Right now, I can afford to buy:

i5-4690k

GTX980 Reference

Z97-Maximus Hero

and put it with my 1TB WD, 128GB Corsair GT, Corsair 750D, AX760 & H105

or:

MSI X99S-SLI Plus

GTX980 Reference

put with the above mentioned parts, and then buy the CPU & Ram next month.

I might've worded this like shit but should I go Z97 with an i5-4690k and build it today, or wait a month and afford X99 with an i7-5820k.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Are you doing something other than gaming? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What are you going to use it for?

If you have a need now, buy now, otherwise wait until you have a need. I never upgrade hardware until my current hardware isn't performing a task up to snuff, and then I upgrade based on that need. However that advice is usually reserved for people concerned for price to performance as their big priority and are budget limited. Anyway, those parts look a bit like overkill to me unless you have something like a 4k or 144hz display, and even then that MoBo is absolutely ridiculous from a price to performance standpoint.

Also that X99 MoBo has to be paired with different CPU.

So here's where I 

do you only game

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

If you have a need now, buy now, otherwise wait until you have a need. I never upgrade hardware until my current hardware isn't performing a task up to snuff, and then I upgrade based on that need. However that advice is usually reserved for people concerned for price to performance as their big priority and are budget limited. Anyway, those parts look a bit like overkill to me unless you have something like a 4k or 144hz display, and even then that MoBo is absolutely ridiculous from a price to performance standpoint.

this

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

For what you do I don't see that it's a good idea. If you're just wanting to upgrade to an X99 mobo and CPU for the sake of upgrading or bragging rights then that kind of speaks for itself. You don't really need it. Besides, what do you need a 6 course CPU for anyway?

It seems massively overkill for gaming, and like @andre82693 said, I believe it's more suited for video editors. So, I'd personally go for the Z97 board also, because you definitely don't need an X99 board nor a 6 core CPU. Just think logically about this mate. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I am well aware of this. 

For what you do I don't see that it's a good idea. If you're just wanting to upgrade to an X99 mobo and CPU for the sake of upgrading or bragging rights then that kind of speaks for itself. You don't really need it. Besides, what do you need a 6 course CPU for anyway?

It seems massively overkill for gaming, and like @andre82693 said, I believe it's more suited for video editors. So, I'd personally go for the Z97 board also, because you definitely don't need an X99 board nor a 6 core CPU. Just think logically about this mate. ;)

It's not only gaming, I'm heavy on the Adobe suite and am starting out more on blender, I also do not plan to game at 1080p and am going for the 1440p / tri-1080p setup. The 6 cores is mainly to make sure I'm never bottlenecked and leaves me ample space to keep upgrading the conmputer for years to come without a change of platform.

@Geekazoid

@Lotas

@JEman99

I struck a balance. After thinking long and hard about this I have come away with an i7-4790k. Met you perfectly half-way between the i5-4690k and i7-5820k.

@Geekazoid

@Lotas

@JEman99

I struck a balance. After thinking long and hard about this I have come away with an i7-4790k. Met you perfectly half-way between the i5-4690k and i7-5820k.

Great! I also do video editing and my planned build contains a Z97 mobo and an i7 4790K. I don't really think

you need any more than that unless you do video production work for a company. But that's just my opinion. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

So... considering cost-performace, what CPU would you recomend for gaming and CAD modeling? I7 4770 or I7 4790k? 

"Sky above me. Earth below me. Fire within me!"

Emmanuel Zamorano