PC Black Screens, Audio Loops and then restarts when playing some games

Go to solution Solved by nikolaizombie1,

I've not got access to different components to test them all separate unfortunately. However, it just started randomly maybe 2 months after I got them, and I they're the only two things to have not changed in my system since it started, I was suspicious of the mobo, but wasn't sure... what do you think? Is there anything I can do to test it without swapping it for another one?

ok can you stress test the cpu, just fine?

if not its the mobo that's defective

Hi Guys, 

Hoping someone here can offer some advice for me. I've been having this issue on and offer the last year or so now, where basically I can be playing a game and then suddenly the screen goes black, the audio will loop the last .5 seconds or so, and then the PC will restart. 

I've had a good look around the web, trust me, and tried a number of things, but I'm still having the issue, most notably with Far Cry 4.

So, before I go any further let me list my PC spec:

CPU: Intel i5 4670k (stock clock speeds)

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti OC DCii 3gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

PSU: Corsair AX760 

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro

Drive: Samsung 840 SSD

Cooling: Corsair H100i

So, back to the issue. I have noticed it across a number of games over the last 12-18 months, though the ones that caused me the most grief that I can remember where Assassins Creed Black Flag, COD Black Ops 2 and now Far Cry 4. So far I've managed to play around 1hr 30 of FC4, but now whenever I load the game, within 5 or so minutes of playing, it will black screen, sound loop and then restart.

As I've said, I've tried a number of things to fix the issue, but so far nothing seems to have worked, let me list what I've tried so far.

I've RMA'd my PSU (for a different reason), but I still get the issue.

I've since rebuilt my entire system with a new cooler (used to be air cooled, now using the H100i), but still get issue

I've since installed Windows 8.1 Pro on a new SSD (clean install) from Windows 7 and still get the issue

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers (which I did anyway when I did a clean install)

I've updated my mobo bios to the latest version

I've updated my graphics drivers to the latest version

I've swapped the PCI-e slot my GPU is sat in

I've swapped the power cables running to my mobo/gpu out, and changed slots etc.

I've run Memtest86 for 2hrs with no errors

I may have done more, but I honestly can't remember.

I have noticed that it does happen during certain times of a game, for instance I recall with AC:BF that it happened when attempted to do the first leap of faith of a ships mast very early on in the game, and now with FC4 it's happened when I load into the game, on the side of a mountain and there is a lot of gunfire from some quarrel down below me. 

Anyway, I'm at a loose end as to what to do, I've tried everything I can think of, plus what random forums have suggested as well... so here's my last hope that someone on here can figure this one out for me.

Thanks in advanced guys! 

Well, I got both the CPU and mobo at the same time, about 10 months ago now.

have you tested the components separately?

the cpu in another mobo and the mobo with another cpu?

since you got those components the issue has been happening?

I've not got access to different components to test them all separate unfortunately. However, it just started randomly maybe 2 months after I got them, and I they're the only two things to have not changed in my system since it started, I was suspicious of the mobo, but wasn't sure... what do you think? Is there anything I can do to test it without swapping it for another one?

if not its the mobo that's defective?

What kind of stress test would you recommend, I have tried Prime95 in the past and not had any problems, unless there is something else you would suggest? 

And out of interest, any idea what would be up with the mobo to cause this issue, especially with only certain games as well. It's weird.

^ This. Or it could be a dying power supply.. Well playing a game, open HWMonitor and watch your 12+ voltage. If it drops below 11.4 and crashes, it could have a problem with regulating voltage.. That's what my power supply is doing.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

^ This. Or it could be a dying power supply.. Well playing a game, open HWMonitor and watch your 12+ voltage. If it drops below 11.4 and crashes, it could have a problem with regulating voltage.. That's what my power supply is doing.

I'd have thought it was the PSU as well, but as I said I've had that RMA'd since getting it, and they gave me a brand new unit when I did that. But I still have the same issue.

Will have a look though now!

ah i haven't thought of that thanks, but he can do the same with a stress test as well

What kind of stress test would you recommend, I have tried Prime95 in the past and not had any problems, unless there is something else you would suggest? 

And out of interest, any idea what would be up with the mobo to cause this issue, especially with only certain games as well. It's weird.

i would advice not to use prime 95 on haswell chips, i would use intel own extreme tuning utility,it could be a faulty anything on the mobo thats causing the issue

ah i haven't thought of that thanks, but he can do the same with a stress test as well

i would advice not to use prime 95 on haswell chips, i would use intel own extreme tuning utility,it could be a faulty anything on the mobo thats causing the issue

Okay, I will give both a go and let you know. I do have a spare PSU around so I can swap that out and try it! 

Otherwise I might just RMA the mobo and see if a new fixes it! Still under the warranty so I should be fine.

Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on.

I'd have thought it was the PSU as well, but as I said I've had that RMA'd since getting it, and they gave me a brand new unit when I did that. But I still have the same issue.

Will have a look though now!

Ok. Sometimes manufactures just to a quick test that can't always determine that it is faulty, and just send it back to you saying either it's fixed, fine, or replaced.. I know that companies do that a lot of GPUs.

Yeah, just running a game that it likes to black screen on and during a stress test is good enough to check.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This is exactly what my 7950 started doing just before it died. My money is on your GPU - it may be on it's last legs. What ever you do, DO NOT run furmark!!!!

If you notice higher loads on your GPU are what trigger the black screens/feezing, then it's most likely your GPU.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Just thought I would update you, I ended up getting a new motherboard yesterday as I couldn't bothered RMA'ing my old one due to time etc. 

Anyway, set it all up and I've been playing FarCry 4 with no issues at all, where before I couldn't even load the game up. For the sake of testing it, I installed Black Flag agin and got to the troublesome area where it used to crash 100% of the time, annnnd YAY it works. So, looks like my Mobo was dodged up. Will RMA it, and then eBay it now though! 

Thanks for the help and advice! 

Hi guys, 

Just thought I would update you, I ended up getting a new motherboard yesterday as I couldn't bothered RMA'ing my old one due to time etc. 

Anyway, set it all up and I've been playing FarCry 4 with no issues at all, where before I couldn't even load the game up. For the sake of testing it, I installed Black Flag agin and got to the troublesome area where it used to crash 100% of the time, annnnd YAY it works. So, looks like my Mobo was dodged up. Will RMA it, and then eBay it now though! 

Thanks for the help and advice! 

well good luck on that