(guide) How to remove a CPU from the socket!

HermanT

Pulled the CPU out of the socket, like a BAWS!

starring:

fx 8350

stock cooler

PS I know the pic is like shit, dying camera...

post-105239-0-04587100-1416975060_thumb.

post-105239-0-30462900-1416975068_thumb.

post-105239-0-03196500-1416975315.png

Wait you actually removed your cpu with the heatsink on and the socket level down? Yeah have good luck trying to put it back and make it work or something. 

Wait you actually removed your cpu with the heatsink on and the socket level down? Yeah have good luck trying to put it back and make it work or something. 

funny thing actualy :D but no pins were damaged, it works

It's happened to me before, and it still worked, no damage. It seems that the only thing holding the CPU down is friction. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Oh god, I've had this happen before. Not a single bent pin, amazingly.

It's happened to me before, and it still worked, no damage. It seems that the only thing holding the CPU down is friction. 

Still, be careful.

its crazy, there was such a vacuum suction... turns out the stock cooler was cooler master, dont like them ...

Ant this is why you dont use the AMD stock cooler, everyone.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ant this is why you dont use the AMD stock cooler, everyone.

this was such a lame thing to happen.. I never used it once... I had another cooler from the day of the build... and now I was swapping to a new cooler, and though I'd benchmark the darn thing... after an hour of torturing, the damn thing awnsers to me by trying to murder my core...

this was such a lame thing to happen.. I never used it once... I had another cooler from the day of the build... and now I was swapping to a new cooler, and though I'd benchmark the darn thing... after an hour of torturing, the damn thing awnsers to me by trying to murder my core...

lol at least it didnt get damaged :D

intel CPU retention = much better/safer method in every possible way.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you're supposed to heat up the paste...

One one of the old computers I had laying around that happened, so I ended up popping the CPU off with a flat head screwdriver :P

Didn't end up harming it at all :D

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've destroyed 20 Intel P4 PGA 478 CPUs by this. IDK why AMD CPUs fare better.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D