computer on desk

spwath

My computer is pretty heavy, not sure of my desk can support it. My desk I build, and it's mounted to the wall. The supports day 500lb, so would it be fine if I put it on the wood right above the suport ?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

My computer is pretty heavy, not sure of my desk can support it. My desk I build, and it's mounted to the wall. The supports day 500lb, so would it be fine if I put it on the wood right above the suport ?

If its set up the way im picturing it, then yes. 

Although, if the desk is supported on just one side by two supports, and not driven into a beam on the other side, then i'd be a bit hesitant depending on how large the support leg is. (i.e. if the computer is directly on top of the support leg then it should be no problem, if the support leg is just up front and the back support isn't in a beam, then there would be a decent amount of weight on the wall support -- which would bother me).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

should be fine, unless you have a monster of a setup

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

should be fine

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

If its set up the way im picturing it, then yes.

Although, if the desk is supported on just one side by two supports, and not driven into a beam on the other side, then i'd be a bit hesitant depending on how large the support leg is. (i.e. if the computer is directly onto of the support leg then it should be no problem, if the support leg is just up front and the back support isn't in a beam, then there would be a decent amount of weight on the wall support).

I'm confused on the second part. The desk is connected to the wall by the triangle brace things and it is in the stud on the wall

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I just put my computer on a table next to my desk.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I would say it is perfectly fine. but if you are a bit hesitant about it then you could just leave it on the floor if you have hardwood. if carpet then it would be questionable where to put it.

-Zinqs [-] i7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz [-] 2x EVGA Gtx 980 SC [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] 16gb Dominator Platinum [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zinqs/saved/#savedbuild_1641021

Try sitting on your desk by slowly applying more of your weight

You probably way a lot more than your PC, so it'll be a good controllable gauge of how much it can hold

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Is this what you mean by the way your desk is set up? There are no supports sitting on the floor. The supports are just drilled into the wall.

If so then you are basically face with the law of the level situation. Torque = force x  perpendicular distance.

To reduce the torque you need to minimise the distance since the force (weight of PC) is constant. Putting your PC as close to the wall as possible will minimise the perpendicular distance.

post-8262-0-42854900-1415924274_thumb.pn

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Is this what you mean by the way your desk is set up? There is no supports sitting on the floor. The supports are just drilled into the wall?

If so then you are basically face with the law of the level situation. Torque = force x perpendicular distance.

To reduce the torque you need to minimise the distance as the force is constant. Putting your PC as close to the wall as possible will minimise the perpendicular distance.

desk.png

Yes that's exactly it. I think I'll just put my PC on the floor or a stool. Don't want to break my desk/the wall

Yes that's exactly it. I think I'll just put my PC on the floor or a stool. Don't want to break my desk/the wall

That sounds like a good idea ;)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I'm confused on the second part. The desk is connected to the wall by the triangle brace things and it is in the stud on the wall

Oh, then it's fine. 

I thought you meant it was mounted more perpendicular against the wall with a support in the front right and front left corner. 

_MG_0066.JPG

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

• 11 months later...