Lighting for New PC - LED Strips or Cold Cathodes

Above7heInfluence

So I'm getting lightning for my new PC soon and am trying to decide on how I should do it, like if I should get UV Stripping to light up my UV tubing and then get a blue led strip for more lightning or just get UV stripping. Also, should I get LED stripping or cold cathodes? My case Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra with a clear window modded into it in place of the black mesh that it comes stock with. Thanks! 

i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz | AMD 7970 @ 1150/1823 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 16GB G.Skill 2133mhz | 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0 & 250GB Samsung Evo SSD | Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra with Side Window | XSPC RX360 Watercooling Kit w/ UV Blue Tubing | Corsair Vengeance K70 Keyboard w/ Corsair M65 Mouse

LED for sure.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Alright, should I get both Phobya UV LED stripping and NZXT Blue LED stripping? Or just 120cm of Phobya UV LED stripping? I want the tubes to glow so idk if the blue leds would interfere with the UV lighting

i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz | AMD 7970 @ 1150/1823 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 16GB G.Skill 2133mhz | 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0 & 250GB Samsung Evo SSD | Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra with Side Window | XSPC RX360 Watercooling Kit w/ UV Blue Tubing | Corsair Vengeance K70 Keyboard w/ Corsair M65 Mouse

Alright, should I get both Phobya UV LED stripping and NZXT Blue LED stripping? Or just 120cm of Phobya UV LED stripping? I want the tubes to glow so idk if the blue leds would interfere with the UV lighting

I'd just get the UV LED strips if you just want the tubes to glow. The extra blue wouldn't make it look any better.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

So if I get the UV strips they're will still be blue light in the case then? 

I'd just get the UV LED strips if you just want the tubes to glow. The extra blue wouldn't make it look any better.

So I should just get like 120cm of the UV stripping then? Will my case still have that blueish look to it though? I imagine the tubes will make it glow if they'll be glowing 

So if I get the UV strips they're will still be blue light in the case then? 

So I should just get like 120cm of the UV stripping then? Will my case still have that blueish look to it though? I imagine the tubes will make it glow if they'll be glowing 

The UV strips should give enough light I believe. Then again, if it doesn't, you could always add another set of UV strips. But if you really want that blue LED effect, you can always add them in. There's no way to find out what you like until you test it out, in my opinion.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

The UV strips should give enough light I believe. Then again, if it doesn't, you could always add another set of UV strips. But if you really want that blue LED effect, you can always add them in. There's no way to find out what you like until you test it out, in my opinion.

The UV strips I'm getting will only emit UV, the color is purple. So I'd imagine when the tubing are glowing blue, it will light up the case. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13875/lit-278/Phobya_LED_Flex_Light_144_Count_SMD_LED_Light_Strip_-_120cm_-_UV_83140.html

thats the strip I'm getting, then I'm just going to run it around my case's side panel window. 

The UV strips I'm getting will only emit UV, the color is purple. So I'd imagine when the tubing are glowing blue, it will light up the case. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13875/lit-278/Phobya_LED_Flex_Light_144_Count_SMD_LED_Light_Strip_-_120cm_-_UV_83140.html

thats the strip I'm getting, then I'm just going to run it around my case's side panel window. 

Yeah, it should look good then. I personally wouldn't overpower the UV effect with blue LED. 

Unfortunately Phobya's UV strips do have a purple cast, and aren't only UV like you'd get with a cathode (although given how cathodes are dull, annoying to work with, and prone to just randomly dying, it's still a no-brainer.)

So just something to keep in mind - even with only components that react blue, it's still going to be within a glow of (non-ultra) violet.

Unfortunately Phobya's UV strips do have a purple cast, and aren't only UV like you'd get with a cathode (although given how cathodes are dull, annoying to work with, and prone to just randomly dying, it's still a no-brainer.)

So just something to keep in mind - even with only components that react blue, it's still going to be within a glow of (non-ultra) violet.

So are you saying my tubes will be purple or won't get the glowing blue effect? Also, should I just get 4 of these instead then? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2977/lit-122/Logisys_15_Deluxe_Sound_Activate_Cold_Cathode_Kit_-_UV.html?tl=g6c75s134 My case is pretty massive and I'm not sure how many you need to get a good glowing effect

So are you saying my tubes will be purple or won't get the glowing blue effect? Also, should I just get 4 of these instead then? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2977/lit-122/Logisys_15_Deluxe_Sound_Activate_Cold_Cathode_Kit_-_UV.html?tl=g6c75s134 My case is pretty massive and I'm not sure how many you need to get a good glowing effect

What I'm saying is... actually, I have all of this on hand, so I can just show you.

With a cathode, all you get is UV light coming from it, so only the UV-reactive things in your case will glow (in this case, the tubing and the fan, and then unintentionally also the PCB of my graphics card there.)

uv1r.jpg

(The tubes/fan are UV blue, but the colour reproduction isn't great, so just take my word for it.)  Anyway, with the LED strip, you'll get the benefits of using LEDs (brighter, flexible, no inverter, not prone to crapping out unexpectedly), but it casts violet light as well, and you get something like this:

uv2od.jpg

So the reactive stuff still lights up, but everything will have a purple-washed glow over it as well.

What I'm saying is... actually, I have all of this on hand, so I can just show you.

With a cathode, all you get is UV light coming from it, so only the UV-reactive things in your case will glow (in this case, the tubing and the fan, and then unintentionally also the PCB of my graphics card there.)

uv1r.jpg

(The tubes/fan are UV blue, but the colour reproduction isn't great, so just take my word for it.)  Anyway, with the LED strip, you'll get the benefits of using LEDs (brighter, flexible, no inverter, not prone to crapping out unexpectedly), but it casts violet light as well, and you get something like this:

uv2od.jpg

So the reactive stuff still lights up, but everything will have a purple-washed glow over it as well.

Alright, I think I'm going to get 2 12in UV Cathodes and put 1 on the back panel, and 1 on the top panel and see if I like the effects they give. If not, I'll just buy Blue LED stripping to get more added effects. Thanks for the help! 

leds are much better

What LED strips should i get though, i want red leds but i dont know which ones?

What LED strips should i get though, i want red leds but i dont know which ones?

yuo could get bitfenix alchemy or icemodz.com ones

yuo could get bitfenix alchemy or icemodz.com ones

I was thinking about the Bitfenix ones are they bright and do they give an even light?

I was thinking about the Bitfenix ones are they bright and do they give an even light?

afaik they are some of the best, check out linus's vvideo on them 

NZXT Hue...all the colors you want in one easy package...imo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011&Tpk=nzxt%20hue&IsVirtualParent=1

<p>CM HAF 922 (Akasa Apache 140s/120s for case cooling), ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3570K@4.0Ghz, 16GB Kingston Black @1600 (2x8), Xigmatek DK 2 with 2 xAkasa Apache 120mm, Sapphire 7950 OC CF, NZXT Sentry Mix 2 FC, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD x1, Kingston Hyper X 240GB SSD x1, Seasonic 1050w PSU, Cyborg V5 Keyboard with RAT 3 mouse, ASUS VG248QE 144mhz. monitor