Project "Acanthoscurria" (5960x, GTX980 sli, AX1200i, 850 Pro 1TB, Acrylic Primochill Tubing, DDR4 2400mhz, AlphaCool )

eBiz

This past week has been really rough for me. I have been dealing with a serious issue with this new build. To save some time I just will copy and paste the issue from the LTT Troubleshooting section...

"So my current issue is that I reinstalled windows and started loading the drivers on the cd that came with my motherboard. Everytime it gets to the wifi/bluetooth driver the computer freezes. I don't know what to do at this point?

If I start from the beginning, I built this new pc, everything was working perfect. I installed windows for the first time and installed the drivers on the cd with no issues. Once connected to the internet I updated the nvidia drivers downloaded the windows updates. I downloaded steam and orgin and downloaded two games. The PC was perfect at this point. Then at some point it lost internet connection. I didn't think much of this so  I updated the BIOS from version 804 to 1103. I started troubleshooting the intetnet issue and I found out the Broadcom 802.11ac driver was not working properly. At this point I decided to restore the PC to a date when the internet was working. That didn't fix the issue so I decided to lose the games I downloaded and reinstall windows. Now when I try to install the drivers that came with the CD it freezes everytime it gets to the wifi driver. I downloaded the lastest wifi driver from the ASUS website on USB and it still freezes when I try to download it. When this happens I have to restart the PC. One time when I was restarting the pc after the freeze it goes to to the blue screen and says  "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" .

This message means one of two things, I have a corrupt driver, or a fatal hardware error has occurred. I did some research on troubleshooting this WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and did the required steps to find the issue. One of which is running CHKDSC in the command prompt while in safe mode. The test results came up clean. The other step is running a memory test for the ram and this came up clean as well.

The part that I don't get is that everything was working perfectly the first time I installed everything and now it doesn't. Everything is the exact same except I have the latest bios."

The BSOD

IMG_0940_zps8732d45a.jpg

The drivers in question

brokencomputer_zpsd5993e53.jpg

The exact point of the freeze when downloading from the MB disc

I thought I would never get this solved. This morning  I was planned on buying another $400 X99 deluxe from Fryes. As I was getting ready to leave with my keys in my hand I decide to reload BIOS 1103 just to see what happens. This time I used the "EZ FLASH" button on the rear I/O instead of using the UEFI like I did the last time. I booted up the pc after the flash and tried to load the drivers again and much to my surprise everything worked perfectly. I was able to see all the networks and connect to the internet with no problems. I also tested the Bluetooth with my 6 plus and that worked too. I cant explain how happy I am getting this fixed without have to spend another $400 or having to wait for a RMA. It has been stable all day so hopefully it stays that way. I am now just a little confused how the BIOS did not load correctly the first time?

This past week has been really rough for me. I have been dealing with a serious issue with this new build. To save some time I just will copy and paste the issue from the LTT Troubleshooting section...

"So my current issue is that I reinstalled windows and started loading the drivers on the cd that came with my motherboard. Everytime it gets to the wifi/bluetooth driver the computer freezes. I don't know what to do at this point?

If I start from the beginning, I built this new pc, everything was working perfect. I installed windows for the first time and installed the drivers on the cd with no issues. Once connected to the internet I updated the nvidia drivers downloaded the windows updates. I downloaded steam and orgin and downloaded two games. The PC was perfect at this point. Then at some point it lost internet connection. I didn't think much of this so  I updated the BIOS from version 804 to 1103. I started troubleshooting the intetnet issue and I found out the Broadcom 802.11ac driver was not working properly. At this point I decided to restore the PC to a date when the internet was working. That didn't fix the issue so I decided to lose the games I downloaded and reinstall windows. Now when I try to install the drivers that came with the CD it freezes everytime it gets to the wifi driver. I downloaded the lastest wifi driver from the ASUS website on USB and it still freezes when I try to download it. When this happens I have to restart the PC. One time when I was restarting the pc after the freeze it goes to to the blue screen and says  "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" .

This message means one of two things, I have a corrupt driver, or a fatal hardware error has occurred. I did some research on troubleshooting this WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and did the required steps to find the issue. One of which is running CHKDSC in the command prompt while in safe mode. The test results came up clean. The other step is running a memory test for the ram and this came up clean as well.

The part that I don't get is that everything was working perfectly the first time I installed everything and now it doesn't. Everything is the exact same except I have the latest bios."

The BSOD

IMG_0940_zps8732d45a.jpg

The drivers in question

The exact point of the freeze when downloading from the MB disc

I thought I would never get this solved. This morning  I was planned on buying another $400 X99 deluxe from Fryes. As I was getting ready to leave with my keys in my hand I decide to reload BIOS 1103 just to see what happens. This time I used the "EZ FLASH" button on the rear I/O instead of using the UEFI like I did the last time. I booted up the pc after the flash and tried to load the drivers again and much to my surprise everything worked perfectly. I was able to see all the networks and connect to the internet with no problems. I also tested the Bluetooth with my 6 plus and that worked too. I cant explain how happy I am getting this fixed without have to spend another $400 or having to wait for a RMA. It has been stable all day so hopefully it stays that way. I am now just a little confused how the BIOS did not load correctly the first time?

