal cable is rotated 180 degrees to the PSU's socket, which will result in a lot of twisting of the cable.

Refer this forum link towards the bottom: http://www.overclock.net/t/1327623/build-log-silverstone-sg09-micro-atx-sff-powerhouse

Here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colflame/saved/VhdMnQ

Thanks for an advice and help! And hope you have a great Thanksgiving Day! 

I dont have anything to input for the PSU but the NH-L9i seems like your best option for a cooler. An H60 seems like it would fit without issue. If you put a light tower cooler like a 212 evo I wouldnt worry about extra stresses since its fairly igyht

I dont have anything to input for the PSU but the NH-L9i seems like your best option for a cooler. An H60 seems like it would fit without issue. If you put a light tower cooler like a 212 evo I wouldnt worry about extra stresses since its fairly igyht

I see. Yeah that's what i think i might have to do. I might look around and see if there are any light mods I can do like file the rear fans screw holes upwards a bit allowing me to push the rad all the way to the top, but the L9i just sounds convenient lol

And also isn't the h60 the same length and width as the h80i with thickness being the only difference? Atleast that's what Corsair's website told me.

That is correct, Im not to family with the SG09 so I just spent a minute looking at a bunch of them for clearance with something like a H60 and I dont see any issues.

Awesome! I think I'll go with the h60 just because it'll cool better than the L9i! Thanks for your help!