Phoebus vs STX II 7.1

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I am thinking about a dedicated soundcard and am basically torn between these two:

Asus ROG Phoebus

Asus Xonar STX II 7.1

I currently have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 headphones.

I also got a sweat deal on a pair of Razer Tiamat 7.1 analogs and am waiting delivery.

Form what I read, the Phoebus have better drivers and software for gaming with profiles and such.

The STX II is supposed to be more of an audiophile card with a better DAC and an amplified 6.3mm headphone port.

I do 80% gaming on my rig and 20% music listening.

For music I also have an Ibasso R10 player.

What is the better option? The Phoebus to use with the Tiamat for gaming?

Or the STX to use the 7.1 output for gaming and the 6.3mm with the X1 for music?

The STX would require RCS to 3.5mm adapters.

The STX costs double the price of the Phoebus.

What's your experience on this?

Thanks.

Cheers!

First of all the STX II is a great sound card, while the phoebus focuses at gaming. I personaly hate when software messes up with the audio and that's why you souldn't care about software too :P
Also, since the X1 are low impedance you should look for an amp with low output impedance (like the O2) 
However i don't believe you need an amp...
And remember, external is (almost) always better.

Both are trash, have at least 10 ohm output impedance (I did some research on the STX II and it might even be 40 ohm output impedance) making it too much for your headphones. the Razer headset is absolutely disgusting. I'd even go so far as to say that your Fidelio X1's are much better for gaming, due to the open nature of the headphones and the generally high quality sound. As long as your motherboard is relatively new and doesn't have crackling or something like that it should be just fine sticking with that.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

My current board is a Msi Gaming 9. It has good audio. And the 7.1 analog outputs. I was just wondering if it would have enough output to power all the tiamat channels.

I read that the tiamat is not so good for sound quality, but is it that bad for strictly gaming? I think the 7.1 should be a plus for directional audio and positioning.

I ordered it since I got it at 50% off price.

Cheers!

My current board is a Msi Gaming 9. It has good audio. And the 7.1 analog outputs. I was just wondering if it would have enough output to power all the tiamat channels.

I read that the tiamat is not so good for sound quality, but is it that bad for strictly gaming? I think the 7.1 should be a plus for directional audio and positioning.

I ordered it since I got it at 50% off price.

Cheers!

It should have enough power indeed.

The 7.1 doesn't REALLY work as the drivers are in a very small space, a good set of headphones probably produce more accurate audio, both positioning-wise and general audio quality.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Thanks for your reply.

A sound card is off then.

As for the tiamat, I'll try them against the x1 when they arrive.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. A sound card is off then. As for the tiamat, I'll try them against the x1 when they arrive. Cheers

Be sure to let us know what you think

dont know about STXII but Phoebus has the worst driver support. i returned mine after a few months as crackling noses started to appear. 

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

I still haven't received them, but once I do, I will be sure to post my impressions here.

As for the sound card, going to use the onboard for now.

Cheers!

only issue I had with the X1 is that the headband JUST barely fit my head

the X1 doesn't fit my head :P

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Just an update. And an update to agree with all that's been said about the Razer Tiamats...

They are a big piece of crap!!!

Received them on Monday, plugged them in, tried them, unplugged them, boxed them and they were sold today! Goodbye!

After tried the Razers, I went online and ordered a pair of HyperX Clouds.

Hope they turn out to be better. :)

Cheers!

Be sure to let us know what you think

My opinion is on the post above. :)

Even my Citiscape Uptowns are so ahead of the Razers, that it's not even a fair comparison... Let alone the X1's... :)