Is This Safe?

Froggyy0
Go to solution Solved by Hyydrah,

You should be fine. Just periodically check the temperature with your hand and judge for yourself whether it will be acceptable.

Hey guys, i'm just working of some desk cable managment and i almost got to the point where i could use my set up again and "Is this safe?" Came to mind! Could anyone give advise?

post-19794-0-05915900-1370898552_thumb.j

post-19794-0-78094100-1370898565_thumb.j

post-19794-0-12009400-1370898579_thumb.j

Sorry about the pics, this was done on my iPhone! Damn apple! :P

I'm guessing it is unless the wires were exposed. It's going to be a nightmare to sort out though when the time comes for it.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I'm guessing it is unless the wires were exposed. It's going to be a nightmare to sort out though when the time comes for it.

I was thinking more Overheating=Fire? It that possible theres a few power bricks behind there!

I don't think there should be a problem. I bet there are a lot of people out there that have worse cable management, and have no fire hazard or anything. So, I think you should be just fine. 

I don't think there should be a problem. I bet there are a lot of people out there that have worse cable management, and have no fire hazard or anything. So, I think you should be just fine.

Thanks! Now i can sleep at night!

None of these devices draw enough power to cause any damage. If you think about it, a Triple monitor setup, with a super high end multi GPU PC, speakers and all the peripherals you could image will never draw 2000W, which is how much an average kettle draws...

You should be fine. Just periodically check the temperature with your hand and judge for yourself whether it will be acceptable.

None of these devices draw enough power to cause any damage. If you think about it, a Triple monitor setup, with a super high end multi GPU PC, speakers and all the peripherals you could image will never draw 2000W, which is how much an average kettle draws...

Whoaa! I'm never boiling the kettle again! XD

Will do! Thanks mate!

Sorry, that's just completely incorrect. 

Almost every house uses 15 Amp breakers. Also, these houses almost always use 120 ish volts.

Wattage = Voltage * Amperage

2000 W = 120 V * Amperage

2000 W / 120 V = Amperage

Amperage = 16.66 Amps

That would blow the break in almost every house.

The maximum amount of power you can draw from a normal outlet (this isn't the degradation of copper either, which can cause the wire to heat up when pulling alot of electricity) is 1850 Watts (which is equal to 15 Amps on a 120V line).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Sorry, that's just completely incorrect. 

Almost every house uses 15 Amp breakers. Also, these houses almost always use 120 ish volts.

Wattage = Voltage * Amperage

2000 W = 120 V * Amperage

2000 W / 120 V = Amperage

Amperage = 16.66 Amps

That would blow the break in almost every house.

The maximum amount of power you can draw from a normal outlet (this isn't the degradation of copper either, which can cause the wire to heat up when pulling alot of electricity) is 1850 Watts (which is equal to 15 Amps on a 120V line).

Feel free to check your own kettle :P 

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081120053950AAjvaXy

http://www.daftlogic.com/information-appliance-power-consumption.htm

http://www.infomania.co.uk/archives/34

I don't use an electric kettle. And you're still overloading the circuit.

A lot of the places you linked me were in the UK, which makes the calculations wrong due to different line voltages.

Here is the proper calculations for a 240 v line:

2000 watts = 240 volts * amperage

2000 watts / 240 volts = amperage

Amperage = 8.33 Amps

Which as you can tell is less than the 15 amp max for the breaker.

The max wattage on a 240 volt line is:

Wattage = 240 volts * 15 amps

Wattage = 3600 watts

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Been running for about 2 days now, and the temperature seems cool to the hand. Thanks to everyone!