What's with all the negative reviews on Newegg for the R9 290/X Gpu's?

Dive5885

Title sums it all up..

I'm currently looking on getting a new Gpu and I was looking at the R9 290/X Gpu's on Newegg and a bunch of them had negative reviews..

Makes me honestly want to go with Nvidia this time.. ( First time for everything right ? )

The card I wanted was the PowerColor 290/X but it has some BIOS issue..

What would you guys get if you had budget of $400?

I mainly play @ 1080p on my plasma and Ultra/High settings and would like to get a good 60 Fps.

I would like the gpu to last me for a few years before having to upgrade again.

Thanks!

-Dive5885

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Go Nvidia!

Honestly there's nothing wrong with the 290x unless you go for the reference card.

For $400 though... I'd go with a GTX 970 TBH. 

If it's the ones with reference coolers that are negative it's deserved. They either run 95C or louder than a jet engine

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

GTX 970; more specifically, the Strix.

I bought an AMD card from newegg once... ONCE

Either everyone on newegg is a fanboy or newegg isn't sponsored by AMD and wont take down negative reviews

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

970 over 290x any day

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it's the ones with reference coolers that are negative it's deserved. They either run 95C or louder than a jet engine

You haven't heard anything.

Try 3 - 7950's in Tri-Fire..

My case almost took off.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

I bought an AMD card from newegg once... ONCE

Either everyone on newegg is a fanboy or newegg isn't sponsored by AMD and wont take down negative reviews

Its negative reviews almost on all cards.

Its negative reviews almost on all cards.

Seems like it may be a sign

Seems like it may be a sign

Lol..

I'm enjoying my 8350 at the moment!

Lol..

I'm enjoying my 8350 at the moment!

How's DayZ Standalone playing? I have a 6350 and would never pay such a premium for Intel processors

How's DayZ Standalone playing? I have a 6350 and would never pay such a premium for Intel processors

I haven't played DayZ with the 8350 but It ran fine with my Athlon X4 750K when I did play it

there's nothing wrong with the 290X, i've been very happy with mine. with that said if i were spending ~$400 today i'd get the 970.  performance is on-par with the 290X but it's more efficient (requiring less PSU, if that's an issue for you) and you get access to certain features like DSR, g-sync, etc. 

edit: lepa G1600...psu is certainly not an issue for you :P

i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz

R9 290X @ 1050/1350 MHz

ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q

Titanium HD | JDS Labs O2 | HD650

Honestly there's nothing wrong with the 290x unless you go for the reference card.

For $400 though... I'd go with a GTX 970 TBH. 

I came across this card..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231397513483

Seems like a good deal but it needs to be water Cooled

there's nothing wrong with the 290X, i've been very happy with mine. with that said if i were spending ~$400 today i'd get the 970.  performance is on-par with the 290X but it's more efficient (requiring less PSU, if that's an issue for you) and you get access to certain features like DSR, g-sync, etc. 

Power isn't a problem.

I have 1600w to spare!

Wrong. While they DO run 95ºC, AMD said they were DESINGED to run at such high temps, and it was totally cool (bad pun...).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Wrong. While they DO run 95ºC, AMD said they were DESINGED to run at such high temps, and it was totally cool (bad pun...).

i've had my reference card since release and there's been no issues running at 95C. the downsides to the reference design are hot exhaust temps out the back of the case (supposedly ~150F; feels hot to the hand) and quite a bit of noise.  i game with headphones on so noise is not an issue for me.  what noise i can hear (open headphones) is white-noise and it doesn't bother me. 

i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz

R9 290X @ 1050/1350 MHz

ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q

Titanium HD | JDS Labs O2 | HD650

the 970 and 290x are both really great cards, with very similar performance.  The differences are subtle, but I went for the 970.  Less heat output and noise was my main thing.  I think the 290x might be a little faster though. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

The nvidia gtx 970 is around the same price and will give you MORE FRAMES FOR YOUR MONEY and better features like shadowplay and gsync. Especially the 970 can overclock WAY more than the 290x which will get you yet even MORE frames.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

If you have a $400 budget, there's no question. GTX 970 all day any day

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

The nvidia gtx 970 is around the same price and will give you MORE FRAMES FOR YOUR MONEY and better features like shadowplay and gsync. Especially the 970 can overclock WAY more than the 290x which will get you yet even MORE frames.

Well I can get a good deal on a watercooled 290x but I have no clue how to setup a water cooling loop , I was thinking of using the H220X but then again I have no clue how to set it up.

The problem might be that the quality of 290xs varies greatly depending on manufacturer and model. Go with the cheapest brand and its rolling the dice. Also the reference cooler is complete shit. If you have a quality brand like sapphire or MSI you don't really hear of many problems.

Also keep in mind if people bother to post a review, it tends to be to complain. If I read user reviews Id think the 970 was a complete piece of shit too because of all the complaints about coil whine, less than expected performance, problems in SLI, etc.

Lots of people here have 290/x's and I rarely hear of any problems with the better brands.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Title sums it all up..

I'm currently looking on getting a new Gpu and I was looking at the R9 290/X Gpu's on Newegg and a bunch of them had negative reviews..

Makes me honestly want to go with Nvidia this time.. ( First time for everything right ? )

The card I wanted was the PowerColor 290/X but it has some BIOS issue..

I mainly play @ 1080p on my plasma and Ultra/High settings and would like to get a good 60 Fps.

I would like the gpu to last me for a few years before having to upgrade again.

Thanks!

-Dive5885

Honestly, I'd suggest a R9 290X or R9 290 from Sapphire; a Vapor-X or Tri-X will be just fine. Just remember that while your temps and sound will be okay, about 300W TDP of heat needs to get dispelled somewhere, so make sure your case has some good airflow etc.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I came across this card..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231397513483

Seems like a good deal but it needs to be water Cooled

290X with an EK block. Not much different. 

Power isn't a problem.

I have 1600w to spare!

1600W? Impluse buyer?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III