Should I charge a laptop right out of the box fully to 100% before use?

tikonux

I'm planning to get a gaming laptop for Black Friday. I'm just really worried about getting the best out of the battery life and I plan to take care of this laptop real good as soon as I start using it. Is it recommended to charge a laptop right after taking it out of the box to 100% before turning it on? And also is it best to do the first charge from the electric wall outlet just itself or is just a expansion outlet fine?

This is the laptop I'm planning to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232202

I'm planning to get a gaming laptop for Black Friday. I'm just really worried about getting the best out of the battery life and I plan to take care of this laptop real good as soon as I start using it. Is it recommended to charge a laptop right after taking it out of the box to 100% before turning it on? And also is it best to do the first charge from the electric wall outlet just itself or is just a expansion outlet fine?

No, use up all of the charge it comes with out of the box, then do a 100% charge, so the first charge is a full cycle. It doesn't really matter though, either way it will have a VERY small effect on the life of your battery. Maybe 1-2 days longer after 6 years.

"Rawr XD"

It doesn't matter with Li-Ion batteries. It is recommended to do a full charge/discharge cycle at the first use, but that's by no means necessary. 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

lithium-ion battery are efficient and they don't need special treatment in order to conserver more energy in fact they don't lose they storage capacity over time or if you charge them randomly

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Discharging and then recharging basically calibrates the sensor for more accurate charge display.

You should watch this you will find it helpful 

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Thanks for the quick response guys! So it really doesn't matter what I do with it for first use? I can just use it straight out of the box without charging it and use it until it drains forcing shutdown on the laptop, and then just charging it full while off? Also, I just watched that video. Is it bad to keep the plug plugged for long when the battery is fully charged? Is it bad to keep it plugged in, fully charged while using the laptop?

Thanks for the quick response guys! So it really doesn't matter what I do with it for first use? I can just use it straight out of the box without charging it and use it until it drains forcing shutdown on the laptop, and then just charging it full while off? Also, I just watched that video. Is it bad to keep the plug plugged for long when the battery is fully charged? Is it bad to keep it plugged in, fully charged while using the laptop?

Yeah if you really want to be careful then use it on the charge you get out of the box until at least the 10% warning pops up in Windows, then charge it up to full without touching it (on or off). But again, this isn't really needed, it will make a very small impact on the longevity of the battery.

What Linus talked about is more important. It's perfectly fine to keep it plugged in and fully charged while you use the laptop, but not for a ridiculously long time. A couple days is perfectly fine and will not do any harm at all, but after a week or two of being used daily while constantly plugged in I would unplug it and drain the battery before plugging it in again. Just so the batteries have some charge cycles to them. There is nothing wrong with leaving it plugged in and using it while full, as long as you don't do it for months at a time without unplugging it or removing the battery.

"Rawr XD"