Windows 8.1 Bluescreens, crashes, and Explore.exe freezing

Poetart
Go to solution Solved by Poetart,

Ok, apologies for posting so late. I have not had time to get on my PC in a while (Work has been crazy) BSOD have stopped in games but the Drivers seem to be crashing when not in use. What I mean by that is that when I come back to it after a while, It gives me a warning that the driver has crashed and it has been recovered.

17mins of stress test and no issues. I will have to actually try a game tomorrow as I work early, but so far so good.

Now this is just a question from someone completely new to SLI but is there a way to set the bottom card to the primary card or does that even matter?

No, there is no way to set the primary card unfortunately. Keep on running the benchmark and observing temps. Hopefully all goes well.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

BSOD just happened on a test. Ill post the dump here in a min.

Same error string, but this time it was caused by ntoskrnl.exe.

Do you have any of your hardware overclocked? This usually indicates a memory issue, or an  issue with voltage levels on the CPU.

If it BSoD's doing a GPU stress test, does it BSoD with a CPU stress test? I'd give that a shot and pay attention to the temps that come out. I understand you've done a memory test as well, but did you do a full mem test with no errors?

I ran the windows extended one. i can try that again and I will also try a CPU stress test

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by ntoskrnl.exe

At this point, it could still be many things. Obviously there's an issue with a driver when your system is under load, but I'm not sure at this point which one. There also could be an issue with voltage settings on your RAM or CPU, I would double check that your CPU isn't overclocked, and your RAM is at it's default speed and voltage. You might even need to switch from "Auto" to manual, and set the voltage that way.

Also, temperature could be causing this. How are your temps?

Just because I want to cover all bases, run this as well http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by ntoskrnl.exe

At this point, it could still be many things. Obviously there's an issue with a driver when your system is under load, but I'm not sure at this point which one. There also could be an issue with voltage settings on your RAM or CPU, I would double check that your CPU isn't overclocked, and your RAM is at it's default speed and voltage. You might even need to switch from "Auto" to manual, and set the voltage that way.

Also, temperature could be causing this. How are your temps?

Just because I want to cover all bases, run this as well http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Would highly advise against combofix without help from Microsoft Community MVP or similar. 

OP, can you please run a memory test for at least 12 hours using Memtest86+. The instructions on how to do so can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

It seems as if there is system stability issues, but it is going to be hard to diagnose without getting a general idea on what to narrow it down to.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I will run memtest tonight. I am also going to reflash the mobo and set to default. we will see how that goes.

Would highly advise against combofix without help from Microsoft Community MVP or similar. 

OP, can you please run a memory test for at least 12 hours using Memtest86+. The instructions on how to do so can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

It seems as if there is system stability issues, but it is going to be hard to diagnose without getting a general idea on what to narrow it down to.

I use combofix daily. As long as the current antivirus on your system is disabled, I never get an issue.

I use combofix daily. As long as the current antivirus on your system is disabled, I never get an issue.

You shouldn't need to run combofix daily, unless you are doing it for other people.

Combofix makes registry changes that can break programs that have been installed. Not a fan of it personally. I had to use it once for a friend's laptop that got his Windows install messed up, but didn't have any viable backups of his programs or documents.

Combofix also resets your user account data, so you basically lose most things under %appdata%. 

Combofix is only useful as a last ditch software effort, but in the OP's case, I suspect there is something wrong on a hardware level, due to the nature of the BSODs he has been getting.

You shouldn't need to run combofix daily, unless you are doing it for other people.

Combofix makes registry changes that can break programs that have been installed. Not a fan of it personally. I had to use it once for a friend's laptop that got his Windows install messed up, but didn't have any viable backups of his programs or documents.

Combofix also resets your user account data, so you basically lose most things under %appdata%. 

Combofix is only useful as a last ditch software effort, but in the OP's case, I suspect there is something wrong on a hardware level, due to the nature of the BSODs he has been getting.

Honestly, I hope it is the RAM. If it is a card then I can return one and just use the other. If it is the RAM the RMA will take FOREVER as the company is korean.

But that did make me think of something, I will try doing a long stress test on each card. An hour'ish each to see if that is the issue after I do the mem test.

annnnd, I just want to ask this, What are you two's experience with PC's? You guys have given some good advice and I just wanted to ask.

annnnd, I just want to ask this, What are you two's experience with PC's? You guys have given some good advice and I just wanted to ask.

My experience is mostly involved being a power user, but in terms of troubleshooting, there are other forums where Microsoft Community MVPs hang out. I help with BSOD diagnosis on two other forums.

Look up Sysnative and OSR Online when you get a chance.

Other than that, I'm nothing special, other than getting a minor in Computer Science with my Mechanical Engineering major. I just take the time to research and learn new things everyday. As a matter of fact, I only started helping people with BSODs after I got one a few years back, and that was honestly my first BSOD in Windows 7, since using Windows XP.

On 11/26/2014 at 9:27 PM, ionbasa said:

My experience is mostly involved being a power user, but in terms of troubleshooting, there are other forums where Microsoft Community MVPs hang out. I help with BSOD diagnosis on two other forums.

Look up Sysnative and OSR Online when you get a chance.

Other than that, I'm nothing special, other than getting a minor in Computer Science with my Mechanical Engineering major. I just take the time to research and learn new things everyday. As a matter of fact, I only started helping people with BSODs after I got one a few years back, and that was honestly my first BSOD in Windows 7, since using Windows XP.

That's always good to hear. I work for a. Only issue is that usually in a business situation, You just reimage the device or ask for a replacement from the manufacture. Next\Same day is one of the greatest things on the planet.  

I will be moving on to testing the Video cards. Strange thing is I played Dragon Age for a while last night with no blue screen. Went to do a stability test and poof blue screen. Might have just been lucky.

I will be moving on to testing the Video cards. Strange thing is I played Dragon Age for a while last night with no blue screen. Went to do a stability test and poof blue screen. Might have just been lucky.

A Game isn't going to stress your PC anywhere near as much as a stress test. That difference between the two is clearly the difference between ok, and BSOD.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

A Game isn't going to stress your PC anywhere near as much as a stress test. That difference between the two is clearly the difference between ok, and BSOD.

Previous to just last night, It BSOD on games. I will have to do a bit more testing to see if that has changed.

Previous to just last night, It BSOD on games. I will have to do a bit more testing to see if that has changed.

Ok, try stress testing one GPU at a time. It could be one of the GPUs is faulty.

I don't nessisarily use it daily, but I do use it quite often to remove virus infections that malwarebytes or adwcleaner can't find. I haven't seen it ever reset user account data, and I've only had an issue a few years ago where it prevented some software from starting, but haven't had any issues since then.

My suspicion is that there may be some sort of infection on OP's PC, which can cause system stability issues. I am too aiming more towards a hardware issue (Most likely the GPU) but covering the basics is a good way to start, rather than jumping to a hardware failure result. I understand that he's reinstalled windows a few times to fix this issue, but sometimes people have specific pieces of software they like to reinstall, and one of them might have been malicious.

I've been a network technician for about 3 years, working on becoming an engineer or possibly getting into network security.

The RAM check is a good sign. That narrows it down big time. I'm starting to aim towards one of the cards being at fault.

Just for clarification, is your CPU at the stock speed as well as your graphics card(s)? These errors sometimes indicate a power draw issue, which on beast gaming machines, is usually caused by a bad overclock job.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, apologies for posting so late. I have not had time to get on my PC in a while (Work has been crazy) BSOD have stopped in games but the Drivers seem to be crashing when not in use. What I mean by that is that when I come back to it after a while, It gives me a warning that the driver has crashed and it has been recovered.