4K IPS monitor from Dell strting at $599

MasterJV

Well what people forget is that you can have 4K for work, and then for games, play them 1080p.

The monitor is 4x 1080p, so dropping the resolution from 4K down to 1080p won't be blurry, as you are using 4 pixels to form 1.

Sure it wont' be super ultra sharp, but I said gaming, not work... work at 1080 on it, is a waste of money, just get a normal 1080p monitor, or better yet 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor.

What I find interesting is that the 24inch cost less than the 27inch. higher the pixel density, means the panel cost more to produce, yet it is is cheaper.

If I was looking to buy a monitor, I would get the 24inch one for maximum pixel density for the smoothest text, and detail icons and images (like high resolution displays on smartphones).

For 5K I might jump to 27/28inch.

Korean 1440p still wins me over for gaming, but for things like video editing, this looks like a great choice.

Yep; lets just wait until QNIX gets the 2nd rate panels. 

Nice, but I'm not sure I want to commit to 4K. Games are hard enough to run at 1440P, 4K is just a little to much for current GPU's. 

just game at 1080 for now..., just because it has 4K res, that doesn't mean you have to have 4K res for everything you do on it. #PCMasterBlasphemy

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

24 inch, that dpi

185 ppi, even more then the non-retina iPad Mini/iPhone. Wow

"Rawr XD"

Well what people forget is that you can have 4K for work, and then for games, play them 1080p.

The monitor is 4x 1080p, so dropping the resolution from 4K down to 1080p won't be blurry, as you are using 4 pixels to form 1.

Sure it wont' be super ultra sharp, but I said gaming, not work... work at 1080 on it, is a waste of money, just get a normal 1080p monitor, or better yet 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor.

What I find interesting is that the 24inch cost less than the 27inch. higher the pixel density, means the panel cost more to produce, yet it is is cheaper.

If I was looking to buy a monitor, I would get the 24inch one for maximum pixel density for the smoothest text, and detail icons and images (like high resolution displays on smartphones).

For 5K I might jump to 27/28inch.

just game at 1080 for now..., just because it has 4K res, that doesn't mean you have to have 4K res for everything you do on it. #PCMasterBlasphemy

There might be input lag from the conversion.

As someone with a 1440p 27" monitor right now I personally want a 4k 32" display. I feel that size would allow running it at pure native resolution without too much trouble once the UI got scaled accordingly. I have a MacBook Pro with HiDPI and it's kind of a waste because it doesn't provide extra screen space. 

There might be input lag from the conversion.

As someone with a 1440p 27" monitor right now I personally want a 4k 32" display. I feel that size would allow running it at pure native resolution without too much trouble once the UI got scaled accordingly. I have a MacBook Pro with HiDPI and it's kind of a waste because we it doesn't provide extra screen space. 

It's not the monitor that does the conversion. It';s the GPU that works with a smaller frame buffer (1920x1080, instead of 4K one).

So there is no lag of any kind, beside performance increase, due to the smaller frame buffer, which mean that the GPU has less work to draw each frame.

The idea is not screen space. The idea is exactly like your smartphone and tablet, is smooth and easy to read text and able to have sharper and crisper images and icons and such.

It's all about viewing experience. And considering that many of us uses computers all day, for over 5 to 7 days a week.. it's not bad a thing enjoying rich colors, wide veiwing angles (IPS), and now high details.

185 ppi, even more then the non-retina iPad Mini/iPhone. Wow

Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 have a 208ppi, 264ppi for the retina iPad.

Using the Surface Pro at 100% DPI (default) is actually fine. You can read fine the screen, assuming decently good eyes.

So if you say is it 185ppi (I didn't do the math) it will be a bit bigger.

It's not the monitor that does the conversion. It';s the GPU that works with a smaller frame buffer (1920x1080, instead of 4K one).

So there is no lag of any kind, beside performance increase, due to the smaller frame buffer, which mean that the GPU has less work to draw each frame.

The idea is not screen space. The idea is exactly like your smartphone and tablet, is smooth and easy to read text and able to have sharper and crisper images and icons and such.