Sometimes you just have to let your PC do it's seizures and it'll be all right. >Insert are you feeling it now mr. krabs? joke here<

Computers are just like indecisive morons sometimes. just the way it is.

Really nice build.
The 540 is a real pleasure to build in (yeah, i build in other brands too :P )

I like how you took time to run the acrylic tubes in the smaller chamber too, and not just hid away it with tubing :)

I´m HP, the Bitfenix community rep. on LTT - Answering your questions about our products and hanging around in the forums!
Feel free to ask questions in the forums - Personal support issues/RMA -> support.bitfenix.com

Really nice build.

The 540 is a real pleasure to build in (yeah, i build in other brands too :P )

I like how you took time to run the acrylic tubes in the smaller chamber too, and not just hid away it with tubing :)

Thanks man,

When the build was on the drawing board I thought I was set going with a Caselabs TH10a. However once I saw the white version of the 540 I had to do a white/black build in it. Plus the 540 has a significantly smaller footprint which I like.

Those bends behind the MB were by far the hardest in the build. I did buy soft tubing in case I wanted to take the easy way out but I'm glad I went with the acrylic now that the loops all done.

the kill coil is best in the reservoir unless someone proves me otherwise 

I thought putting it in the tubing might provide better contact with all the fluid but I ended up just putting it in the res.

My OCD is just... That long run going to the in port on the CPU block is not perfectly vertical. I love the build and it looks great, though. It's just that one bend that's getting inside of mind... 

My OCD is just... That long run going to the in port on the CPU block is not perfectly vertical. I love the build and it looks great, though. It's just that one bend that's getting inside of mind... 

Uggh, Yeah your right. That was my first bend using acrylic tubing and I noticed that right away. It bugs the shit out of me too. The only reason I haven't changed it  is because I will be watercooling the graphics cards soon and I'll have to re-do that section. I think I have enough tubing to fix it but if I mess up I might have to buy more tubing for the graphics card.

Wow, quite a dream built for me. Wanted upgrade to X99 + DDR4 but price just for processor mobo and DDR4 cost almost 1K USD so have to hold it till price drop.

Yeah, I have to admit that the price to performance ration isn't quite there yet. I was considering on just going with a single stick of ram and waiting for prices to drop to save money.

I took care of it today, it's just the most I've racked up in a long time.

if you don't mind me asking,  how much total?  including the price of sli 980 8gb edition

I'm guessing 10k plus

if you don't mind me asking,  how much total?  including the price of sli 980 8gb edition

I'm guessing 10k plus

10k for this rig? NO....a 10k rig would just be absurd. If I remember right Linus' ultimate water cooling build with like 2 SLI titans was like 6k...

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I'm guessing 10k plus

I haven't actually sat and wrote all the prices down yet. I saved $1000+ of money not going with Case Labs cause I would have needed way more water cooling stuff to fill up a TH10 or STH10.  I think it was about 6k but lets see..

5960x $1,050

980 SLI $1300

850 pro $700 (overpaid for this one)

Corsair Vengence Ram 32gb $700

WD Red 4tb $160

X99 Deluxe $380

All watercooling stuff (estimate $600)

540 Carbide $140

5 JetFlo fans $100

Icy Dock Unit $120

Sleeving and tools $60

Samsung 4k monitor $380

So I was close it all comes in at $5690 unless I'm forgetting something. The builds not done yet though. It needs one/two WD Reds for a raid set up, case lighting, PCIe or M.2 boot drive and when higher vram maxwell cards come out two of those too.  Once that happens I'll have to redo he section of the loop and I will finally feel this build is complete.

I guess after everything said and done, we're looking at 7K  here.   You're going to be able to play most games @ 4k maxed out.

I haven't actually sat and wrote all the prices down yet. I saved $1000+ of money not going with Case Labs cause I would have needed way more water cooling stuff to fill up a TH10 or STH10.  I think it was about 6k but lets see..

5960x $1,050

980 SLI $1300

850 pro $700 (overpaid for this one)

Corsair Vengence Ram 32gb $700

WD Red 4tb $160

X99 Deluxe $380

All watercooling stuff (estimate $600)

540 Carbide $140

5 JetFlo fans $100

Icy Dock Unit $120

Sleeving and tools $60

Samsung 4k monitor $380

So I was close it all comes in at $5690 unless I'm forgetting something. The builds not done yet though. It needs one/two WD Reds for a raid set up, case lighting, PCIe or M.2 boot drive and when higher vram maxwell cards come out two of those too.  Once that happens I'll have to redo that section of the loop and then I will finally feel this build is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess after everything said and done, we're looking at 7K  here.   You're going to be able to play most games @ 4k maxed out.

So far its been able to play every game maxed out at 4k except crysis 3, which it play at around 45fps with sli no overclock.