It's all about viewing experience. And considering that many of us uses computers all day, for over 5 to 7 days a week.. it's not bad a thing enjoying rich colors, wide veiwing angles (IPS), and now high details.

I thought most games override your OS's resolution setting so the games would need to be coded for HIDPI (4x) support. 

Viewing experience. Personally I notice more detail on my 27" 1440p panel then on my 15" retina MacBook Pro panel inspite of the lower ppi because of the larger screen size. Likewise I can't even tell the difference between ~720p on my iPhone 6 and 1080p on my iPhone 6 Plus because the screens are so small. For AA higher resolution helps but without a larger screen size the new detail is hard to see. 

I thought most games override your OSes resolution setting so the games would need to be coded for HIDPI (4x) support. 

Hmm no. The game ignores your Windows DPI setting, as it doesn't support it. The game screen resolution that you want to make it use, is defined in the game. Set your games at 1080p, and voila.

If a game does support high-DPI / high-DPI aware (let see them learn about Windows folders first, such as Save Games folder, and Temp directory, and not dump everything in My Documents) it would mean that the HUD will get bigger with more details and sharpness, but the game itself will be rendered as expected based on the defined resolution no mater the Windows DPI setting used (like if you are playing the game at 100% DPI and enjoying the 4K-Advantage). In other words: the game itself, without the HUD elements will be rendered like if it was under 100% DPI, the the HUD will be bigger as that would follow the DPI setting of Windows (if set to 200% DPI in Windows, and on a 4K monitor, the HUD should be about the same size as if you were a 1080p monitor, but it will have far more details, as you have more pixels for the HUD design)

Hmm no. The game ignores your Windows DPI setting, as it doesn't support it. The game screen resolution that you want to make it use, is defined in the game. Set your games at 1080p, and voila.

If a game does support high-DPI / high-DPI aware (let see them learn about Windows folders first, such as Save Games folder, and Temp directory, and not dump everything in My Documents) it would mean that the HUD will get bigger with more details and sharpness, but the game itself will be rendered as expected based on the defined resolution no mater the Windows DPI setting used (like if you are playing the game at 100% DPI and enjoying the 4K-Advantage). In other words: the game itself, without the HUD elements will be rendered like if it was under 100% DPI, the the HUD will be bigger as that would follow the DPI setting of Windows (if set to 200% DPI in Windows, and on a 4K monitor, the HUD should be about the same size as if you were a 1080p monitor, but it will have far more details, as you have more pixels for the HUD design)

If you set the games to 1080p then the monitor will receive a 1080p signal and the monitor will have to process to the signal to native 4k" resolution before displaying it hence increased signal lag. 

If the game is rendered in HiDPI then the monitor would receive a 4k signal with a 1080p game and 4k UI, like you say, so the monitor won't have to process the signal further.

Also I just did some interesting math:

24” @ 1080p = 92ppi

27” @ 1440p = 109ppi

32” @ 4k = 138ppi 

27" @ 4k = 163ppi

So 32" would be a good jump in terms of both screen area and ppi. 

If you set the games to 1080p then the monitor will receive a 1080p signal and your monitor will have to process to the signal to native 4k" resolution hence increased input lag. 

If the game is rendered in HiDPI then the monitor would receive a 4k signal with a 1080p game and 4k UI, like you say, so the monitor won't have to process the signal further.

Ok fine, technically speaking the monitor does to some level process the image, but the processing is the same as if there is no scale. In fact, as the frame it received is smaller, it is quicker to process. So assuming that you have an ultra sucky monitor with an abysmal slow ass controller inside, the scaling will the offseted, so the time will be the virtually the same.

Also I just did some interesting math:

24” @ 1080p = 92ppi

27” @ 1440p = 109ppi

32” @ 4k = 138ppi 

27" @ 4k = 163ppi

So 32" would be a good jump in terms of both screen area and ppi. 

I would argue that you can set Windows to 150% DPI scaling and enjoy both.